Map My Fitness question

earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I usually just use my Fitbit calories earned after walking but I do use Map My Walk when I am walking a new route or while I am walking one of my longer (5-6 miles) routes. I have noticed that I get more calories earned when using MMW than the Fitbit when I do use it. I have MMW, MFP, and Fitbit all linked to each other. Does MMW have a slightly different way of calculating calories burned, or are they adjusting for hills? The one route I walked a couple of times recently is very hilly and I got about 150 extra calories from MMW over what Fitbit usually gives me for the same 6 mile route.

In the long run it doesn't really matter because I never eat back all of my exercise calories anyway, but I am curious.

Does my question make sense? Can anyone enlighten me?

Replies

• weebee05
    weebee05 Posts: 22 Member
    Following. My friend and I are having the same questions. thanks for posting.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    I did a quick search and found this: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1339742/fitbit-flex-vs-mapmywalk. One helpful tip is to remember to set your stride if you haven't already. Hopefully this helps.
  • earlnabby
    I did a quick search and found this: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1339742/fitbit-flex-vs-mapmywalk. One helpful tip is to remember to set your stride if you haven't already. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks but that has nothing to do with calorie count, it is all about steps and distance.

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    edited May 2015
    I don't know the answer, but I do hike a lot and my Fitbit One seems to reflect a larger burn than normal over a given distance (even though I'm moving slower), so I attributed it to terrain.

Are you using a Fitbit that registers 'flights' climbed?

ETA: I just started to use MapMyFitness to track my runs, based on a sampling of running calculators, it seems to overestimate my running burn by nearly 20%.

LOL - still not the answer you're looking for...
  • earlnabby
    I don't know the answer, but I do hike a lot and my Fitbit One seems to reflect a larger burn than normal over a given distance (even though I'm moving slower), so I attributed it to terrain.

No, I chose the Flex so I could wear it in water. It does almost everything the One does, but does not count "flights"

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

No, I chose the Flex so I could wear it in water. It does almost everything the One does, but does not count "flights"

Then I would surmise that the terrain is adding to the MMF burn reflected, but (based on my recent experience) it's also likely that MMF is overestimating a bit as well...

The frustration of estimating algorithms... ;)
  • arober11
    arober11 Posts: 14 Member
    The GUESTIMATED calorie figures differ between the lot: MapMyWalk, Endomondo, Polar, Runtastic, Run Tracker, Fitbit, Adidas miCoach, myTracks, Garmin, tomTom.... as they all use their own proprietary regression equations to estimate the volume of Fat and Sugars that are being converted both aerobically and anaerobically into ATP in your body, to be consumed by your muscles. Their metabolic equation apply weights to a number of variables: age, sex, body mass, height, heart rate (if available), gradient, speed (due to air resistance), race (due to different fat to muscle ratios), fitness levels.... to approximate the volume of Oxygen your consuming (VO2), at a given point, and from that the energy you're burning. The guesstimates are generally better than the +/-20% Food manufacturers are legally allowed for the calorie values on their packaging, but may be out by around 14%, so if one if on app underestimate by 14% and another overestimates by 14% a 200 Kcal walk may be reported as 172 or 228 Kcal in an App.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

The general consensus seems to be link MapMy to Fitbit, and Fitbit to MFP. (I just trust my Fitbit Charge HR—it'll take trial & error to find what works for you.)

As for the stairs thing, it doesn't affect your burn in any way—it's meant to be a fun motivation. It's based on changes in air pressure, so you can get lots of "flights" walking outside on a windy day.