looking to invest in a juicer. what one is the best bang for your buck?

Options
juicynsweet
juicynsweet Posts: 21 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
i want to start using a juicer but i need help picking out the best one for a reasonable price. if anyone can let know which one you use and how well it works for you that would be great. thx

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    What are your reasons for wanting to start juicing?
  • rbentrup81
    rbentrup81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a Hurom juicer, I love fresh pineapple juice and my husband enjoys fresh orange juice. It's a little pricey, but it is a really good brand.
  • juicynsweet
    Options
    To be healthy and to add more fruits and vegetables to my diet.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

The reason fruits and vegetables are healthy is because they generally have a lot of micronutrients and fiber. Juicing removes a lot of micronutrients and nearly all the fiber... You'd be a lot better off just eating the fruits and vegetables on a regular basis.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I juice infrequently so didn't want to spend too much on a juicer. After reading reviews I purchased the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juicer. It was inexpensive, does the job and is not too awful to clean. If you plan on really getting into juicing you might want to invest in one of the more expensive models though.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

The reason fruits and vegetables are healthy is because they generally have a lot of micronutrients and fiber. Juicing removes a lot of micronutrients and nearly all the fiber... You'd be a lot better off just eating the fruits and vegetables on a regular basis.

+1, juicers are really just a waste of money. "I want to be healthy", lol just eat the fruit.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    May I just recommend something? Not trying to talk you out of a juicer if you really want one, but I would encourage you to lean more toward a high-power blender (like a VitaMix) rather than a juicer. Juicers remove most of the fiber and leave you with a sugar laden, calorie dense juice that is not going to satisfy you until your next meal. The healthiest option, if you find squeezing in enough of the whole fruits or veggies into your daily diet difficult, is to make smoothies in a good blender. One that breaks the food down, but doesn't extract any nutrients.

If you're still dead set on juicing, look into Omega juicers. They have different types. Depending on what your reasons for juicing are will determine whether or not you need a high speed centrifugal juicer, or a low speed masticating one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    A smoothie maker, or a really good blender. Juicing removes all the good stuff.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Go to Goodwill and see if you can score a juicer there. I see them for $8 or so. Take it home and try it out. If you really enjoy juicing than maybe you keep the one you just bought or maybe research Consumer Reports (at the library). I thought they were a pain in the __ to clean when had one 30 years ago. Good luck.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I got a juicer last year and wish i had saved the money and bought a vitamix instead. The juice tastes awesomebut the amount of fruit you use and the amount of waste is crazy. And the clean up is a pain. At least with the vitamix you can throw in yogurt and bananas and make it a smoothie. Just my 2cents
  • serra2009
    serra2009 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I got a magic bullet for Christmas an its really quick an easy juice in seconds an not tough clean up just put on a lid an enjoy walla !!!!
  • phoenixsg
    phoenixsg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nutri Bullet or Nutri Ninja, the Ninja handles things like ice etc better than the Bullet but both are awesome, plus the blade assembly is separate from the motor so cleaning is easy and the blending vessels are actually cups and you get flip top lids so they double as protein shaker type on the go bottles.
  • krobak79
    krobak79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I own the Breville Juice Fountain. I've had it for a year now and it still juices and performs the same as when I first took it out of the box.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    krobak79 wrote: »
    I own the Breville Juice Fountain. I've had it for a year now and it still juices and performs the same as when I first took it out of the box.

That's the juicer my sister owns. She loves it.
  • Lisaml7411
    Lisaml7411 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm for the Vitamix. I've had juicers but I didn't like repurposing the fiber it through away. I make whole food smoothies now with the Vitamix 5 mornings a week and get way over my fiber goal on those days. I have a Ninja also (not the individual cup one) and though it does great on ice, it does not break the fiber down like the Vitamix. Amazon has the refurbished ones at a really great price. That's what I bought and am not sorry in the least. They also have a 30 day return.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
  • juicynsweet
    Options
    thanx everyone for your comments. i agree with just making smoothies. my husband was on this grand idea about juicing b/c his friend is all about it.. get more fruit and veggies in our diet.. anywho.. i busted out the good old blender today and made a breakfast smoothie. it was great i don't think there's a need to waste money on a juicer when we have an expensive blender that works great and has more uses. thx again :)
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed juicing in the past, I have an omega, I wouldn't recommend it, it tends to get clogged, it's hard to use. They need to go back to the drawing board on that one.

I've definitely joined the crowd with smoothies....the fiber is super important for many reasons.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like both! Some things I'm just not going to eat a lot of or put in a smoothie. (like celery) I make juices and I often use them in my smoothies. I'm just using a borrowed juicer that isn't awesome because it doesn't get as much juice out as it could. When I invest I"m going for a masticating juicer. You can use the pulp for other stuff like raw crackers or veggie broth. I think generally speaking most fruit should be eaten whole or blended as the fibre helps your body process the sugar but for stuff like kale, spinach, cucumber etc it makes great juice and you get a huge nutrient boost. Nothing wrong with either way. I like to go veggie heavy on my juices though and I feel awesome as I'm replacing other snacks not substituting it for all of my food. Good luck on whatever you decide! :)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville juice fountain. I use it more for juices with veggies and hard fruits. My fav is beets, celery, granny smith apple, lemon, carrot, kale, spinach and ginger. I get plenty of fibre throughout the day and sometimes I just want a juice; especially after a good workout. Smoothies are great too. Depends on my mood but I don't juice every day.