Tri Training Tips

Options
I am doing my first tri in a few weeks (sprint) and was wondering if anyone has any pointers for coping with anxiety and/or for performing well. Thanks!

Replies

• slocumml
    slocumml Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can offer some tips although I never performed "well."

Make sure to have directions to the race site, so your aren't wondering if you are in the right area. Check and recheck to make sure you have your helmet, shoes, socks, race belt, race info, sunglasses, etc. before leaving for the race.

Try to get there 60-30 mins prior so you have plenty of time to park, find the registration tables, change clothes, empty your bladder and set up your stuff in transition.

Remember to force yourself to go slower than you think you should in the swim portion. My first race, it was about the 3rd lap before I found my rhythm. DON'T go out fast.

Set up your biking stuff in a logical way so all you have to do is put on clothes and shoes and go. Know where your lines are as you can't get on the bike too soon and have to dismount before getting all the way back to your gear.

I was never a runner so that was the hardest part for me, but go out slower than you would for just a run and again, find your rhythm. Finishing is the goal, not a PB. I had one race where I was the absolute last person to cross the line at the end, but still finished ahead of others due to the splits.

Have a wonderful time!!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here's what I got

Pre-race:
    -make a packing list, triple check it. Try to pack well in advance.
    -practice transitions- that way you won't be as likely to do something silly on race day, like forget your helmet or number
    - drive the bike course ahead of time
    - A lot of triathlons offer a Tri 101 kind of thing during packet pickup. Go and ask every dumb question you can think of.
    - Keep your transition area very simple, minimal amount of stuff, so it's easier to just get your shoes and helmet on and go. You don't need a giant towel and a third water bottle and all the extra junk people clutter up transition with.
    - Make sure you know where your spot is in transition. I've definitely run past my bike before, so I make my parents post up just outside the fence across from my spot
    -know the rules, both USAT and the race director's and know them well.

Swim:
    -start as far to the outside as you can. I hate starting in the back because it gets crowded, you get caught in traffic, and being kicked by someone hurts more if they're breast stroking.
    - pace yourself carefully. Everyone starts to fast, resist the urge to sprint the first 50 meters

Bike:
    -don't forget your helmet. That's the biggest rookie mistake
    -know your course and which markings to follow, don't just follow the bike in front, especially if there are several distances.
    -make sure you stay to the right and hold your line so other cyclists can pass you safely. I had a goofball run me almost across the yellow line on an open (to vehicle traffic) course because she didn't hear me call "on your left" and started drifting. She also had headphones in, which is so dangerous and very against USAT rules.
    -drink water

Run:
    -uh, just pace yourself. It'll be tough, but just keep reminding yourself that there's a lot of good food on the other side of that finish line. Last race I did had cupcakes and coneys. That's all I thought about on that run.
    -cheer on the other racers. It'll make you and them feel way better.

Also, and this goes for all three disciplines- don't worry if people pass you. You have no idea what kind of race they're running, just run your own race and you'll be fine.

TLDR: have fun, follow the rules, eat the cupcakes.