Fitbit Flex help

So I am a little worried and confused

I got a fitbit flex for Christmas and just started using it today. I synced it with mfp, all stats are the same. and both apps are at -.5lbs a week. I turned on negative calorie adjustment as well.

I went to work and exercised today and walked 25,537 steps which is around 10.42 miles. so my fitbit added 1,009 extra calories to my mfp account for the day. my goal is normally 1450 without exercise or anything. so this is what my diary is showing me on my phone. Goal 1450 - food 851 + 1,010 exercise = 1,609 calories. and in cardio exercise it says fitbit calorie adjustment (based on your measured activity) 1,010.

Does this all sound right? do i have to add my calories from my workout onto mfp or did my fitbit already take them into account and i don't have to worry about them at all. I want to make sure I'm not eating a ton of food and ruining my progress. :smile:

Replies

• forthering210
    forthering210 Posts: 1 Member
    yes the fitbit tracks all actual calories lost. now i dont have to worry about entering my workouts becasue when i sync my fitbit at night it does it for me :smile: i love that!!!
  • Abs_and_Kitties
    Abs_and_Kitties Posts: 21 Member
    Thank you very much! I was just so nervous because there is so many more calories then I've been used to but I guess I've been under estimating and figured since i was just walking at work it didn't really add up!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your activity level.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your Fitbit adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Abs_and_Kitties
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your activity level.

If you eat back your Fitbit adjustments, you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

And thank you again! You've been a huge help!
  • editorgrrl
    See my edit above that you must enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Abs_and_Kitties
    See my edit above that you must enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I enabled it when you mentioned it on the first post! Thank you :)
  • Abs_and_Kitties
    Oh sorry guys one more thing! I just finished my eating for the day and MFP says im under budget (which is great) but fitbit says im over by 567 .... so am I under or over? am I over eating?
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited May 2015
    Oh sorry guys one more thing! I just finished my eating for the day and MFP says im under budget (which is great) but fitbit says im over by 567 .... so am I under or over? am I over eating?

On the Fitbit Dashboard, roll your mouse over the dinner plate icon with the fork/spoon where it shows the cals over. You'll see a number like 1388/1176 (example only) and the words "EATEN". This means you have logged 1388 calories in MFP but should have eaten just 1176 in order to be at the deficit you chose in Fitbit, considering how many calories you burned that day. In other words, you should have eaten 212 calories less, or burned 212 calories more, according to Fitbit's expectations in order for you to achieve the daily deficit you selected.

55835802.png

• Abs_and_Kitties
    sodakat wrote: »

On the Fitbit Dashboard, roll your mouse over the dinner plate icon with the fork/spoon where it shows the cals over. You'll see a number like 1388/1176 (example only) and the words "EATEN". This means you have logged 1388 calories in MFP but should have eaten just 1176 in order to be at the deficit you chose in Fitbit, considering how many calories you burned that day. In other words, you should have eaten 212 calories less, or burned 212 calories more, according to Fitbit's expectations in order for you to achieve the daily deficit you selected.

55835802.png

Thank you for your explanation, I'm still having a little bit of trouble understanding. you see I work 8 our shifts 5x's a week, I walk almost always over 20,000 steps per shift. then I work out 3x's a week on top of that. but my MFP and Fitbit settings are at lightly active. so should I change that?
  • editorgrrl

Fitbit prorates your calories by time of day—and goes below 1,200.

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal & follow MFP's, eating back your Fitbit adjustments.
  • Abs_and_Kitties

Fitbit prorates your calories by time of day—and goes below 1,200.

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal & follow MFP's, eating back your Fitbit adjustments.

Okay thank you that's what I needed to know!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    If you are walking 20,000 steps in a normal day you are at least active. I am set at lightly active and I average 10 - 12k steps a day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    You don't have to worry about adding the additional calories from exercise since FitBit already did that for you.

I don't eat back all my FitBit adjustment. I eat back about half since I feel it is a bloated stat. Some others will say it is right on, but I haven't found that personally to be the case.

I found that it was too high at the beginning but the longer I wore it, the more accurate the numbers became. It takes the calories you log into MFP and the weight you lose and calculates your TDEE from that.

OP, start by eating back 50%. If you find that you are losing too fast, then start eating more of them back. Give it a couple of months to get a more accurate number.