How sugar affects me

Options

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You people are laughable.

Nah, some of us are a bit further along in this process than others are though, and we've figured out what actually works.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am giving up refined sugars. Bye bye Starbucks frapps! That was 3 weeks ago. I cannot drink them anymore too sweet and I eat fruit instead. Only thing I learned was too much refined sugar makes me ill and I like apples more. Oh not as bloated but no idea why.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I was eating a porkchop while watching the Warriors lose last night. I've never had porkchops watching a Warriors game. Never again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh no! Is my gelato the reason the Blackhawks lost? Because a Stanley Cup isn't worth giving up the Talenti goodness.
    Talenti has the best container of any frozen treat.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

Most of these people who disagree with what you posted have laughed their way to losing their extra weight, and gotten healthy. I didnt know that was considered laughable.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In...just so I can get a flag.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »

Most of these people who disagree with what you posted have laughed their way to losing their extra weight, and gotten healthy. I didnt know that was considered laughable.

Nah it's ok, obviously we're doing something right ;)
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »

Nah it's ok, obviously we're doing something right ;)
    Laughter is the best medicine -> Laughing burns extra calories -> They're negating all their extra sugar intake by being laughable.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Maybe we are. But many of us are also fit and healthy without having to demonize sugar or fall for mocumentaries.
    Oh? Do tell.

How are these flagable, let alone spam flags.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Challenge-accepted.jpg
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Thank you good sir. My day is now complete.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Maybe we are. But many of us are also fit and healthy without having to demonize sugar or fall for mocumentaries.
    Oh? Do tell.

How are these flagable, let alone spam flags.

Clearly we are shills for Big Sugar and trying to sell people on the sweet, sweet toxic goodness.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Begging for flags, that's when you know we've made it

Some of us aren't pre-disposed to attracting flags. Begging is the only way we can get 'em!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your lack of self-control says nothing about sugar.

You over-indulged in a food which you were restricting. No wonder you felt awful. It would be the same if you stopped eating meat for a few months and then had a giant steak.

The only conclusion to be drawn from you 'experiment' is that you need to learn moderation.

Yes, this is my reaction too.

I find that one reason it's bad for me to think of restricting foods is that I am more likely to have a desire to overeat the food when I do eat it, especially if I plan to go back to restricting. It's the "better eat it all before it goes away again" thing.

I've found restrictions to be helpful for specific short term reasons in the past--for example, when I first started this process and was dealing with emotional eating. The last time I tried a restriction, though--when I cut out added sugar in January--it somewhat backfired, perhaps because I'd been doing restricted calories for a while and was starting to either need a break from that or just getting to a point where I was ripe to get neurotic about food.

Anyway, I decided to do a maintenance-focused eating plan that was less rigid than I'd been (and higher in carbs also), and found that loosening up some actually seems to help me fight against the temptation to fall back into my emotional eating. But the underlying issue for me IS the psychological reasons. Blaming specific foods makes no sense at all to me.

In any case, I try to and think I eat in a quite healthy manner, and I don't think it would be healthier to get more rigid and cut out foods. I think thinking of food in that way would, for me and many others, be psychologically harmful or at least counterproductive. I'd rather try to think logically about whether my overall choices in a way are nutritious and balanced or not and if not to think about what I could add to change that or how to fix that going forward. NOT make every cookie some kind of dramatic thing.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I was eating a porkchop while watching the Warriors lose last night. I've never had porkchops watching a Warriors game. Never again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Oh no! Is my gelato the reason the Blackhawks lost? Because a Stanley Cup isn't worth giving up the Talenti goodness.

Heh, I was just about to post something similar.

I got dragged to a bar to watch the end of the game on Saturday, and I did not go to a bar last night. Clearly, I failed the Blackhawks.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options

If only I could achieve all my goals as easily as you achieved that one. Congrats!

Edit: oh, I see I was beaten to the sentiment. Guess that flag was fast! Oh, well, I'm leaving it.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic, and I eat 1 smoothie every day late in the afternoon. It helps to fill in some of the allowances for MFP. I have noticed that I can cram a lot of fruit in my 16 oz smoothie ( I consider it a meal) as well as kale and avocado, and still be within my sugar and fat guidelines. My A1C is down below 7.0, and my doc says to keep doing what I am doing. I, also use Atkins products, but mainly the chocolate delight protein shakes. I have to avoid things like chocolate and saltwater taffy and icecream because I have no control when it is in the house. I simply do not buy them anymore. My Atkins Endulge chocolate coconut bar steels my wool, and has sugar alcohols.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat low to moderate carb because otherwise I have a tendency to binge eat. If you restrict sugar and then dump a whole lot of it into your system like you did you will feel like crap. Your body is now kicked into overdrive pumping out insulin. It's called a carb coma for a reason.