Not doing good

Options
Trying to stick to the diet but afternoons around 3 I get the "hungry horrors". I can't find enough to eat. How do I get over this hump?

Replies

• cmaksimik
    cmaksimik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Phendimetrazine.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You need to pre log your items and space out what you are eating so you avoid the 3pm hungry horrors. That's me too. If I don't eat a small snack before I leave work, I'll eat everything when I come in the house that afternoon. So you know your trigger, find a way to work around it.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    cmaksimik wrote: »
    Phendimetrazine.

Can you please not @cmaksimik

OP, how many calories are you consuming daily? And are you eating your exercise calories back? It's a good idea to open your diary so we can see what you're eating and see what is going wrong.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Plan to allocate some calories at that time for a snack, and plan those snacks. Then, that's what you get. It may not be what you want, or as much as you want, but you won't *need* more, and you'll adjust.

You may be getting tired around 3. Most people have a low in the afternoon, and being tired can trigger hunger, even if we don't need food. So anything that will perk you up, like getting more light, or getting up to go get water and basically get moving for a few minutes, might help.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    OP make sure you are getting enough calories to fuel your body. It would help us to know what kind of calorie deficit you are working with and how you are portioning your food.

If you are netting less than 1,200 calories per day that is unnecessary, not maintainable and could lead to long term health problems.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Try eating small meals all day. Load up on something for lunch with plenty of protein. Drink more water. Chew gum.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. You already know around 3 you're going to get hungry. Plan your meals for the day and pack something to snack on. Easy peasy
  • Nicshtik
    Nicshtik Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always plan a snack in the late afternoon-and plan for a cup of coffee. The snack is almost ALWAYS really low calorie and fruit/veggie or really high protein: an apple and mini babybel, some cottage cheese and fruit, 12 cocktail shrimp, beef jerky...but never high carb, since that leaves me hungry only a little while later. The caffeine helps too. Good Luck
  • allison1983weber
    allison1983weber Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    every day, my treat is a coffee with real cream. I drink that at approximately 3:00pm. It holds me over until dinner and gives me an energy boost. It tastes good and makes me feel like I am getting a treat :) I am always starved by 2:30-2:45ish, my body knows when I need it. Then I drink a ton of water and wait until dinner :)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Trying to stick to the diet but afternoons around 3 I get the "hungry horrors". I can't find enough to eat. How do I get over this hump?

How many calories are you eating daily? Are you eating enough protein? Protein has a tendency to keep people feeling fuller longer.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is more of a habit. You may not even be physically hungry, but you are used to eating at that time. Solution: create a new habit. Maybe have a cup of hot tea or a glass of ice water (whatever your personal preference is) and then get active. Associate that time with an activity (or a variety of them) instead of with food. Be consistent and you will develop a new habit.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    cmaksimik wrote: »
    Phendimetrazine.

With absolutely no background information you suggest prescription medication? You're joking?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Agree with bzah10, it sounds like a habit. If it is a habit you're in luck. Any habit good or bad can be made or broken in a few weeks so as she suggested find an activity to associate with that time of day that doesn't include eating. Maybe you're not even hungry and just having cravings because you're brain/body is used to being fed at that time of the day. I found that if I eat a lot of protein and healthy fat with each meal I don't get hungry as often.
  • fallingapart51
    fallingapart51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, going to try eating a protein bar in the afternoon and add more to my diet.
  • fallingapart51
    fallingapart51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1660 calories a day. Just getting back to walking after a fall left me with 3 fractures. Since I love coffee and fruit, didn't think about the cheese. Thanks everyone. I've been encouraged!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating every 2-3 hours (like me!) or only eating 3 large meals or 2 or even 1.

It's entirely up to you to determine how often and how much you eat.

I like my 3 meals and my snacks. Breakfast clocks in around 300 cals, lunch 300 also. I usually have some fruit in the morning (~75 cals ish) and a greek yogurt in the afternoon (80-150 cals, depending on which ones I have). Dinner is most of whatever calories I have left over, and hopefully I have room for dessert, too ;)

My calorie goal is 1250 if I sit at my desk all day so I make sure I get up and move around to earn some more calories. If I get my 10k steps in, that's ~400 more calories to play with.

Figure out if you're actually hungry - drink some water first & see if the hungry feeling sticks around after 20 minutes. If yes, snack time! Go for something both yummy and nutritious. High protein and/or fat helps for many people. Others do better with carbs.

~Lyssa
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My hungry binges aren't in the afternoon, but at night. So I have adjusted my meals so that supper is my largest calorie meals. Perhaps you should have a light breakfast, then a medium/heavy lunch as late as you can. Tweak around with it, but always eat your calorie goals.
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know how flexible your eating schedule is, but what I like to do is have a (larger) snack high in protein around 11am, such as greek yogurt with almonds, honey, and raspberries. Then I am usually hungry for lunch between 12-1pm. I find that the later I eat my lunch, the more satisfied I am with a small snack around 3-4 like veggies/hummus, granola bar, etc. to tide me over before dinner.

Also, having a tea or a coffee in between eating helps me to get to the next eating time.