Lifting for a beginner?

Options
Calamitycazza
Calamitycazza Posts: 87 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Firstly, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the gaining forum or here, so I decided to post in both! :)

I want to start lifting, but I have absolutely no idea where to start! My goal is to lose weight at the moment so I have already upped my calories from 1,300 to 1,700 because I know I'll need the energy. I have the bench/weights/squat rack etc, I just need help starting out!

I have a basic Idea of a workout plan, it goes a little like this:

Workout A : Squats 3 sets - 8-10 reps
Bench press 3 sets - 8-10 reps
Overhead press 3 sets - 8-10 reps

Workout B: Squats
Bench Press 3 sets - 8-10 reps
Dead lift 3 sets - 8-10 reps
Chin ups/pull ups 3 sets - 8-10 reps

The workouts will be changed around. So week 1 will be:

Mon: Workout A
Wed: Workout B
Fri: Workout A

And week two:

Mon: Workout B
Wed: Workout A
Fri: Workout B

Should I make any changes to this?

I understand that I need to start light, light enough that It's a little bit easy, then build up. Would it be best to add an extra 5kg weekly, or less than that?

Also, tracking my workouts, It seems very daunting to me as I haven't a clue how it should look! I've been doing tons of researching online, but I'd rather get advice from professionals before I do anything.

Basically I need a full beginners tutorial on what exercises I should do, creating a workout plan and how to track my progress! I've tried lifting with a friend (he's been lifting for two years) and I really enjoyed it and found myself wanting to try harder so I can lift more, so I decided to take it on myself.

I know there are a lot of questions, but I want to make sure I get everything right! Also if there is anything else that you think I've missed or will be helpful, please let me know!

Replies

• Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am currently reading 'new rules of lifting for woman' and it's so far a great read with a program too. Might be worth a look. Also I have heard good things about 5x5 stronglifts.

I'll be starting the NROLFW in July of your keen :)
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Don't jump straight to lifting heavy until you have your form down. Seriously, that's a good way to wreck yourself. Ensure your form is sound, then progressively add weight. 5kg a week is a totally reasonable progression (and there's a reason why the StrongLifts 5x5 app recommends that). Check your ego a bit at first and you'll quickly be pushing your limits and celebrating new PRs (with a lot less risk of injury)!

I recommend Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 over StrongLifts 5x5 because it has additional accessory work and is really an ideal novice program. If you've got a smart phone or iPod Touch, you can use BodySpace (requires either mobile data or WiFi connection) or Jefit (doesn't require internet connection) to build workout templates and track your workouts really easily!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Jefit is amazingly awesome.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Especially as a beginner, it really makes more sense to follow a programme. I started making up my own stuff (after a lot of research) but switched to Strong Curves after a few months and saw much better progress. Good programmes to start with are Strong Curves, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, StrongLifts 5x5, most of Nia Shanks' programmes. Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting are more physique-oriented, Starting Strength and StrongLifts more strength-oriented, and Nia Shanks has programmes for both. It doesn't really matter what you start with. Pick a programme that you think you'll enjoy.

Form ALWAYS trumps weight! Start light and get your form down first. Filming yourself is a good idea and if you're uncertain, you can post the videos in the Eat, Train, Progress group here for a form check.

I generally prefer to track my lifting sessions with pen and paper, but I've also used the Progression app for android and liked it a lot.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Especially as a beginner, it really makes more sense to follow a programme. I started making up my own stuff (after a lot of research) but switched to Strong Curves after a few months and saw much better progress. Good programmes to start with are Strong Curves, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, StrongLifts 5x5, most of Nia Shanks' programmes. Strong Curves and New Rules of Lifting are more physique-oriented, Starting Strength and StrongLifts more strength-oriented, and Nia Shanks has programmes for both. It doesn't really matter what you start with. Pick a programme that you think you'll enjoy.

Form ALWAYS trumps weight! Start light and get your form down first. Filming yourself is a good idea and if you're uncertain, you can post the videos in the Eat, Train, Progress group here for a form check.

I generally prefer to track my lifting sessions with pen and paper, but I've also used the Progression app for android and liked it a lot.

All of this.

At least in the beginning I'd recommend a program. It's harder to build a routine than you would think. For example, you don't have any rows in yours. What you've got is pretty similar to Stronglifts or Starting Strength, but following a program will help you know when to increase weight and what to do if you get stuck.
  • HaleyBrom
    HaleyBrom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have just started to get into weights too.
    I am enjoying it so far but this has helped me as I didn't know about the apps ;)
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @Calamitycazza Sounds like you have the equipment and a fair idea of what you want to accomplish. Unlike another poster here said StrongLifts 5x5 is for lifters from beginning to advanced. Check it out here stronglifts.com/5x5/. It has an app to help guide you through your workouts and progressions. If you are already capable of lifting a 45lb Olympic bar you are ready to start the program.

Remember that as you progress you will not progress in each exercise at the same rate. No one can or does. You are going to miss reps and sets. The program expect that and the app will have you set up for your next try at that exercise.

Start light and stay light until you have Perfect Form. I can not emphasize enough achieving Perfect Form. Without Perfect Form you will injure yourself. Watch the videos on the 5x5 site. Then video yourself and compare. Check around your area for a certified personal trainer who is familiar with lifting. Hire them to teach the Perfect Form for each exercise. Once they are satisfied that you have Perfect Form you can start to lift seriously. Once you start to lift heavy and have missed a few reps and sets, have that personal trainer come back out and check your form again to see if anything has changed.

Good Luck and Good Lifting!
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    @Calamitycazza Sounds like you have the equipment and a fair idea of what you want to accomplish. Unlike another poster here said StrongLifts 5x5 is for lifters from beginning to advanced. Check it out here stronglifts.com/5x5/. It has an app to help guide you through your workouts and progressions. If you are already capable of lifting a 45lb Olympic bar you are ready to start the program.

Remember that as you progress you will not progress in each exercise at the same rate. No one can or does. You are going to miss reps and sets. The program expect that and the app will have you set up for your next try at that exercise.

Start light and stay light until you have Perfect Form. I can not emphasize enough achieving Perfect Form. Without Perfect Form you will injure yourself. Watch the videos on the 5x5 site. Then video yourself and compare. Check around your area for a certified personal trainer who is familiar with lifting. Hire them to teach the Perfect Form for each exercise. Once they are satisfied that you have Perfect Form you can start to lift seriously. Once you start to lift heavy and have missed a few reps and sets, have that personal trainer come back out and check your form again to see if anything has changed.

Good Luck and Good Lifting!

I wouldn't stress the perfect form thing too much. Good form would be a better statement. If you've ever been to or participated in powerlifting, the max lifts are rarely perfect form. Besides perfect for one is imperfect for another because of anatomy. For example, some people can squat far lower than others and both forms would be fine depending on anatomy. Strength training and form are not one size fits all.

OP, I do agree with DesertGunR in that I would start with a program like Stronglifts 5x5. Strong Curves is also a great program and has beginner, intermediate, and advanced programs. One thing I would point out about the program that you are trying to put together is that I would add back work, like Iliftheavyacrylics has pointed out. Maybe add in croc rows or bent over rows.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts is pretty good but not for begginers but workout you mentioned is good enough to get in game and no its not necessary to start light enough if you can go heavy. Started from squatting 225 first day at gym, Push yourself in weight room and sounds like you already have idea on what you doing so

It is a beginner program actually.
  • ambamaden
    ambamaden Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have a look on bodybuilding.com
    There is great programs for people at every level of lifting. You can also use the site for tracking your workouts :smile:
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A good beginner program should be very specific about what exercises to do, how often to do them, how many sets, how many reps, when to add weight, and what to do if you fail to hit a goal. Find a good program (several have been mentioned in this thread already) and follow it to the letter. Pay particular attention to the progression rules (when to add weight) and re-set rules (what to do when you fail).

As a beginner, you should not try to design your own program. Either use one of the pre-packaged ones, or hire a good trainer to design one for you.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It is a beginner program actually.

It is a "beginners" program only if you consider a "beginners" program one that can last for years as it has modifications for 3x5, 3x3 and 1x3 plus it includes numerous additional accessory lifts into it. Then the ability to swap to two different Madcow 5x5 programs when you hit 300lb Squats and have plateaued there. Though, depending on the person 400lb+ squats can be achieved before needing to change up the routine. The variations available to the program are capable of taking you to professional lifting, if that is your ultimate goal. Though if you want to be a professional bodybuilder you'll need a little more than just a program to get you there, if you know what I mean.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the LiveFit program as a beginner and finding that it's really great. Also reading TNROLFW, and very much enjoying it. Lots of videos to help with form and performing the exercises properly. NOT super great at providing guidance for caloric intake, though. That part, I've had to figure out on my own. She tells you how much to eat and when, but I'm a numbers gal who wants to work off specifics. ;)