How did you "start"?

I haven't worked out in probably three years and I work a job where I'm literally on my tush in a chair until each break (DMV) typing away at a computer so I get very little movement. I just wonder what the best way to approach a new regime for exercise? I don't want to throw myself into something and end up hurting myself (I've heard stories of people who haven't worked out for years and then immediately landed themselves in the hospital for "over doing it")

Any suggestions? I'd like to eventually get back into yoga and running, I loved doing those when I was in HS. I just don't know how to jump back in or if there are ways to ease into it while still getting results and staying safe.

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I was a "runner" prior to having 3 kids... I took 6 years off. When I finally decided to "start", I started by doing 20 minutes 3 days a week. I just told myself that no matter how busy I get I can carve out 20 minutes.

As far as getting back into running, I started out by slow jogging for a few minutes at a time (the first time I walked for 5 mintues, slow jogged for 3 mintues, and walk 12 minutes). I slowly increased the duration of my jog, then the speed. Once I got to where I was jogging for a full 20 minutes, I increased the time to 30 mintues. Now, I run 5 days per week 3-5 miles each time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    The first night I went back into the gym after a long long break, I was having relationship/stress problems. So I just went. It felt great, even though I did come home and get drunk alone. From that day I told myself I would go to the gym X amount of times per week and it didn't matter what I did. 10 minutes to an hour of cardio, whatever. I could even be one of those people who sits back on that low bike and reads a magazine (and I did it). But I had to go.

Now I'm into lifting, and the gym is part of my life.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    I just took walks until I could do more. I've lost 120 lbs in the last year!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    cherirana wrote: »

Dang! Congrats!
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    As above, hadn't run for years. Joined a local social club that runs and has a few beers once a week (Hash House Harriers - look them up in your town/city/area). Then I started walking around the local lake a few times a week, then plodding, jogging, running. Etc. 18mo later, I go to gym 4-5times a week, I run there and workout for 30mins. It's not something I saw myself doing at the start, but I actually enjoy it now.

To avoid injury, start small, slowly build up with a goal - like 10% extra each week (distance or weight lifting or time etc.) start walking, then make the walks longer or try more challenging terrain, in time, you'll have the urge to jog, don't hold back when it comes.

You'll be good. If you're serious, welcome to friend me.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Take a yoga class, and choose one of the graduated running programs (like c25k). Also there are running clubs with beginner programs, see what's around in your city.

I started with Jillian Michaels and C25k (I don't run anymore though bc of injuries). I responded to JM's style, thought it was very optimistic and encouraging. Then I got into BodyRock (the old version, when Zuzana was on it) and circuit routines with weights, like the Men's Health Spartacus workout. Then, I followed some lifting routines from www.stumptuous.com, and then some other programs online (basically all my stuff was from the web). Right now I'm doing Strong Curves bodyweight plus some extra stuff here and there.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'd suggest start out by going for regular walks, that is how I started from an almost completely sedentary state. I've now run a Marathon. Try for 1 hour brisk walks, a few times a week- these burn plenty of calories, are low impact, and still reap plenty of exercise benefits, including improving mental health. Once you've got a routine and can see how it would work in your schedule, and you feel comfortable with that amount, you can start to add in some light running at a pace that you're still be able to hold a conversation with someone, or sing happy birthday out loud) and gradually you can try to add in more running until you can keep running without needing to take walk breaks. Once you have a couple of days with short easy runs, then, you can start adding in one longer run that increases distance at a slow rate, at the end of the week, which helps you to increase your distances slowly and safely. Also make sure you've got proper shoes, vary your surfaces, take plenty of rest days between running and are eating enough to fuel your workouts :) If things hurt, scale things back a bit, maybe take some rest days, walk more.
  • bored_geek
    bored_geek Posts: 11 Member
    I actually blogged my first couple of weeks, both as an incentive to keep going and so I could look back on it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bored_geek?page=2

It's crazy how after only a couple of days exercises that felt like a life-threatening illness became not so bad. After two weeks of working out, I had developed a habit. Switched from pure calisthenics to weight training this past January. Came back to MFP to better track my macros. In the meantime averaged 3lb/mo weightloss (but likely 4lb/mo fatloss due to muscle gain).
  • westcoastskies
    westcoastskies Posts: 15 Member
    cherirana wrote: »

That is amazing! Congrats!
  • westcoastskies
    westcoastskies Posts: 15 Member
    GWehsling wrote: »
    As above, hadn't run for years. Joined a local social club that runs and has a few beers once a week (Hash House Harriers - look them up in your town/city/area). Then I started walking around the local lake a few times a week, then plodding, jogging, running. Etc. 18mo later, I go to gym 4-5times a week, I run there and workout for 30mins. It's not something I saw myself doing at the start, but I actually enjoy it now.

To avoid injury, start small, slowly build up with a goal - like 10% extra each week (distance or weight lifting or time etc.) start walking, then make the walks longer or try more challenging terrain, in time, you'll have the urge to jog, don't hold back when it comes.

You'll be good. If you're serious, welcome to friend me.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    GWehsling wrote: »
    As above, hadn't run for years. Joined a local social club that runs and has a few beers once a week (Hash House Harriers - look them up in your town/city/area).

HEY! ON-ON!!! (former HHH runner here for the rest of you)

To the OP - check out Couch to 5K as a gentle re-introduction to running.

And HHH is a great idea if there is a group in your area - make running social! If not, running speciality shops or your local community centres probably have running groups or know where to find them. There is almost always a group for every ability.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,520 Member
    I haven't worked out in probably three years and I work a job where I'm literally on my tush in a chair until each break (DMV) typing away at a computer so I get very little movement. I just wonder what the best way to approach a new regime for exercise? I don't want to throw myself into something and end up hurting myself (I've heard stories of people who haven't worked out for years and then immediately landed themselves in the hospital for "over doing it")

Any suggestions? I'd like to eventually get back into yoga and running, I loved doing those when I was in HS. I just don't know how to jump back in or if there are ways to ease into it while still getting results and staying safe.

Get up out of your chair at lunchtime and go for a 30 min walk.

Do this every work-day for the next month.

Walk different routes, not the same one all the time. Start adding things like hills and stairs. Walk a little more briskly.

Then look into running clubs, hiking clubs, and things like that.

• rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    I'm more or less in the start phase, it's only been 5 weeks. I walk. I plan on doing c25k when I get under 100kgs. I do 30ds but I can't get through a whole workout without stopping on level one. Fitness blender also provide great videos for free.
    We all start somewhere :)
  • jacob_barros
    jacob_barros Posts: 1 Member
    Just got back into weight lifting due to a 2 month ankle injury. Advise for starting something new is to take it day by day and slowly up the intesity.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Yep another walker here. 2.5k miles the last calendar year and have added weights since January to try and keep it all moving along.

I bought an exercise bike when I first saw how out of shape and heavy I was, then I started checking and counting what I was eating. Sometimes you have to say enough is enough and no more excuses

So pick an exercise you enjoy, weigh and keep check of whatever you eat and DO NOT BE AFRAID of lifting heavy
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Start by walking, either before, after work or during your lunch break... Then progress to the C25K programme to get back into Running. I also did Jillian Michaels but some people find it pretty tough. 30 Day Shred is probably the best one to start on but take it slow and work through it at your own pace...
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    My wife and I went from completely sedentary one day to joining an online fitness group and doing P90X the next. It was a shock but we both got in great shape and have maintained it for over 3 years now. It completely changed our lives. We now run in different mud runs like Tough Mudder and Warrior Dash and I like to run several 5K & 10Ks during the summer months.
  • TeaCurls
    TeaCurls Posts: 32 Member
    I am just in the process of getting back into running and the lifestyle I really want for myself. kne of the tools I am using is couch to 10k app. It is an approachable way to start running again...
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    My wife and I went from completely sedentary one day to joining an online fitness group and doing P90X the next. It was a shock but we both got in great shape and have maintained it for over 3 years now. It completely changed our lives.

I love reading stories like this. :smile:

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited May 2015
    When I started, I gave my schedule a makeover. I went to bed early and woke up early, did my exercise after breakfast, and went on with my day as usual. I made sure to eat at about the same times, and plan my meals ahead. I made sure to give myself a day of rest each week and made sure I can fit in treats without going over my limit. It takes planning and dedication. Now its just habit, my usual routine. You will eventually get used to the new schedule and it will seem like no problem at all.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Jillian Michaels DVDs at home. It was great since I had the privacy of my room. I went down like 4 dress sizes while doing it! I moved on to the gym though
  • bewarethedog
    bewarethedog Posts: 42 Member
    I started with a couch to 5k app and on my off days I did yoga with Adriene's 30 day challenge (on YouTube). I threw in some Jillian or walks when I got a little bored, but that was basically it!
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    In January I started off with walks- walking on the treadmill, walking outside, and lightly doing the elliptical. Worked my way up to lifting, running intervals, etc. 60 pounds down and haven't hurt myself yet
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Like a lot of folks, I gained a bunch of weight in my mid-late 30's. I quit smoking, had a desk job and just failed to pay attention to my health. I went from about 200 lbs to 270 over the course of three or four years. I didn't do anything about it for another three years, thinking it was going to be too tough.

Three years ago I decided to try to lose about 10 lbs just to see if I could. I started walking 30 minutes a day, stopped drinking soda and dropped those 10 in three weeks. After that I figured I'd see what I could do by actually trying. I started tracking my food, doing more exercise and hiking on the weekends. Within six months I had dropped another 75 lbs and found that I really love hiking, backpacking and mountain climbing. I've since gained about 5 lbs back but I'm not too worried because I'm still the same size and have far more strength and endurance than I have had since I was young and on the high school swim team.

Fortunately my wife has also joined me in getting healthier. She's dropped about the same percentage in weight as I have and we hike and camp almost every weekend during the summer together. It's helped us both stay healthy and improved the marriage too because of all the extra time we now spend together.