Please tell me you're not obsessed with shakeology!

Options
mary807
mary807 Posts: 6 Member
Mother of a perfect 14 month old who's trying to shed the last of her baby weight but is having a difficult time due to a bipolar thyroid. Was feeling awesome after a recent 20lb loss but feel set back after a comment was made by a stranger (we all know how that goes). Have a husband who is naturally thin and handsome so he is no help either, lol have been using this app for years but never the forums so I thought I'd try it out! :#

Replies

• arinkris
    arinkris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Crummy :( My first experience on the community board was pretty rotten (trolls sadly)
    Congratulations on the 20lb weight loss and motherhood :)
    I went hypo after 3 kids, I know it's a challenge but you got this!
    Best of luck on your journey ;)
  • GwenFan7
    GwenFan7 Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I also have a thyroid problem, I'm hypothyroid, but was bouncing between hyper & normal to hypo all winter. It's feeling normal Now and showing normal on tests.
    I have found that doing a LCHF diet has seemed to also help my thyroid and def my BP.

I gained a crap load of weight last year. In part, bc of my thyroid and all that entails and the other was back injury & then surgery.

Happy to report I've lost 17lbs in 2 months, but I'm still over 200lbs (would like to be about 150) and as much as I feel good about losing, I remember I'm still fat and I don't fit my clothes and I don't get out much as a result of both.

So if you need a cheerleader I can do that, or just some Courtesy while you try things your way.... Welcome :)

Jade
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what Shakeology has with that, but you'll find very little support for it in the weight loss forum. Most people advocate following a basic calories in < calories out approach (CICO), and being as diligent as possible with logging your food (the basic function of this site). There's very little patience for "woo" thinking, which is a lot of the poorly applied science and outright pseudo-science that surrounds the diet and fitness industry.

As for Shakeology, it's expensive (~$4.33/shake) and it's promoted by the Beachbody program. You can get the same stuff for far cheaper other ways.

Good luck!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hello, congrats on your 20 lb loss! That's great. Your title mentions shakeology, I'm not a fan of it at all. In fact, I think it's low quality at a high price. And the same goes for any mlm scam.
  • mary807
    Options
    Wow thanks so much everyone!!! The shakeology thing was just a joke because it seems to be the latest fad and I can't bring myself to do. I log on Facebook and there are 27 photos of a hand holding a shake with a hashtag about shakeology and healthy living. It drives me nuts! Lol I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to weightloss, using good old diet & exercise. What a great support system!!! And congrats on all of your successes as well!!!
  • baileyh_
    baileyh_ Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!

The point of Shakeology isn't to eliminate proper diet and exercise. I hope nobody has touted it as some kind of miracle shake. I'm a beachbody coach, not even gonna lie, and I use it and enjoy it, but it's definitely not a miracle of any kind. It's just a protein shake that has added nutrition and vitamins. For me, it just meant getting rid of my expensive probiotics and multivitamins, and getting off my meds for hormone control. It's not for everyone :) But I like it and I get it cheaper as a coach so I can justify it. I just hate how regular protein shakes usually have soy and artificial sweeteners and ingredients.

Either way, welcome to the forums, congratulations on your weight loss and I hope you keep seeing success! <3
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    mary807 wrote: »
    Mother of a perfect 14 month old who's trying to shed the last of her baby weight but is having a difficult time due to a bipolar thyroid.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease)—I've never thought of it as "bipolar thyroid"! I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient. But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

PS. MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • mary807
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! I actually do have hashimotos. It's a real pain in the butt! I'll check out those links. I really appreciate it!