30lbs to goal - such a big number!

Options
jdt242
jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
30lbs seems so daunting. I get so discouraged at the thought of only losing a pound or two a week. Does anyone else feel like this?!

x

Replies

• CJ2curly
    CJ2curly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im 40lbs away from my goal. Starting is always harder, but once you start and keep going and you will get there!
  • WeoooBeans
    WeoooBeans Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You'll be encouraged as you see your weight go down. If it is too discouraging, make a smaller goal. For example my goal right now is to get below 180 before I leave here in a month and a half. My end goal is about 120lbs, though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When you're the other side it feels tiny ...it's just a process ..lose a lb and you only have to do that another 29 times ...that's not much

I look back at the 52 lbs I lost and think ...well that happened :)

• ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It does seem daunting! Once you see the first few lbs drop off, you will get into the swing of things. Like others have said, set small goals in on the way. My goal was -67lbs, but I was so excited to get to drop a dress size, then get to <200lbs, reach the halfway mark, get to overweight BMI, then healthy BMI... Small milestones really help, as do small rewards!

Saying to myself to give it a year and not to rush really helped as well. I see a lot of people on these forums say that time will pass anyway, so whatever you do towards your goal weight in that time leaves you better off than you were. So whether you lose 3lbs or 30lbs in a given time, you are on your way.

PS I have 3lbs to go and these are the most daunting as they have become the hardest to lose!
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    I set mini goals as well. The first was to get into onederland, which I've done. The second is 20 lbs which should happen this week. Next will be the 170's which will be a 33 lb loss.

I find smaller goals keep my mind off the "how am I ever going to lose 70+ lbs".
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    No worry. You'll see improvements along the way. Even 10 pounds will be an exciting change
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I had an initial goal of 35lb in January when I started. I am now 31lb down and have extended my goal another 5lb. I'm hoping to be 40lb lighter by the end of the year in total. It's not that long in the grand scheme of things.

You can do this!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Well, what's the alternative? To stay the weight you are? To gain weight? No matter how far you have to go, you aren't going to get there if you don't keep following the process.
  • coal325
    coal325 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jdt242 wrote: »
    30lbs seems so daunting. I get so discouraged at the thought of only losing a pound or two a week. Does anyone else feel like this?!

x
    Start with smaller goals my big goal would be 30 but right now I'm concentrating on the next te
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 28.4lb away from goal, and it is abit discouraging but then I look at what I've already lost 19.3lb.
    I also have mini goals, (each stone lost and each new stone) so my next mini goal is in 167lb, (only 1.4lb away) and 9lb to reach my second stone down. thats not too far off! :) keeps me motivated too!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The time is going to pass whether you're losing weight or not. You might as well lose the weight.

Six months or a year from now, you could be down 30 pounds or you could still be too daunted to have started.
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Think big picture :smile: Sure, losing thirty pounds may take you 30+ months, but that's less than a year! What's a year in the grand scheme of things?
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Set smaller goals and focus on the progress you're making. Reward yourself every 5-10 pounds. Take measurements. Try on your old too tight clothes from time to time. (Size changes can happen more quickly than weight changes, and sometimes only a very small amount can make your clothes fit better.) Don't think too much about your final goal just yet. Do whatever else you can to stay positive.

Also read the stories in the success stories thread. I find them very inspirational. So many people have lost much more than 30 pounds and have completely transformed themselves. If they can, you can, too!

It took me a year to lose 30 pounds. At the beginning my goal seemed daunting, but now I look back and it was easy. A year sounds like a long time, but it is really just a blip.