Jogging to tone belly?

Options
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but bear with me!

I'm currently 175 pounds 5'3 and I have a bit of loose skin on my lower belly from losing 100 pounds. I've heard that jogging/running can tone your belly and I really want to start! but my fear is if i lose weight from jogging will i also gain more loose skin? =(

Replies

• its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of belly fat to lose, and im so scared to lose it because i don't want to deal with tons of skin. ( I used to have TONS of skin on my belly but gained some weight and now its 90% gone)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Jogging will burn calories and help you lose weight but it will not directly affect your belly.

Loosing weight will cause you to have loose skin. Depending on your age and health at least some elasticity will return to the overstretched skin.

No exercise can do it, none!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You lose weight from eating in a calorie deficit. Jogging can help you reach that deficit, but not if you don't know how much you're eating. Also, you can't spot reduce, the fat will come off wherever it wants.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    In what way will jogging tone your belly? Who told you this? Theres a limited amount you cna do to avoid loose skin and for some people it will be inevitable, depending on age, genetics, how much you have to lose, speed of loss, resitance exercises. As pointed out by the other jogging will burn calories which in turn assist the deficit to lose weight.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope. Time and genetics will determine if and how much loose skin will tighten up after weight loss. There are no exercises that will help.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    "The best exercise for developing abs (toning the belly) is three sets of stop eating so damn much." ~ T-Nation.

In other words, a calorie deficit is the only way you will lose weight around the belly. You cannot spot reduce and loose skin will naturally fix itself in its own time.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you want to jog anyway, and are fearful of more loose skin from weight loss, you can avoid extra weight loss by eating back the calories you burned from jogging.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    But besides for weight loss by helping with your calorie deficit, jogging does have a slight effect on tightening up your core muscles. It's nowhere near as sculpting as lifting would be, but it does help.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I found my stomach tightened up dramatically when I started jogging!!!