Do I burn less calories now I'm fitter?

Options
I've been working myself back up to running and use an app on my iphone to log my runs - it works out my dostance and speed using gps and then tells me how many calories I've burnt.
As I'm getting fitter I'm running the route faster and runkeeper says I'm burning less and less calories. Is that right or is it just a basic calculation of less time exercising = less burn?
Thanks
K
p.s. Can you get heart monitors for your wrists? Wearing one round your chest sounds like a faff

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    That is correct.

The number of calories burned depends on how much mass you are moving. A 200-lb person running for 20 minutes burns a lot more calories than a 125-lb person running for 20 minutes.

To burn the same number of calories:
    (1) run faster
    (2) run farther
    (3) run longer
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    You will definitely burn less the less you weigh. You will have to speed up or alter your workouts to burn more calories.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yeah more than likely you are burning less cals than when you were heavier. If you dont change the routine and stay the same distance, your time will be less, causing you to finish faster. Which will change your cals burned. You either have to go longer or go harder.
  • mbaker81
    mbaker81 Posts: 8
    Options
    You burn more calories running 3 miles in 33 minutes than you do running 3 miles in 27 minutes... so I suggest running farther since you are running faster.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Wrist HRM's are not very accurate compared to the ones with the chest strap.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yep, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) as you get fitter you burn fewer calories. One is because your weight goes down and two is because your heart rate doesn't get as high doing the same thing as you become more fit.

The fortunately part is because it indicates you are healthier and your body is more efficient -- if that is any consolation at all......
  • katepolden
    katepolden Posts: 38
    Options
    Yep, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) as you get fitter you burn fewer calories. One is because your weight goes down and two is because your heart rate doesn't get as high doing the same thing as you become more fit.

The fortunately part is because it indicates you are healthier and your body is more efficient -- if that is any consolation at all......

Darn this being healthier thing! Thanks for replying
    k
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    As for your PS --- DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A WRIST HRM!!!!!! Get one with a chest strap - you can't feel it and it is so much more accurate than the wrist ones. Heck, the app on the iPhone is more accurate then a wrist HRM.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It is true that you burn less calories when you're more fit, HOWEVER, muscle burns more calories at rest, so the less body fat you have the more you will burn on an average day (after your workout). Not only that, but once you are a lower body fat and more muscular, you can eat more! So really its a win-win situation. Think of it not "how many calories can I burn with this workout" and more like "how can I increase my strength and push myself to the next level" mentality. I used to spend a (boring) hour on the elliptical a day and was skinny, now I spend 30 minutes lifting weights per day and I'm in way better shape and eat a ton more than I used to (plus its just more fun!).