Weight restored with no period

Options
So im honestly very stuck and don't know what to do with myself. I've gained to a bmi of 20 on maybe about 1800 calories and still have no period and am still gaining. Im fighting a relapse I feel utterly hopeless that I'm still gaining on low calories with no period. I've been discharged from my therapist so please don't tell me to seek professional help. Even if someone who has been in the situation can give me some advice I would be so grateful

Replies

• ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It can take time for your cycle to return. Are you able to visit a gynecologist?
  • Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It can take time for your cycle to return. Are you able to visit a gynecologist?

No I haven't, reading online I have gathered that all advice I seem to see recommends to increase calories but I don't seem to believe it at all, I've been in recovery for more than a year and there are no signs of it returning

• GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    You should see a gynaecologist.
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have increased you calories and are at a healthy BMI. The missing period might be a result of another issue. it would be a good idea to visit a gynacologist who can point you in teh right direction.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There could be a whole slew of things going on aside from the calorie issue. You should make an appointment with a gynecologist. You should have a yearly pap smear, at least, too. :) I know that's unrelated, but since you say it's been over a year for your recovery, it makes me feel like you haven't seen your gyno in at least that long.

Just some insight, on the other end of the spectrum of being obese, I wouldn't get my periods either. At first my OBGYN put me on birth control to regulate my periods. But I didn't like the hormonal stuff they did to me, so went off them. I don't know your birth control situation, but this may be a viable option for you. My Dr. would give me Provera too to bring on my period when I wouldn't get it.

Most likely your Dr. will run a blood panel and have your hormones and possibly thyroid checked. Then discuss BC. He/She may put you on Provera to bring on your period and then advise you to begin the BC when it starts. That's been my experience, so it probably wouldn't vary too much.

Just concentrate on getting healthy. Discuss things thoroughly with your Dr. and see what they say. It can't hurt.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Visit your doctor, he's the only one who will get you help and answer any question.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It can take up to a year to get your period back even after getting back to a healthy BMI or weight... If you are deeply concerned (which I know you said for no one advise you to see a doctor) see a GYN...

Otherwise give it time..
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I hate to break it to you, but I have been in recovery from an ED for 4 years, and mine have never started again, despite having had a healthy BMI since then. The doctor I saw did warn that, because I was anorexic throughout the age when my body should have gone through puberty, I probably won't have any. I don't know if this might apply to you, but that was the advice I was given.

For me though, I have had to have a change of mindset about this - yes, it probably sucks that I can't have kids (right now I don't want them anyway, but I realise when I'm older that I may be upset by this) but ultimately, I am healthy now and that's what matters. I know this is hard, but try not to let it consume you. Just think, if you hadn't gotten better, you possibly wouldn't be here now, and you need to be thankful for that, rather than letting this make you feel bad.

Edit: Message me if you want to chat a bit more xx
  • DailyRoutines
    DailyRoutines Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep eating nutrient rich foods (high in protein and healthy fats) and add one raw carrot a day (ideally separated from a meal and not the 'baby' carrots but a whole regular one). The biggest concern I see is you are at the time when your bones are building strength and they can't do that without estrogen. This will be important to your health your entire life and that super important window closes around the age of 20. Ultimately it affects heart health, too. My daughter is ammenorrheic right now (for almost a year) so we're working on that in our house, too. I wish you the best in building a healthy strong body. I agree you should see the gynecologist ASAP and even another eating therapist (maybe a different one) if you feel you are fighting relapse and feeling hopeless. Don't give up on yourself!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Keep eating nutrient rich foods (high in protein and healthy fats) and add one raw carrot a day (ideally separated from a meal and not the 'baby' carrots but a whole regular one). The biggest concern I see is you are at the time when your bones are building strength and they can't do that without estrogen. This will be important to your health your entire life and that super important window closes around the age of 20. Ultimately it affects heart health, too. My daughter is ammenorrheic right now (for almost a year) so we're working on that in our house, too. I wish you the best in building a healthy strong body. I agree you should see the gynecologist ASAP and even another eating therapist (maybe a different one) if you feel you are fighting relapse and feeling hopeless. Don't give up on yourself!

You don't have to eat a carrot... I am not sure why this poster even said that....urgggg

Just stay consistent with your weight (rather you have more to gain or not) just do not yo yo by losing weight and then gaining etc... Your body is healing and it needs time and nutrition is your key to getting better.

What I am trying to say is stay consistent with eating and continuation to gain (i gain is still prevalent). I do not know how long you had this ED, but if you have to, put in a call to your therapist (or ex therapist), just because she/he discharged you does not mean you can not call with questions or concerns...
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Try eating estrogen promoting foods to increase your estrogen levels.
    http://health.in4mnation.com/foods-boost-estrogen-levels/
    Try that for a while and also go see a gynaecologist. I hope everything works out for you. I recovered from an eating disorder when I was 17 and I know it is a struggle but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • MOMOEATER
    MOMOEATER Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't have personal experience with this but I just know what I have learned in school about these types of situations, so I'll share what my prof told us...

there are various causes for secondary amenorrhea (no menstruation for around 6 months in women with previous menstrual irregularities) like: stress, excessive exercise and weight loss... (IMO, i think yours is related to stress and previous weight loss, it takes time for things to get back to normal)

If you want to see if there is something wrong, then you gotta get blood work done to see where your hormone levels are at...(because the hormones regulate the menstrual cycle) they will look at your ovarian hormone secretion first, if it is normal then it could be a uterine dysfunction or pregnancy (I doubt pregnancy in your case) ...if your ovarian hormone secretion is too low even though your gonadotropin levels are high then it is more of an ovarian issue and their is a list of reasons that could explain your situation (resistance to gonadotropins, etc.) however, if your ovarian hormone secretion is low and your gonadotropin levels are low, then it isn't much of an ovarian or uterine issue, but instead could be a hypothalamic-pituitary disorder issue which can be caused by all sorts of stuff like, head trauma, tumor, starvation, endocrine disease etc...

For treatments they can use hormone replacement therapy, or surgery depending on the situation of course...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Florameg456, I know that it's difficult to be logical regarding an eating disorder, but before you relapse, think hard about how your disorder is what got you into this, as well as all the other side effects you're still dealing with. I know that you know in your head that relapsing will only make things worse. And I know it's difficult to feel that, rather than just know it. Trust your head. Trust what you know instead of what you feel, because you know that your disorder is not allowing you a true picture of yourself.

Also, definitely speak to your doctor, not just your gyno, but also your therapist. Let your support team know that you're having these feelings. They can give you further guidance.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    @Florameg456, I know that it's difficult to be logical regarding an eating disorder, but before you relapse, think hard about how your disorder is what got you into this, as well as all the other side effects you're still dealing with. I know that you know in your head that relapsing will only make things worse. And I know it's difficult to feel that, rather than just know it. Trust your head. Trust what you know instead of what you feel, because you know that your disorder is not allowing you a true picture of yourself.

Also, definitely speak to your doctor, not just your gyno, but also your therapist. Let your support team know that you're having these feelings. They can give you further guidance.

Very sound advise here^^
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Snugglesmacks is giving excellent advice. Listen to your head and your doctor. And it takes a long time to recover from an eating disorder - mentally and physically.
  • lottiesjourney
    lottiesjourney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I lost my period, my doctor gave me the contraceptive microgynon pill, it kick started it back, I took it for 3 months and then stopped and am now having regular periods without it. You could ask about that option? x