numb feet on elliptical/ arc trainer

Options
kerrifair
kerrifair Posts: 30 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have reebok pump sneakers, they seem to fit well but for some reason my feet go numb (specifically from the balls of my feet to my toes... my toes moreso) after a while on the elliptical or arc trainer. I tried different sizes, different sneakers... still they go numb. Do I have a weird stride or something? I can't splurge on custom fitted sneakers right now.. any thoughts?

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have that happen to me as well, I don't think it's my shoes, I think it's the elliptical. I dunno, the movement doesn't feel very natural to me, and maybe I'm pressing on the pedals wrong. I just stay off the ellipticals and stick with treadmills or step mills.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Might visit your podiatrist. Mine are numb but I have nerve damage.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who says being on the elliptical make her feet feel like they're on fire. She tried changing socks/shoes but has the same result each time. I guess it doesn't gel well for some people. I agree, stick with the treadmill/step mills.
  • tasmin21
    tasmin21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had problems with tingling in my feet, and the folk at my local running store said that it was because my arch was so high that the shoelaces were pressing on the nerves there. I changed the lacing on my shoes to kind of skip over the very top part of my foot, and haven't had a problem since.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I get this with new shoes. You're lacing too tight most likely or your shoes are too tight. After my shoes get broken in a bit it no longer happens
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    tasmin21 wrote: »
    I had problems with tingling in my feet, and the folk at my local running store said that it was because my arch was so high that the shoelaces were pressing on the nerves there. I changed the lacing on my shoes to kind of skip over the very top part of my foot, and haven't had a problem since.

I was just going to post the same thing. I use the "skip lacing" method.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/news/tags/the-6-best-ways-to-lace-your-running-shoes
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Maybe try pushing down with your heel more/ evenly. This happens to me as well and it was because I was forcing down through my toes when I got tired...
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Same here. As tasmin21 and lemon629 mentioned, it helped a lot to loosen my laces over my (also really high) instep. The other thing I do is try to actually pick my foot up off of the pedals occasionally.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kerrifair wrote: »
    I have reebok pump sneakers, they seem to fit well but for some reason my feet go numb (specifically from the balls of my feet to my toes... my toes moreso) after a while on the elliptical or arc trainer. I tried different sizes, different sneakers... still they go numb. Do I have a weird stride or something? I can't splurge on custom fitted sneakers right now.. any thoughts?

That happens when you spend over 20 minutes on the elliptical. Your foot isn't getting full motion range. I would spend less time and do short intervals of fast/very very fast instead. I think you target fat more with shorter duration intervals. But if you insist on longer duration, you can do toe crunches with each step. That will get circulation back to your toes.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Do you have metatarsalgia? Ball of foot pain too? You might benefit by getting those little foot pads in your shoe. A podiatrist really helped me determine why I was having pain, and issues. If you can see one, I would recommend it. Also, if I lace too tight it happens.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. It's actually quite common. what helps me is to concentrate on a heal to toe motion throughout the workout. The harder I have to work, I find that the more apt I am to go up on the balls of my feet or toes without really thinking about it and that makes it worse.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel a little bit of tingly-ness on the bottom of my feet but I really think its my socks They have this weird netting kind of knit and I think its just really pressing into my skin there. Other than that, I dont feel like my foots going to sleep or really 'numb.' Also the suggestion of keeping your laces tied looser is a good one, I find that its more uncomfortable when theyre tied too tightly
  • StephenCyrus
    StephenCyrus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen until I finally found the right pair of shoes. Been doing an elliptical for 3 years now and feet no longer go numb after I bought a pair of Brooks Glycerin 10s. Even after 45 minutes my feet are fine. I also change the ramp settings and sometimes go backwards to break up the monotony.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Get your iron levels checked.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Unlike walking or running on machinery, the majority of people leave their feet on the pedals throughout the workout. The constant pressure on the medial plantar nerve causes the numbness (like your foot falling asleep). Lifting your feet off the pedals every 50 steps or so should remedy this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the only time i had that experience was with a pair of 'bad' shoes. different shoes resolved the problem (for me)
  • kzzr
    kzzr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    That happens when you spend over 20 minutes on the elliptical. Your foot isn't getting full motion range. I would spend less time and do short intervals of fast/very very fast instead. I think you target fat more with shorter duration intervals. But if you insist on longer duration, you can do toe crunches with each step. That will get circulation back to your toes.

This.

And what I do is do interval training for 20 mins on the elliptical and then move to either the bike or the rower for the last 10mins, and again I do interval training on those, get's more done in less time and it's better for your heart and lungs, I also use a heart rate monitor so I know how hard I'm working.

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Loosen the laces a bit, they are probably a bit tighter than they need to be, and be sure to push through your heels during exercise on the elliptical, many make the mistake of pushing on the balls of the foot and this can cause discomfort.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I participated in a research study after I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. They were recruiting folks that had either both hands (very uncommon in the non-dominant hand) or had to repeat the surgery. The premise was that there is a small percentage of people that have nerves that are very sensitive to compression and they thought they found the gene for it. That suddenly made sense of a lot of things in my life. My feet would tingle and go numb wearing hiking boots, skates, roller blades or ski boots. They would also tingle and go numb riding bicycles for a long time. Lacing my shoes too tight. Walking too far. My hands started going numb when I was just 20 and was carrying coffee pots in each hand to serve lunch to seniors. They also did when I was pregnant and retaining water. I couldn't even hold a sewing needle at times. I suspect that many of the people responding to this post are also super sensitive nerve people- compression doesn't seem to bother the majority of people and many people prefer their shoes/ boots laced tight for support. Now that I am aware of what the issue is, I immediately take action by loosening laces, skipping lace holes, even cutting the back seam of hiking boots! Good luck with your sensitive nerves!
  • ryan_aye
    ryan_aye Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Unlike walking or running on machinery, the majority of people leave their feet on the pedals throughout the workout. The constant pressure on the medial plantar nerve causes the numbness (like your foot falling asleep). Lifting your feet off the pedals every 50 steps or so should remedy this.
    Thanks for posting this, I've had this occur sporadically but never really looked into it. Thinking back on when this did occur it is very likely those instances when I was not lifting my feet while working out.