Activity tracker help

Im looking to buy an activity tracker mainly for tracking my calories burned during intense cardio workouts. I've been googling for a few days now and I'm lost in finding the right one. I don't run, I don't care about tracking my sleep, or steps. I just want something that will most accurately count calories burned during intense cardio workouts like the TurboFire program I do 6 days a week. If your not familiar with the program, it consist of high intensity kickboxing and interval training so I move around a lot! Any recommendations?

Replies

• inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Well boo I guess no one has anything to say lol
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Since you're not looking for step or sleep tracking, but cardio and calorie counting, you probably want to look into a fitness tracker that you don't have to wear on your wrist. The Misfit Shine or Flash are examples of this. (These still track steps & sleep, but don't have to be worn on the wrist. And the Flash is pretty much just like the Shine, but for about half the cost.) Fitbit also has a tracker that you don't have to wear, but I can't remember what it is called.

I hope this helps.
  • inked_Calimom82
    edited May 2015
    Cronniss wrote: »
    Since you're not looking for step or sleep tracking, but cardio and calorie counting, you probably want to look into a fitness tracker that you don't have to wear on your wrist. The Misfit Shine or Flash are examples of this. (These still track steps & sleep, but don't have to be worn on the wrist. And the Flash is pretty much just like the Shine, but for about half the cost.) Fitbit also has a tracker that you don't have to wear, but I can't remember what it is called.

I hope this helps.

Thanks @Cronniss I looked at them both. I prefer a tracker that I can charge though and they both say u don't charge so I assume they have a battery that you'd have to replace, like a watch. Are you talking about the Fitbit One? I know it includes a clip so u don't have to wear it on your wrist. Or there's the Fitbit Zip. But it has a battery too. I just don't want to worry about replacing the battery. Thanks for responding :) everyone else just turns their head for whatever reason lol
  • Tezzi_B
    Tezzi_B Posts: 41 Member
    Hey,

I have a misfit flash which is great tracking cardio as you can place it on your shoe for spinning/running/elliptical BUT I find that when I do combat boxing/Muay Thai it doesn't always track. The same goes for strength training it doesn't really register movement.

You may want to invest in one with a HRM to track accurately i've heard the Polar ones are pretty good.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Im looking to buy an activity tracker mainly for tracking my calories burned during intense cardio workouts. I've been googling for a few days now and I'm lost in finding the right one.

Activity trackers (like Fitbit) calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), so you wear them 24/7. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

If you only want your burn from steady-state cardio, you want a heart rate monitor (HRM).
  • Combat_Fighter
    Combat_Fighter Posts: 70 Member
    I use my Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor while doing my exercise... i'd totally be lost without it, also quite accurate and not overly expensive
  • SoulSisterSoulBrother
    SoulSisterSoulBrother Posts: 220 Member
    I agree with Combat Fighter, a heart rate monitor is what you need not a tracker.
  • inked_Calimom82
    Oh ok thanks @editorgrrl @Combat_Fighter and @SoulSisterSoulBrother I assume I can buy the hrm by itself? I liked the polar ones but I don't know anything about these things lol
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Yes. Polar sells their's separately. Here is a link for it on Amazon.

89019335.png
    (Quote from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.)