Pant sizes

Options
So it's been 17 weeks now, and I have lost officially 40 pounds. I am 21, 5'5 and I currently weigh 234.
I wear a size 18 at old navy or a 22 at h&m (no muffin top though)
I have not lost one pant or shirt or bra size within the 40 pounds I have lost. No one has noticed. I don't even notice in the mirror.

When did you all notice? Like I feel like I am the only one out there who has not lost anything except numbers on the scale!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I lost 55lbs and in that time needed to buy only one new pair of jeans, and that was at about 100lbs lighter than you (5'4, 167 - 112lbs), and weight loss shows more the less you weigh. Looking at my progress pictures I can only see a difference about every 30lbs.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It will vary person to person. It depends on where your body decides to lose weight from.

Also, things like, at my heaviest I was wearing clothes that were actually a size or possibly eve 2 sizes to small. I was in denial, but when I look back I definitely was. For this reason it took awhile before I actually had to buy new clothes.

Now, I tend not to buy new clothes unless they are so big I can walk out of them.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you start and where you have to go.

For me it wasn't until i had lost 20% of my bodyweight (27 pounds) that people started to notice and actually SAY something about it.

Since you still have a ways to go it may be difficult for people to tell. Or even if they can tell it's not at the point where they want to approach and say something about it. I know most people are sensitive about saying ANYTHING (good or bad) about someone else's weight. It usually requires a drastic change for someone to say something.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 and my 14's are finally starting get loose. I can wear some of my 12's, but they're still a bit snug. If you've got a lot to lose, you might not see a noticeable difference until you've lost more.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but GREAT JOB on the weight loss! 40 pounds is impressive and you should be proud of yourself!
  • dajostev
    dajostev Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    congrats, on your weight loss. 40lbs is not easy to lose. I would probably say your weight loss is probably in places that might not determine your clothes size (thighs, arms.) Don't give up hope, it will begin to show.
  • katieshaheen66
    katieshaheen66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have lost 27 pounds, dropped a pants size almost immediately, and people started to really notice after ten pounds. But I have only gone from a size 8 to a size 4 since January 18th. I did gain some weight last year, and a size 8 might have been too small for me after my gain. Good work on the 40 pounds! Thats awesome!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the loss!

Second, is there any chance that the clothes you were wearing were on the small side to start with?

Third, have you tried on clothes at ON? They tend to run large so it is possible that you are below an 18 there now but still an 18 with other brands.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 166 and I wear a size 10/12, depending on brand. When I was 145, I wore an 8. At 135, I was a 6. The more you have to lose, usually the more weight loss it takes to drop a pant size.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Spandex: a girl's best- and worst- friend.

At 247 lbs I was wearing a size 20 in Lee jeans... with 2% Spandex. I'm just getting into an 18 (at 210 lbs now) in another brand with only 1% Spandex. But like someone else said, I was in denial- I would have probably been in a size 24 in a non-stretch material. But I carry all my weight below the waist so that makes a difference, too.
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I sure hope it starts soon, I hate to keep shopping in the plus size section, even worst is because I wear skinny leg jeans a lot and most plus sizes are those wide leg ones!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It is VERY true that the more you have to lose, the more weight it takes to drop sizes. I went from my heaviest of 307 all the way down to 250 (almost a 60 lb difference) wearing the same clothes, a huge mix of brands and sizes 18-24, and they were not that baggy by 250 lb. Then around 230-240 lb, they looked insane like many inches of extra fabric hanging all over and to the point that my good friends were taking me aside to insist that I really HAD to get new clothing. I was so frustrated though because when I tried on most 16s they were too small. It was awkward, but with more loss it eventually happened and I had a spot around 218 where I thought I was in my permanent comfort zone as a size 14/16. Now I am in the high 160s and wear size 10, which I never would have thought was even possible for me. At 180 I still wore size 14. It is really different from person to person but do not be discouraged!!

Also, in my experience people seem to notice your loss all at once. When I went from 307 to about 270 I felt SO fantastic and like a different person and no one noticed except my mom, and even my friends & coworkers admitted they saw no difference at all. Going from 190 down to 170 people were commenting all of the time and I don't feel like the difference is that major.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements? If not, I encourage you to do so! Odds are you'll see a difference there, too. Pictures might be beneficial.

I lost a little even in my feet (including ankles) and my wrists. Wouldn't have even thought those had gotten bigger as I'd gained but I learned something new!

Patience! You'll get there.

~Lyssa
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Also, in my experience people seem to notice your loss all at once. When I went from 307 to about 270 I felt SO fantastic and like a different person and no one noticed except my mom, and even my friends & coworkers admitted they saw no difference at all. Going from 190 down to 170 people were commenting all of the time and I don't feel like the difference is that major.

This is so true. Once people started noticing, it was like they all noticed in the span of a few days.

• Jurra13
    Jurra13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's tricky for me as well because I've been as heavy as 160 and as light as 130 and at both weights I wear a size 9. I'm 5'7". I don't get it but I've just learned to embrace it lol