TDEE-20%...Who goes by this formula?

Options
So the Scooby Calculator is telling me that at 225 lbs, 4 ft 10, 37 yrs old, desk job with with little exercise that my BMR is 1599 and my TDEE is 1919 to maintain but-20% is 1535. Yes, I do have a desk job that I sit down all day and currently not exercising due to health problems so if I decided to go by the TDEE formula, I would need to eat at 1535? Please advise & Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That's right! Just be aware that your personal TDEE may be a little higher or lower, stick to it for a month or so and see what your results are. If you lose less than anticipated you may need to cut a few more calories, if you lose more you may be able to raise your calories. Weigh all of your food, measure your liquids and log every bite!
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Fit4MyKidzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Not sure I am going to try it just yet. Trying to see how well it works for others...The # seems quite high for my height.
    quote="Jgasmic;32643702"]That's right! Just be aware that your personal TDEE may be a little higher or lower, stick to it for a month or so and see what your results are. If you lose less than anticipated you may need to cut a few more calories, if you lose more you may be able to raise your calories. Weigh all of your food, measure your liquids and log every bite![/quote]

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You should be able to lose weight by eating anything less than 1919, but the more under you are the faster you'll lose. At 1535, you would lose less than one pound per week. You could probably go with an even lower number, if you like.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Worked well for me! 20-pound weight loss since January.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So the Scooby Calculator is telling me that at 225 lbs, 4 ft 10, 37 yrs old, desk job with with little exercise that my BMR is 1599 and my TDEE is 1919 to maintain but-20% is 1535. Yes, I do have a desk job that I sit down all day and currently not exercising due to health problems so if I decided to go by the TDEE formula, I would need to eat at 1535? Please advise & Thanks in advance.

If you are happy losing 1 lb every 9 days then try it out. That said with the amount you have to lose you would be safe eating TDEE -25 to30% which would be 1 lb every 6ish days.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You don't want to be under your BMR for any significant length of time--your body will think you are starving. Add some mild exercise. Can you walk? Many suggestions have been made to add in more activity--park at the back of the lot and walk in or get off the bus one stop earlier and walk. When you go to the bathroom, can you use one farther away from your desk or even on another floor. Even short distances will do at first; gradually increase as ability increases.

You might also try chair yoga. There's a marvelous one put out by the University of Pennsylvania. Just google "chair yoga, university of Pennsylvania". It's led by police ?detective? (not sure of his rank). Doing this sometime in the evening will leave you feeling wonderful.

Just remember, your BMR will decrease as you lose weight.
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Are you eating at your BMR or at your 20% reduction suggested?
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Worked well for me! 20-pound weight loss since January.

• erickirb
    Options
    You don't want to be under your BMR for any significant length of time--your body will think you are starving. Add some mild exercise. Can you walk? Many suggestions have been made to add in more activity--park at the back of the lot and walk in or get off the bus one stop earlier and walk. When you go to the bathroom, can you use one farther away from your desk or even on another floor. Even short distances will do at first; gradually increase as ability increases.

You might also try chair yoga. There's a marvelous one put out by the University of Pennsylvania. Just google "chair yoga, university of Pennsylvania". It's led by police ?detective? (not sure of his rank). Doing this sometime in the evening will leave you feeling wonderful.

Just remember, your BMR will decrease as you lose weight.

when you are 100+ lbs overweight there is no harm eating under BMR, the less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a whole lot to lose so I ate at the suggested 20% reduction.
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Eric-So I can eat even less than the 1535 right?
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Ok I do so I can even go to 30% max right?
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I didn't have a whole lot to lose so I ate at the suggested 20% reduction.

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

yes, bmr is largely irrelevant, deficit from TDEE is what's important
  • erickirb
    Options

Yes, I would suggest the TDEE-30% to start evaluate your results and energy levels in 4-6 weeks and adjust as necessary.
  • Fit4MyKidzz
    Options
    Thanks for your help :)
    erickirb wrote: »

Yes, I would suggest the TDEE-30% to start evaluate your results and energy levels in 4-6 weeks and adjust as necessary.

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I ate TDEE-20%+ for months, and it worked well. I lost ~ 2-2.5lbs./week on average. Ive since changed over to my own personal formula/plan, but that's another story.

The numbers that matter are your TDEE and 1200. Eat below your TDEE and you'll lose weight. Don't eat below 1200 without medical supervision. This is a consensus absolute minimum for a female, that is highly documented in medical and nutritional research/publications, including Harvard Health Publications.