Can anyone help explain this loss?

Options
So two days ago I posted about being worried about weight gain from taking a week vacation in Florida. Mass amounts of food and no exercise.

Despite my desire not to weigh myself, I got on the scale today at the gym for the first time since I left.

I somehow had lost a pound in my gluttonous week.

Is this a fluke? Has the extreme calorie intake just not caught up with me yet? Or could it possibly be my body actually benefited from the extreme calorie intake versus my diet while I'm home? Is there anything I should take away or learn from this, or just go back to what I was doing before?

Also when you weigh yourselves, do you do it naked, or with all your workout clothes on? For the first time today I did it without my workout shoes at the gym and weighed in at 127.4, which made me incredibly excited!

Replies

• wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    pjs which are quite light
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    an increase in calorie intake CAN lead to a loss of weight since it shocks your body into burning more... but only for a bit while your body adjusts again. so i'd say it's obviously been good for you (and therefore dont worry about the occassional cheat day) but just continue with your diet now. you should continue losing steadily now since you increased your metabolism again
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you weigh with clothes on make sure its the same clothes and the same time each day.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    your shoes could weigh a pound or 2.
    Always weigh at the same time of day under the same conditions, with the same clothing, and same hydration level.

As soon as you wake up, after your morning pee, and naked, is the MOST accurate way.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Maybe you sped up your metabolism enough that your body is a lean. mean, calorie burning machine. As for weighting myself, I at least have my undies on.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well, just removing your shoes may explain the loss! Some athletic shoes weigh as much as a pound each.

Other than that, I have taken "time off" from time to time, and I do discover that my gastrointestinal system works much more quickly (if you get my drift), but other than that I gain weight. What I don't know is what you were doing prior to your "week o'gluttony." Were you one of those people who consistently eats way less than MFP advises? If so, you might have been starving yourself and lowered your metabolism. Was your week of gluttony truly AWFUL, or was it just a bit more than usual. (I struggle with binge eating, so when I am bad, I am REALLY bad.) If it was just a bit more, perhaps you only gained a pound or two and the shoes made up the difference?

Just thinking out loud here.
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    its probably water weight just make sure you work out and drink lots of water if you are going to cheat...You have to drink about 8 glasses of water a day and it is okay to cheat just dont be a gluten.
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    you should weigh yourself as soon as you wake up after you have done your business in the bathroom. You should still be in your jammies. This is the best time to accurately weigh yourself. Don't weigh yourself after you work out as the scale may not be able to contribute to the muscle mass and water weight.
  • JackieCorino411
    Options
    The loss you are seeing on your scale could be a result of losing muscle mass. The same thing happened to me when I went on my honeymoon to an all inclusive resort.

Also, sometimes when I eat more, I don't feel as bloated and stuffed. I think this has to do with the calories jumpstarting my metabolism.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    So two days ago I posted about being worried about weight gain from taking a week vacation in Florida. Mass amounts of food and no exercise.

Despite my desire not to weigh myself, I got on the scale today at the gym for the first time since I left.

I somehow had lost a pound in my gluttonous week.

Is this a fluke? Has the extreme calorie intake just not caught up with me yet? Or could it possibly be my body actually benefited from the extreme calorie intake versus my diet while I'm home? Is there anything I should take away or learn from this, or just go back to what I was doing before?

Also when you weigh yourselves, do you do it naked, or with all your workout clothes on? For the first time today I did it without my workout shoes at the gym and weighed in at 127.4, which made me incredibly excited!

You should weight in as close to the same as possible your weight fluctuates by 3 to 5 lbs from morning to night everyday. So same kind of cloths shoes and close to the same time.
  • Kassul
    Kassul Posts: 16
    Options
    I lost a little bit of weight when at Disney World as well. While I'm fairly active at work, I assume it was due to the constant walking around and swimming and whatnot. *shrug* It is what it is. It's also possible that you didn't lose a lb of fat, but rather that your activity over the past week made you lose a lb(or part of a lb) of water that'll swiftly return. That'd be OK, you want plenty of water in you anyway :P

As for weighing, doesn't really matter too much as long as you're consistent I guess, but I prefer to weigh nude on Sunday morning after going to the bathroom, before eating/drinking anything, etc...
    After all, I care about the composition of my body and what I weigh, not what I + my clothes and lunch weigh.
    (socks/shoes are right out, since my scale uses BIA to electrically guess at my bodyfat %, body water %, etc. It needs contact with my feet to run the electricity through me to figure that out.)
  • melpalmer7
    melpalmer7 Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your questions but you just made my day because I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks and I've been stressing about blowing all my hard work in that week !
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    It doesnt matter what time of day or what you are wearing as long as its the same every time. Therefore your 1lb loss is probably due to the fact that you took your shoes off. If you weigh them you will find that they weigh at least that much. Good job not putting weight on during your vac though.:smile:
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    Before I left, I weighed in at 130. With shoes on, I was at 129.0, and with shoes off, I was at 127.4

Now that you guys mention it, I really think I can attribute it to a different eating style. We ate three meals a day, at the same time. I would say each meal consisted of anywhere between 400-500 calories, and would always be well rounded. As a vegetarian in the south, I stuck to a lot of salads and breads, but they sure do know how to pile a plate full of food. But we also swam, kayaked, and did a lot of walking. I'm thinking although I ate more than I normally do at home, it just seemed like a lot compared to the calorie intake I try to keep myself at.

;D I like to weigh after I've eaten breakfast, before I've worked out, and with all my clothes on. It makes me push harder to reach a weight and it's nice to take the clothes off and realize you're closer to your goal.

Thanks everyone!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You should also always weigh on the same scale. Different scales and even different floors can dramatically change your weight read-out. For instance, the scales I own and have at my house consitently weigh an average of 10 pounds less than any other scale (and also have a 2-ish pound difference between the two of them). So I weigh at my parents' house.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Maybe you sped up your metabolism enough that your body is a lean. mean, calorie burning machine. As for weighting myself, I at least have my undies on.
    Lol! Are you worried the scales will see something they shouldn't!? Is there a hidden camera in there somewhere?! :wink:
  • junepg
    junepg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    2.2 is the standard for your clothes NO SHOES OR SOCKS.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Lol! Are you worried the scales will see something they shouldn't!? Is there a hidden camera in there somewhere?! :wink:

LMAO!!! I want to give my scale the same kind of courtesy that I give to everyone else.