Hypothyroidism - Need advice!

Options
I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I've gained 20 lbs over the last few years. I've been doing MFP for a little over 3 months now, but I've not been able to see any weight loss results. I'm now maintaining my weight and stopped gaining, but want to get the weight loss ball rolling. I'm consistent about working out 5 days a week (cardio and resistance training).

Do we need to eat less calories with hypothyroidism? I usually eat back half to most of my exercise calories. I know our metabolism is much slower so should I stop doing this? Any other diet recommendations?

I started taking thyroid meds (Armour) about a week and a half ago. Hoping that would help initiate weight loss, but nothing so far. I'm really starting to lose my motivation....

I really appreciate any advice and friend adds from other hypothyroid folks that are succeeding at losing weight. Thanks! :)

Replies

• amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have it as well. I take synthroid for mine. I have been able to loose weight but I have to work extra hard at it. I could probably use some advice as well. I think I need to gt mine checked again, its been a while and I cant seem to loose anything right now.
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There are different types of hypothyroidism, but I think for most the same rules will apply, which your dr will never tell you... There are certain veggies and fruits that will stop you from losing weight (broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, peaches) and a lot of hypothyroid ppl have a gluten sensitivity. I've recently completely cut it out of my diet. Find out what kind of hypo you have, if it's because of an underlying autoimmune disorder then thyroid meds won't help you and it's all diet from there...
  • heidi_79
    heidi_79 Posts: 27
    Options
    it will take about a month for the meds to start working after that make sure you are on the right dosage. Being on the correct dosage, healthly eating and excersice will help in the weight loss. I wont lie it is a battle but one worth it :) Just make sure you are checking levels checked often to make sure the dosage is the same w/o the correct amount it does not matter what else you do you wont get anywhere :( Good Luck and hang in there!
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It does take you a bit for the meds to kick in and give a jump start to your metabolism - and they'll probably test you in 2 months to see if the dosage they gave you is right or needs to be increased. They do a gradual increase to make sure it is working correctly without upsetting your system. Hang in there, it'll get better!

As far as calories, eating back and what not, I am playing around with that right now. I have been eaitng mine back, and have been losing weight, but it isn't a quick loss. If I don't start to see better results, I am going to decrease to eating only 1/2 back and see what works for me. Remember too that everyone is different though, so you just need to figure out what works for you.

Don't lose hope, you'll get the hang of it!
  • fabulousfebe
    fabulousfebe Posts: 204
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism - it's been since 1994 and to top it off, I'm going through some hormonal changes with menopause... *sigh* It's frustrating to say the least...I'm taking synthroid but used to take Armour (may get back on it soon, it was off the market for about 2 years). I've been on MFP since march and have slowly lost 8lbs - I'm working very hard as well. Not sure about the advice but keep trying. Will add you as my friend..we can at least keep each other motivated. :smile:
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and gain weight really, really fast! I'm on the lowest dose of Levothyroxine (25mcg) which I take once daily and I might need to up my dose, according to an endocrinologist I saw the other day. I've done some more blood tests and am now waiting for results, but as far as how many calories I should be eating, I have no idea. The only way I've really ever lost weight, is by reducing my calorie intake RIGHT down and then I just gain the weight straight back.
    So, all I can really say is see how you go and if you don't start seeing results, go back to your Dr. and get more tests done because your dose might not be right. I know how easy it is to lose motivation, but keep at it and you will soon figure things out. :)
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You haven't been on medication long enough for it to have any affect on your metabolism (or other symptoms for that matter). Your doctor should continue to check your thyroid levels every 2-3 months. Your prescription may still need to be adjusted in order to put your thyroid function back within range. It could be several months or more before you really start noticing a difference. However, IT DOES HELP!! =) I have hypothyroidism as well (cause unknown, as I tested negative for Hashimoto's disease, there are no abnormal cells, and there is no permanent damage to my thyroid). I started taking medication 08/2010 and needed one prescription adjustment before my thyroid levels were normal again. The change back to normality is gradual, but it definitely occurs. I have much more energy, a much more positive attitude, etc. In fact, I now have the energy that I didn't have before to actually take better care of myself, including regular exercise, which is, in turn, helping to keep my energy and metabolism up and running. All I can reccommend is to stick with it and stay positive! If you follow MFP guidelines you will do just fine! =)
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    By the way, if anyone else with hypothyroidism wants to add me as a friend, go for it. Can maybe exchange tips and stories. :)
  • Hadenuf
    Hadenuf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism for YEARS, after even more years of being misdiagnosed and numerous pounds of weight gained. I'll tell ya, it takes a while to get the right dose of medication for the correct amount of TSH. But once you do, it isn't a miracle weight loss cure. It DOES help with not feeling so tired and unmotivated, it helps to clear your mind so that you don't feel you're walking through a fog all the time, which both assist greatly in concentrating on eating properly and exercising. It takes longer for us to lose weight and more effort even while on medication, but this is our curse. HOWEVER, on a more positive note, I've been on MFP since mid January and I'm 43 pounds lighter - so weight loss is definitely possible, but patience is the key!

4207658.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I have been on my hypothyroid meds for about 3 months. I have lost close to 20 pounds since starting them. I did a gluten free diet at first, did see a little weight come off, then I near starved my self taking adipex to get the majority of the weight off, then I stopped for the whole month of April(no diet, no meds):frown: gained 13 pounds back, then decided to get back on them and started the The dukan diet. I have lost 11 pounds since I started back on meds, and 9 since I started the dukan. I started meds on May 3, the dukan on may 14, oh and I start the C25k on May 11th. The weight dropped quick and now I am holding steady at 189.6, but I am seeing some more firming results from running. Not so much back fat rolls:frown: as I usually had.:wink: I go back in two months to have more blood work to see if the numbers are becoming more normal. I am working what I know works and going to continue working hard, even if I fall every once in a while.
  • feevis
    feevis Posts: 8
    Options
    I have it aswell and tbh i dont think the medication has made any difference watsoever, as with the weight loss mine was slow at first but i started taking fat metabolisers which speed up the digestive system, basically wat the medication is ment to do, since starting them my weight loss has been much easier and ive had much more energy so i honestly dunno wat difference my medication is making. Been taking th emedication for about 8 years and have it checked once a year. ive been with myfitness pal for 40 days and lost 18lbs so it is possible, I dunno if the fat metabolisers are the reason though. i make sure i eat my recommended calories on here on days where i eat less i tend to stick, on days where i eat nearly my full daily allowance i tend to lose so i would recommend ensuring ur eating enough .
  • krueandliz
    krueandliz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism - it's been since 1994 and to top it off, I'm going through some hormonal changes with menopause... *sigh* It's frustrating to say the least...I'm taking synthroid but used to take Armour (may get back on it soon, it was off the market for about 2 years). I've been on MFP since march and have slowly lost 8lbs - I'm working very hard as well. Not sure about the advice but keep trying. Will add you as my friend..we can at least keep each other motivated. :smile:

I have the exact same problem. I have been on Synthroid for about 4 years. In that time I have struggled to lose weight. I usually lose less than 1 pound a month. Even went to a RD for a year and she had me keep a food diary then. Still less than a pound a month. Now with the menopausal stuff thrown in, you tend to feel defeated. I think you have to keep trying different things not only to find something that works for you but to also help keep you hopeful and motivated. FOR ME, I have just tried that Dukan Diet recently and so far lost almost 18 pounds since May 3rd. I am into the second phase of it where your diet mainly consisits of Protein and vegetables. I have a few friends who are not Hypothyroid but have struggled with weight now they only eat meat and vegetables period. I have another friend who was a strict Vegan and was overweight, one day she craved a carne asada burrito and now all she eats are lean meaats and vegetables and some fruit. Both these people have lost dramatic amounts of weight after finding what works for them. That is the journey I am on now. I am now fully convinced that not everyone can eat the same way even if it considered healthy. ( I have the food journals to prove my own situation) OH! I now have a third friend who has done weight watchers for a awhile lost 25 pounds, plateaued and then she tried MFP saw that she was eating 500 calories a day in strawberries! She now stopped that ended her plateau and is now a total MFP junkie. I don't know if this helps but keep trying different things.
  • krueandliz
    krueandliz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    :happy: I am loving the Dukan diet too! It seems to be the only thing that has worked for me. I feel like I am at least losing weight like a normal person.
  • PeachyKeene
    Options

I have the exact same problem. I have been on Synthroid for about 4 years. In that time I have struggled to lose weight. I usually lose less than 1 pound a month. Even went to a RD for a year and she had me keep a food diary then. Still less than a pound a month. Now with the menopausal stuff thrown in, you tend to feel defeated. I think you have to keep trying different things not only to find something that works for you but to also help keep you hopeful and motivated. FOR ME, I have just tried that Dukan Diet recently and so far lost almost 18 pounds since May 3rd. I am into the second phase of it where your diet mainly consisits of Protein and vegetables. I have a few friends who are not Hypothyroid but have struggled with weight now they only eat meat and vegetables period. I have another friend who was a strict Vegan and was overweight, one day she craved a carne asada burrito and now all she eats are lean meaats and vegetables and some fruit. Both these people have lost dramatic amounts of weight after finding what works for them. That is the journey I am on now. I am now fully convinced that not everyone can eat the same way even if it considered healthy. ( I have the food journals to prove my own situation) OH! I now have a third friend who has done weight watchers for a awhile lost 25 pounds, plateaued and then she tried MFP saw that she was eating 500 calories a day in strawberries! She now stopped that ended her plateau and is now a total MFP junkie. I don't know if this helps but keep trying different things.
    I am on the Dukan too. I have lost 9 pounds since starting it on May the 14th.
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    I am loving the Dukan diet too! It seems to be the only thing that has worked for me. I feel like I am at least losing weight like a normal person.

Totally loving the Dukan diet. I had a little relapse saturday. I had 3 handfuls of chips and saw the scales go up to 191.6:explode: , but with my all protein day sunday, they were back down to the 189.6 this morning. I am sure it was a lot of water weight, from salty chips. I like being full all the time, it helps fight the carb cravings I have. They have started coming less and less, just like when I quit smoking. The Dukan diet is great!
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    double post
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am also hypothyroid -- been that way most of my life. You need to give the meds more time, and don't just take the test results at their face value. Sometimes you will still have symptoms and not feel good when the tests say you should feel great. Make sure you find a doctor that will listen to you and not treat you like a number. The weight loss will come. Don't get discouraged. We are rooting for you!
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What is the Dukan diet?

I am on the Dukan too. I have lost 9 pounds since starting it on May the 14th.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    In 1998 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Since then I went from 200 lbs (i've always been obese) to nearly 300 lbs. I found MFP last October but the regular MFP diet helped me lose 40 lbs then I gained 20 back. I did not eat more then 1200 calories did not eat back my exercise calories. Now I started a customized low carb diet with help of my doctor as I am also a diabetic and I have seen alot more loss, though when i slip up and i have had off days here or there and gained a pound or two back. I am now down a total of 56 pounds.

you need to find what is the right fit for you and you will find it... I think for those of us with hypothyroidism a lower carb diet really is the key. Due to the low metabolisms and the fat being burned off since there is no carbs or sugar in our systems.
    Good luck.
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice! It's good to know there are others struggling with the same thing. It is so frustrating to work so hard without results. Sounds like I need to give my meds more time and get my levels balanced before I may see results. Will try to keep focused doing the right things and hopefully the results will come in time.

I'm so surprised by how many of us are dealing with this. We need to start a support group/motivation group! Not sure how to do that on here...