Zumba at the GYM

Options
Just a quick question - Ive been taking a Spin class at the gym but they don't have one today. They have a Zumba class that I would love to take. Can someone give me a heads up on what I am looking forward to? Is it hard? Are the steps impossible? I weigh over 200lbs so somethings are pretty hard for me but I am not one to give up. I have and want to lose weight. I am incorporating different things into my workouts in order not to get bored.

Any input will trully be appreciated!!!!

Replies

• marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You should give it a try. Zumba is just a series of dance steps. It's not hard to follow and you may actually like it.

The best part is that once you are moving if you can't follow exactly you are at least moving and that's what is important.

Zumba helped me to get started on my fitness journey and I still do it 9 months later.

Enjoy!
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    They have zumba at my gym and the instructor sometimes shakes things that I didnt even know moved haha. But after about three times I fell in love with zumba! Just enjoy it and you will have so much fun!
  • Gillott232
    Gillott232 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Zumba is alot of fun, but it is not your traditional Aerobic type workout. It keeps you on your toes and that is half the fun! You concentrate on whats going on so much that you dont really have time to think about much else. I am a Licensed Zumba Instructor and doing Zumba has changed my life. It has made me feel amazing about myself.
    Women (and men) of all shapes and sizes can do Zumba. The beautiful thing about it is you get out of it what you put in, so the first few classes you will be more focused on the moves and trying to do the steps but as you get more comfortable you will put more effort into it and you will get more results.

I always say that Zumba never "gets easier" because when you stop working so hard to get the steps right you work harder on having fun and working yourself out.

Bring a towel and water, you will need them. Its best to have shoes with very little tread on them to make movement easier.

When you start Zumba, do not get discouraged by all that action. Focus on the footwork and getting the foot steps down first, then when you feel your comfortable with it, add in the arm movements, and then the style. If you ever get yourself out of order, take a moment and return to your basic step and start over again. I still find myself getting some footwork messed up in the classes I take with my Instructor (the woman who has taught me everything about Zumba) and have to take a moment a deep breathe and jump back into it.

Rule of thumb is if you can talk through the work out, your not working hard enough. If you can't talk or hoop and holler (which is done alot) then you need to take a step back and slow down a bit and allow yourself to take it easy for a few minutes and bring your heartrate back down to your target area.

I hope to see that you joined in. It is addicting! Be prepared to have a blast! And do not let your first time fool you! Make a goal to attend atleast 4 classes before you decide if its really for you or not. Good Luck!