Protein bars and sugar content-YIKES!

Options
kimark1
kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
My goodness!! I purchased a protein bar (Clif Builder's chocolate mint- tasted delicious BTW) because I was looking for something as an alternative to some of the things I have been eating for breakfast and I was surprised after I ate the dumb thing how many grams of sugar it contained. It did have 20g of protein and 270 calories. I picked it up to try it based on the fact that it said "entirely natural" and high in protein and I didn't read the entire label. I was hoping to eat something in the morning that was a little sweet but made me feel full as well. Does someone have an alternative to this that doesn't have as many grams of sugar? Thanks!

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love Pure protein bars. They have about 180-200 calories and not as much sugar.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I eat Larabars and the one I like, Cashew Cookie, has 18 grams of sugar. The sugar in the Larabars does not really concern me, since the sugars come from dates and is not a processed sugar.
    My daily sugar is usually over the MFP recommendation, but it comes from fruits and some peanut butter.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars - 20g of protein, 2g of sugar and 180 - 200 calories. Not bad tasting either - I prefer the chocolate peanut butter ones.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/231552/good-eats-power-trip

You can make your own! Good Eats just put this episode on Hulu the other day and I think its perfect timing because I was thinking about wanting to try and eat bars for breakfast as something easy and fast to have.
  • Mekobrig
    Mekobrig Posts: 2
    Options
    Hola!

I like to eat the Quaker True Delights chewy granola bars (dark chocolate raspberry almond) 150 calories, 8 grams sugar, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, and 5 grams fat (very tasty).
  • kimark1
    Options
    I have eaten the Kashi granola bars which are good but wanted something to make me feel fuller than those for breakfast. Will have to look into the ones you make on your own.
  • kimark1
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're using it for - if you're using it as a high carb snack for energy (i.e. hiking, vigorous activity, running) then the sugar does serve some purpose.

If you're looking for more of a snack or meal replacement with much less sugar, try a Dr.'s CarbRite bar or similar that's very low in carbohydrate / sugar free.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I know it was surprising at first. I deciding after doing some research into some different brands that I would make my own. I found some good recipes just by googling. I make my own with sugar free protein powder, almonds and other yummy things. 300 calories 10 grams of sugar. (with the chocolate chips I add.) I varied my recipe from the link below.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5598696_make-high-protein-granola-bars.html
  • JackieCorino411
    Options
    Have you tried any of the Special K bars? They have a variety of flavors and are very good! Unfortunatly, it does seem like protein bars are packed with sugar. If its protein packed snack you are seeking, try a handfull of peanuts or pistachios.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I make a chocolate protein shake with 1/2 banana every morning, and I love it. (I actually only drink half of it for breakfast, and I put the other half in the freezer for a midafternoon frozen snack treat - YUM!!)

The full shake contains one scoop of chocolate Designer Whey chocolate protein powder, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, a half of a banana (if one of my kids doesn't want the other half, I put it in a ziploc and freeze it, and then use that in the next day's shake), and lately I started adding one tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, because I really like it chocolate-y. :) I put 2-3 ice cubes in the blender with it so it blends up think and creamy.

The full shake as blended above has 208 cal, 9 grams of sugar and 21 grams of protein.

:)
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    NO BAKE PROTEIN BAR

This recipe came from Oxygen Magazine (dec'09)

2 cups oats
    1/2 cup natural nut butter ( I use almond butter)
    4 scoops protein powder ( chocolate or vanilla)
    1 tbsp ground flaxseed
    1/2 cup water

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Linea square baking pan with wax paper and press mixture into pan - spread evenly.
    Freeze for 30 minutes and then slice into 8 servings.

230 cal
    10 g fat
    21 g carb
    4 g fibers
    15 g protein

Very easy and nutritous! I make these alot.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I used to eat pure protein bars. They are pretty good and not bad in sugar.

Anymore, I don't eat them. I love to eat and don't want to waste calories on something I don't love. If its in my diary it because I love to eat it.
  • Zandra2011
    Zandra2011 Posts: 1
    Options
    Lara Bars are great tasting, filling, and low in sugar.
  • kimark1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!