Do you workout when you are sick?

Options
I'm not feeling that great today (nauseous) and I'm feeling very conflicted. Do I go to that workout class after work or go home and rest? What does everyone else do when they don't feel well?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body. If its above your neck, then its ok, but im always conservative because a poor workout is a waste of time and its only one day. If you arent up to it then go home imo.
  • theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of sick. If it's just an allergy thing or I'm super tired because I partied a little too much I'd still force my self to go to the gym. If I was nauseous, had a cold (or anything that might possibly be contagious) I go home and rest.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you are sick, your body needs rest to recuperate.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do now.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Depends. When I had the flu last year, hell no. I lost 3 pounds actually and never gained it back! I am fighting a nasty sinus infection right now and decided to skip my workout this morning. Smart move. It hurts for me to do anything right now. And deadlifting probably would have made my head explode. If you are contagious, stay home.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of sick. If it's just an allergy thing or I'm super tired because I partied a little too much I'd still force my self to go to the gym. If I was nauseous, had a cold (or anything that might possibly be contagious) I go home and rest.

^^This - especially due to bolded. Many bugs are airborne - be considerate to your fellow humans.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I'm actually, sick...no...rest is kind of important in general and more so when you're sick. you're going to miss workouts from time to time...'cuz life and stuff...it's not a big deal...you won't turn into a pumpkin.
  • Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    As others have said, listen to your body. Rest, recover and kick butt when you're feeling better.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yes but I bring the volume down a lot.

For example, on back day I usually do about 5-8 back exercises (anywhere from around 20-40 sets, sometimes more depending on how pumped I am)

If I'm ill I'll usually cut it down to the main lifts of the day, which would be either barbell rows or rack pulls plus an isolation. I'll usually only do 3-4 sets per exercise. As I train biceps with back I'll usually do one or two movements with 2-3 sets and then I'm off home.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick often, and when I do I get SICK. People are lucky if they can get me out of bed, let alone pretend to function. If it's just a sick-feeling haze and I think movement will help me kick it then I'll try and get on the bike; otherwise I just rest and let my body take care of itself.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, I listen to my body. Allergies I can handle. Even sinus infections I can usually workout with. But coughing, severe congestion, body aches? I stay home. Your body fights hard enough to destroy bacteria/viruses and it needs rest to continue fighting it.