asparagus

Options
I like asparagus at restaurants ,but I have no idea on how to prepare it at home..
If any of you have any good recipes to share I would appreciate it....

Replies

• denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Grilled with a little olive oil and pepper is delicious!
  • haylayne81
    haylayne81 Posts: 56
    Options
    I like to grill it. Make a little foil packet, throw the asaparagus in it, drizzle with EVOO and seasoning (whatever you prefer), close the top of foil, and throw on the top rack of grill. You can do the same in the oven. I don't ever time it...just check it to see when it's the consistency I like. :)
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Grilled with a little olive oil and pepper is delicious!

AGREED!!! Or in the oven with a bit of salt and more pepper. Yummy!!!
  • chelm
    chelm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We wrap it up in foil, spray it with Pam cooking spray sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and put it on the grill until tender. It's delicious!!
  • haylayne81
    haylayne81 Posts: 56
    Options
    Oh and I buy fresh asparagus. Wouldn't recommend the canned kind.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just par boil it for about 3 mins then saute with butter/margarine for a minute or two. I like mine crunchy still. I've grilled it before too and it's good. If you do that pick the larger stalks because they hold up better.
  • denise007
    denise007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I steam it 4 mins - yumm
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I steam it.... put it in a steamer or steamer pan for around 7/8mins and then check it!

I eat it everyday nearly!
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i put it in the oven w some EVOO and some sea salt then when just about done i add lemon
  • alisonah
    alisonah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this recipe from 101cookbooks.com for "Spring Ragout": http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/spring-ragout-recipe.html
  • msheldon88
    msheldon88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like to steam it. I bought a steamer at target for around ten dollars. You put a little water in with it and steam it for around five minutes (I use the fresh veggie button on the microwave so I am not sure on exactly how long). I don't use any butter or seasoning and I think it tastes great. Best of all, you can steam any kind of fresh veggie using the steamer :)
  • denise007
    denise007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ohhh and I do it as a starter at dinner parties my steaming it - then a little cream cheese and wrap in parma ham then heat under the grill before sleep
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Arrange on a cookie sheet. Drizzle or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and ground black pepper. Add a little parmesan cheese if you're feeling indulgent. Place in oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes--or until tender. Easiest way to make them!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Blanch it in boiling water for 2-5 minutes depending on how crunchy you like it. I take it out and throw it in ice water to stop the cooking. Melt some butter in a skillet, drain the asparagus and cook it in the butter until it's warmed up again. Add salt and pepper and you're ready to go. Also for a snack you can try blanched asparagus with thin sliced ham wrapped around it.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Arrange on a cookie sheet. Drizzle or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and ground black pepper. Add a little parmesan cheese if you're feeling indulgent. Place in oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes--or until tender. Easiest way to make them!

I also add minced garlic and cook at 450 for 10 minutes...makes the tips nice and crispy!
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    Thank you all so much,,I never realized how simple it was to prepare,, I will be trying it this week...Thanks again....
  • nadiambe13
    nadiambe13 Posts: 25
    Options
    It's funny that you should mention this, as I got a ton of asparagus from the farmer's market, and then was given some by the family I babysit for, so I'm rolling in asparagus, which is fine by me, because I love it!

Some of my favorite ways to prepare it:

Steam it in a steamer basket. You can lightly salt the water, or add garlic cloves...the flavors in the water will infuse the asparagus. Then drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil (or sesame, or flavored oil), because the healthy fats can help you absorb some of the fat soluble vitamins in it.

Roasted. Toss with a bit of olive oil and salt, and roast in a 400 degree oven. You can serve it with some lemon zest, a few grinds of black pepper and couple fresh grates of nutmeg. Or just eat it without the zest, pepper, nutmeg. Sometimes I like to toss it with red pepper flakes.

In a stir fry. Cut it in 1 inch pieces, and toss in a stir fry with all sorts of veggies.

On a pizza. This is my favorite recipe for asparagus, though it can be rich if you decide to eat more than a slice or two! Feel free to make the crust whole grain (or buy a whole grain crust), cut back on the cheese, or sub low fat cheese, and make other healthy modifications. Plus, remember it's quantity (if you're trying to watch calories, you don't have to eat the whole thing), so a slice or two with a big salad is often a great dinner! http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/05/shaved-asparagus-pizza/
    I think I calculated the calories to be 150 or 200 per slice (1/8 of the pizza)

Raw!! I've never had it raw myself, but everyone tells me it's amazing, so I'll be trying it this week!

I was thinking I would write an asparagus post on my wordpress blog, so I think now that I will! I hope some of these suggestions are helpful.

Also, check the web, there's tons of inspiration out there!

Bon appetit!!
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    If you've never prepared it before, you may not be aware that most people don't eat the whole stalk you find in the store. You're supposed to take the bunch, rinse the stalks, and then take each stalk by the ends and bend it. It will snap off naturally towards the stem end. Then throw the stem ends away and cook the remaining blossom side. That helps get rid of the nasty, hard stuff that's sometimes at the end. It can be very difficult to chew! Personally, I like to nibble on the discarded ends while cooking the blossoms. :-)
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Saute with garlic, black pepper, and a teeny bit of oil.
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    My husband and I love it! We are very simple with it. Grill or roast...either way I spray a backing sheet/grill pan with cooking spray lay out asparagus flat then spray again with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt/pepper. I put it on grill/in oven at 350 and just keep an eye on it, rotating them every once in a while. We like them a little on the crispy side but honestly I don't know how long I cook them, just until they are done (tender)
    Oh and a quick trick as to how much you should cut off the end, if you pick up a couple pieces, hold each end and then bend the asparagus, the stalk will break at the freshest spot. Whatever is on the bottom throw away and cook just the tops. That is a trick I once learned.