What would you eat when faced with this menu?

Options
We are celebrating a birthday tonight by going to Catfish Palour. I can't find any nutritional information online except for hushpuppies and sauces. Ugh

I was thinking a caesar salad without the dressing and salmon.
Here's the link to what I'm up agaist.

http://catfishparlour.com/georgeotwn---evening-and-weekend-menu.html

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd have the grilled salmon...or if I was in the mood blackened.
  • Datarn
    Datarn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Grilled salmon or tilapia look good. And a salad would work. I usually get the dressing on the side - I can't eat dry salad (that's just me!) Enjoy!!
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If they steam their rice, grilled or blackened fish over rice with coleslaw would probably be pretty good on cals. See if they'll do a side salad or veg instead of the hush puppies (those things are practically drugs in my book...one is never enough lol)
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I was thinking a caesar salad without the dressing and salmon.
    Here's the link to what I'm up agaist.

I would just swap the salmon for shrimp (personal preference)~ but it all sounds delicous!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'd get that lemon pepper salmon. I would love to eat at this place.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    shrimp...1 calorie per gram and protein is great too.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I'd get the grilled chicken breast dinner and not eat the parts I don't want. I'd likely eat the rice, beans and slaw and skip the hush puppies. How many calories do you have for dinner? (I usually have between 900-1200 calories, because I do small lunches.)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Maybe a few sides instead of a main? (One side you really want, and one or two with calories in mind.)

Shrimp is fairly low cal.

Or get whatever you want and ask to get half packed up for later. (If what you order will survive to & in the fridge overnight! The waitress/waiter can usually ask in the kitchen if you're not sure.)

And of course you can always just eat what you want and enjoy yourself. It's one dinner. (But I don't know, if you've been doing that a lot lately, or don't even like the menu much, might not be worth it.)
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Your idea of salad sounds good too, just to be clear :smile: Lots of protein and flavor in salmon. I'm just salad-averse and I'm constantly trying to get the healthiest thing on the menu that isn't a salad.
  • caseyjfer
    caseyjfer Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Catfish caesar salad (minus the croutons)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd get that lemon pepper salmon. I would love to eat at this place.

Yumm! Me too. I'd add some fried okra because I LOVE it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go with tilapia or salmon or mahi mahi. Do you get all of those sides or do you pick 1 or two? If you have to pick, I would pick coleslaw and the beans. Not sure if I'd like the beans but I would want to try them.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Blackened Mahi Mahi, Ceasar salad, and a piece of that blackberry cobbler.

Rigger
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    Your idea of salad sounds good too, just to be clear :smile: Lots of protein and flavor in salmon. I'm just salad-averse and I'm constantly trying to get the healthiest thing on the menu that isn't a salad.

Ceasar Salad dressing (creamy kind) is very high in calories.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    That looks SO tasty. I’d have any kind of grilled fish, keep one side I like most (probably the beans cause yum), and swap the other sides for veggies. No reason why you can’t enjoy yourself :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I would order 6 blackened shrimp. I would ask to substitute the rice, beans and hush puppies for extra side veggies. I would probably eat the coleslaw (I love that stuff), and I might get a cup of gumbo. A little bad with the good LOL.

But yes... shrimp all the way!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This confuses me! I'm not from the US and I guess I'm just not in the right frame of mind to look at menus written differently to what I'm used to. That said, I like your idea. I would probably get side-orders only; gumbo (soup-like is good!) and veggies. They also hade a Caesar salad and catfish as a side. I'm not sure how common it is to just order sides to eat along with the other people's mains, but I do it all the time if I don't like the mains (but I'm a vegetarian and quite picky so that might have more to do with it).

Good luck!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I would also skip the salad and just get extra side veggies.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'd get the spicy grilled salmon or mahi mahi. I'd 86 the rice, hushpuppies, slaw, beans, and tarter sauce, then I'd add a side Caesar salad & side veggies.