Calories burned

Options
I just got back from the gym. I tried out my new Polar F55 HRM for the first time. The HRM was right on target with the th HRMs on the machines. However, the calorie burn was a lot more than what the machines showed. The stepper on the Polar had me at 354 cals for 15 minutes. I stretched for 6 minutes and it gave me 87 cals. I did weights for 55 mins, and it gave me 914 cals. I then finished with the elliptical for 30 mins, and the Polar showed 549 cals. The stepper and the elliptical machines both had me at around 200 less cals than the watch. I asked one of the trainers at the gym if there was any way the Polar numbers were accurate, and he said that he would go by the Polar numbers over the gym machines. He said it was possible to burn that number of calories. If those numbers are accurate, then why haven't I lost more weight? Surely I haven't put my body into "starvation mode" eating close to 2000 cals a day??? Any thoughts out there? Before I talked to the trainer, I was sure the watch wasn't working properly and that I would need to send it back. Now, I don't know. Thanks for any help!

BTW, I am 44 years old, 164 pounds, 5'7", and work out 5 days a week doing about what I outlined above. Maybe a little less on the weights. I also do a spin class for 45 minutes instead of the elliptical for 30 minutes, but there aren't any classes right now because of the holidays.

Bobbie

Replies

• Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the gym. I tried out my new Polar F55 HRM for the first time. The HRM was right on target with the th HRMs on the machines. However, the calorie burn was a lot more than what the machines showed. The stepper on the Polar had me at 354 cals for 15 minutes. I stretched for 6 minutes and it gave me 87 cals. I did weights for 55 mins, and it gave me 914 cals. I then finished with the elliptical for 30 mins, and the Polar showed 549 cals. The stepper and the elliptical machines both had me at around 200 less cals than the watch. I asked one of the trainers at the gym if there was any way the Polar numbers were accurate, and he said that he would go by the Polar numbers over the gym machines. He said it was possible to burn that number of calories. If those numbers are accurate, then why haven't I lost more weight? Surely I haven't put my body into "starvation mode" eating close to 2000 cals a day??? Any thoughts out there? Before I talked to the trainer, I was sure the watch wasn't working properly and that I would need to send it back. Now, I don't know. Thanks for any help!

BTW, I am 44 years old, 164 pounds, 5'7", and work out 5 days a week doing about what I outlined above. Maybe a little less on the weights. I also do a spin class for 45 minutes instead of the elliptical for 30 minutes, but there aren't any classes right now because of the holidays.

Bobbie
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Great question and I can't wait for someone to answer. Mine is in the mail as we speak!!
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    I hope we get an answer because I'm not sure what to enter in my exercise diary nor how much I should be eating now!!! :huh:
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Did you make sure to put all of your info into the HRM before you started (height, weight, age)? That would affect how many calories it said you burned.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I would go by the hrm numbers (the one on the watch). Just make sure you've entered your data!
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    Yes, I put everything in yesterday. I'm just wondering how it is possible to burn over 900 calories in just 55 minutes of weight training. Is that really possible? Thank you so much for your responses. I have to admit that I'm a bit freaked out about the numbers.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Bobbie

The thing I find suspect is the 87 calories burned by six minutes stretching. That's 870 calories/hour for a static activity! :noway: The MFP calorie calculator only gives you 3 calories earned / 10 minutes of yoga. That's a major discrepancy. The MFP cal.counter only gives me 714 calories burned for a hour jogging. Something doesn't add up.
    FWIW
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    I think I'll call the 800 number and ask them about it.

Thanks.

Bobbie
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I have a different brand of HRM and that sounds very excessive for sure. I guess it depends on your HR though, but usually in an hour of hard high HR I burn around 600-700 tops! And even that I question. I'm not sure which machine to trust, although yours does sound a bit excessive.:sad:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    yeah, that sounds really fishy
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    I couldn't get a person on the phone today because of the holiday. I'll let you know what I find out. I hope it is something I can fix over the phone and not have to send it back!

Bobbie
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex HRM, with the chest strap, and I have the same problem. One thing for the stretching and weight training, if your heart rate is up from the cardio machines, it will stay up during the weight lifting, and give you higher numbers for calories burned. I switched my workout around, and the numbers for weight lifting dropped by half.

I've asked the same question on here before, and never got a good answer for it, but I have decided to stick to the numbers the equipment give me. I've averaged it out, and the machines run about 1/3 of what my HRM runs.

Do please let us know what you find out after you call the 800 number!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Well, here's an example, P90X says you should burn 600 cal. a workout. I have to say that their workouts are tuff and I usually burn that much, maybe even less, but that's me slacking. Please let us know, cause now I'm wondering if I'm actuallly not burning off as I need to for what I eat.:grumble:
  • Tamrahan
    Options

Bobbie

I got a Polar F6 a couple a months ago. Here are some examples of what I burn:
    Cathe Friedrichs Rythymic Step (step cardio) 61 minutes calories burned 516
    Cathe's Muscle Endurance (weights) 65 minutes 404
    Ilaria Montagnani Power Strike (kickbox) aprox60 min. cal burned 560.
    Mark Blanchard Yoga 90 minutes around 200.

I'm 45 and weigh around 150 and am 5'4".

Your HRM sounds way off to me. 914 calories burned in 55 minutes of weight training? no way.:noway:
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    I adjusted some of my numbers to see if that would help. Even though I do work out five days a week for close to two hours each morning, I lowered it to the next level which was 3-4 workouts a week. I'm thinking the top level should perhaps be reserved for the truly competitive top of the line athletes. I'm definitely not in that league. I also redid my resting heartrate to see what that came out as. When I exercised today, the calories burned came down some, but were still kind of high. I am very curious to see what my spin class produces in the morning. Depending on that, I'll check with customer service and see what they can tell me. I'm back to work tomorrow, and they don't seem to have extended customer service hours available, but I'll keep you posted.

Bobbie
  • readyforyou
    Options
    o man all this talk! i need to hit up the gym again I slack BIGtime around the holidayS!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've honestly become very suspicious of heart rate monitors. Maybe it depends on the quality of the HRM but I keep hearing some pretty ambitious numbers. I've noticed a lot of posts from people who are so excited because they are burniing more calories than they thought but if you look at their tickers they aren't loosing weight. If they were burning more calories than they thought, they'd loose weight. I find it more credible when people post that the monitors are recording less calories than the gym machines as it is generally accepted that those machines over estimate calories burned. I know I'm in the minority here as so many people love their HRMs. From the post's I've read, I think the higher quality (thus more expensive) ones are possibly more accurate.

Essentially a heart rate monitor is still an estimate and it uses your heart rate to estimate your calories burned. According to what I've read, your heart rate is not a completely accurate measure of calories burned. Calories burned is measured by rate of oxygen exchanged. If you could burn calories simply by getting your heart rate up then we could loose weight sitting in a horror movie and scaring ourselves.

I agree with the earlier post. Buring 800 calories in an hour for stretching seems unlikely. You might burn that running or doing elliptical but I doubt it for just stretching. If I were you, I'd proceed with caution and not assume this means you can eat those calories. Check the programming too. Maybe you accidently entered in incorrect info and it's overestimating your calorie burn.....
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    I talked to the company today. The newer numbers are lower, and the guy I spoke with said the lower numbers seemed in the ballpark to him. I've also looked at the posts on the website. One was interesting about how the Polar F55 shows a higher calorie burn than the Polar F80. I think the main thing that I am learning from this is that I need to keep my heart rate lower in order to burn more fat. I'm certainly not going to eat the number of calories the F55 says that I am burning, but I am going to keep an eye on the HRM portion to see if I can keep it closer to a fat burning range than a muscle burning range.

Thanks for all of your feedback!

Bobbie