how do you walk?

Options
While walking down the street, do you look down at the ground or look straight ahead?

Looking straight ahead, shoulders back and down, chest proud and belly button drawn into the spine will give you a great core workout. AND, making eye contact with even one person and smiling at them could be the only smile of their day. Be proud of who you are and be contagious about it!!

SEIZE THE DAY!!!

Replies

• ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Nice - I do look down more often than not and have been working at looking up - thanks for the suggestions - Will work on the things listed :)
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    love it!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i am afraid i am one of these who put my head to the ground......and yes i have nearly walked into some builders bloody broomstick he had across tyhe path!! lol
    but i do give the odd smile and dont you just hate it tho when they look at you like what the f*** because you smiled at them!!! there loss :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

Depends on the time of year - LOL!
    In the spring, before they've cleared off the salt and sand, I definitely keep my eyes on the sidewalk. That is some scary terrain!
    But, once it's all cleaned up, I can walk talk and proud and nod and say hello to passersby.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    thank you! love it!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I look to my left, and to my right. Sometimes over my shoulder.. well, over my shoulder a lot. You know, to see if they're looking back.

Girls are a lot better at not looking back than I am.

Gotta watch out for ducks though.. its a little embarrassing tripping over one when you are trying to look cool.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    As an aviation mechanic, I have to admit that I walk with my eyes down EVERYWHERE I go... I have this habit of looking for FOD... LOL... Anyway, My mom also walks with her eyes on the ground, but carries a plastic shopping bag with her and gathers trash and debris she finds along the way to help beautify her neighborhood...

But that doesn't mean either of us doesn't look up and smile and sometimes even make a cordial greeting to anyone else who happens to be out and about as well.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I put one foot in front of the other, then soon I'm walking across the floor. I put one foot in front of the other, and soon I'll be heading out the door.

Excellent Santa Claus is Coming to Town reference.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    and feet straight ahead, no pigeon toes, no waddling

sorry I just needed to add that. It makes me so sad to see people walk with their feet pointed inward or outward
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I put one foot in front of the other, then soon I'm walking across the floor. I put one foot in front of the other, and soon I'll be heading out the door.

HA!! This gets stuck in my head ALL the time!!!

and to the OP.... Great post! We can all use this reminder!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Nice idea! I look at the ground, because otherwise there is a pretty high chance I will tread in dog poo or trip over a fallen branch or uneven bit of pavement. The roads here aren't great. I also have to keep an eye on the children so they don't leg it, or walk backwards into someone.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Do you drive a car? Same principal you scan ahead you don't look under the hood as you pass over things
    proper posture is even more important when you are running, where bad posture will lead to injury sooner rather than later...
    and scanning ahead peripherally is equally or even more important when you are on ice or road skates where a little variation in the texture can totally wipe you out...

Imagine a straight line running through the center of your core and through your hips to the soles of your feet...that's how you want the weight to land.... try pointing your toes up to make a wider base for the weight to be distributed evenly (rather than weighted towards your toes or your heel)...Shoulders back & down, peeps ...and don't forget to engage those glutes :wink:
    Nice idea! I look at the ground, because otherwise there is a pretty high chance I will tread in dog poo or trip over a fallen branch or uneven bit of pavement. The roads here aren't great. I also have to keep an eye on the children so they don't leg it, or walk backwards into someone.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Opera Singer. Know all about posture. And core muscles.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I hold my head high, shoulders back and watch to see what my dog may get into next..yesterday she pointed and flushed a rooster pheasant...he was beautiful. Then there are always the deer, sandhill crane,porcupine, turkeys, geese, ducks and the occasional coyote or bear. Keeps me on my toes and one foot straight in front of the other. Thinking about going around the block this week...our block is 5 miles...Keep on truckin!
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I love it!!!! I look straight ahead, because i like to be aware of my surroundings especially the people around me, and if they pass by me, i always say hi even if they don't say anything back. :smile: