Protein Shakes

Options
Are protein shakes good for you? Should I drink them if I am trying to lose weight? If so does anyone know any good recipes?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    They're just protein in a cheap and accessible form. Drink them if you need more protein in your diet.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Protein is protein. There's nothing magical about protein shakes, it will not help or hurt your fat loss goals.

Use them if you have a hard time hitting your protein goal for the day. When protein is basically powdered/liquid chicken breast. I use whey because it's convenient to take to work on days I cannot hit my protein goal through whole food alone.

As for recipes, I use MTS whey. With the vanilla flavor I like making overnight oats. I also throw a scoop or two with frozen fruit and kale to make a nice thick shake. Protein sludge is a staple for me while using cookies and cream, red velvet cake, or mint cookies and cream. You could see how that is by going on YouTube and typing mts sludge
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yuck.

Unless you are a very serious body builder or weightlifter, you don't need any more protein than you can easily get through your normal diet.

Trainers recommend protein shakes because they are sold by the gym they work for.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    They all seem to say "do not use for weight loss". I think that's a good general rule, because they do tend to have lots of calories. And if you're not careful, lots of those calories are actually carbs in some of them. I've found some protein shakes and powders that are sugar free and low carb, so they are almost pure protein, and I do use them a little. Like the others said - if you need more protein, use them. Just make sure you record the calories.

Here's where I end up scratching my head . . . if I get to the end of the day and am satiated and feeling well, so I don't need to eat, but my day's protein intake is low (and I may be allowed to eat a few more calories), is it better to drink a protein shake, just to up my protein percentage, or is it better to not eat anything? I think it's better to not eat anything and avoid the calories, but I keep wondering . . .
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    My go-to "protein powder", by the way . . . put a scoop of chocolate-peanut butter powder in the blender with a banana and a little water. Yummm!!!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    Yuck.

Unless you are a very serious body builder or weightlifter, you don't need any more protein than you can easily get through your normal diet.

Trainers recommend protein shakes because they are sold by the gym they work for.

I disagree. Most research shows eating a high protein diet helps preserve lean body mass
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    Yuck.

I disagree. Most research shows eating a high protein diet helps preserve lean body mass

I think it depends on your diet. You are correct that it is POSSIBLE to get enough protein in your diet, but if you're trying to juggle a bunch of numbers - calories, sodium, cholesterol, fiber - it is sometimes hard to keep them ALL where you want them, especially at first. I can eat a lot of eggs and get the protein, but then I have too much cholesterol. Red meat - lots of fat. Fish - not enough fiber; not as low in sodium. Protein shakes are one more tool for some.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    They aren't "unhealthy"....

Protein powder is a cheap easy way to reach your protein goal for the day. It's another means to an end. "good for you" is subjective, but they aren't detrimental to your health unless you're doing something silly with them, like ONLY drinking them every day, or you have digestive issues and shouldn't eat excessive protein.

If you're the 'average person' you don't NEED protein powder, with a proper diet, but it's not something that most people would say to never do.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yuck.

Yep...I disagree too... I have at least one protein shake a day, it is low in fat and carbs and has 30g of protein, so helps me reach my protein goal without having to eat half a cow....

I find that a lower carb and higher protein balance keeps me full and help with avoiding the menopousal waist and belly expansion, and helps me reatain muscle mass...... I do lift heavy weights, but am by no means a serious bodybuilder.
    It is a handy to have on hand snack when I miss meals and want to avoid eating everything in sight after a few hours. Costco Pure Protein. not the trainer or the gym special....
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    They all seem to say "do not use for weight loss". I think that's a good general rule, because they do tend to have lots of calories. And if you're not careful, lots of those calories are actually carbs in some of them. I've found some protein shakes and powders that are sugar free and low carb, so they are almost pure protein, and I do use them a little. Like the others said - if you need more protein, use them. Just make sure you record the calories.

Here's where I end up scratching my head . . . if I get to the end of the day and am satiated and feeling well, so I don't need to eat, but my day's protein intake is low (and I may be allowed to eat a few more calories), is it better to drink a protein shake, just to up my protein percentage, or is it better to not eat anything? I think it's better to not eat anything and avoid the calories, but I keep wondering . . .

I'm in the same situation. Someone please answer this!

• DaveAkeman
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Yuck.

Yep...I disagree too... I have at least one protein shake a day, it is low in fat and carbs and has 30g of protein, so helps me reach my protein goal without having to eat half a cow....

I find that a lower carb and higher protein balance keeps me full and help with avoiding the menopousal waist and belly expansion, and helps me reatain muscle mass...... I do lift heavy weights, but am by no means a serious bodybuilder.
    It is a handy to have on hand snack when I miss meals and want to avoid eating everything in sight after a few hours. Costco Pure Protein. not the trainer or the gym special....

I don't have problems with the monopausal waist, but I have definately noticed that the more of my calories come from carbs, the more hungry I get. My guess is that it's a blood sugar thing.
  • astrampe
    Options
    Not sure what exactly you are asking - I am not doing high protein low carb - I still have about 20lbs to lose, I lift heavy and have set my macros to 40p, 30c and 30f. I am not lean, a bodybuilder or an endurance athlete...
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options

I think your closing thought is right. But, it might depend on how low is low. How many total grams do you consider a low day?
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have been having a protein meal replacement for breakfast and it has made a big difference in my weight loss. For the first time in ages I am losing 2-3 pounds a week. I was not getting enough protein which is the reason I decided to add it. I hate eating at my desk but I don't mind sipping shakes so it works out perfectly. Because it fills me up I don't snack. Even in the evenings I am not craving anything. I typically get 10k to 12 k steps in before I go home at 5pm and then I do a 60 to 90 minute cardio workout. Before adding the protein I was exhausted and starving. Not so much anymore. I use the double rich GNC lean 25. In the blender I put in a few coffee icecubes, 12 oz of coffee (I used the fudge mocha kcup), 2 scoops of the protein powder, and 6 oz of unsweetened chocolate almond milk (vanilla is good too and a few less calories), and a tad of sugar free mocha sweetener. This makes two large "smoothie" type drinks for 215 calories. I drink one when I get to work and the other around 10:30. This is what works for me!
  • astrampe
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    astrampe wrote: »
    Not sure what exactly you are asking - I am not doing high protein low carb - I still have about 20lbs to lose, I lift heavy and have set my macros to 40p, 30c and 30f. I am not lean, a bodybuilder or an endurance athlete...
    You agreed with this quote "I disagree. Most research shows eating a high protein diet helps preserve lean body mass", so I'm asking for the research that shows high protein benefits your run off the mill individual and also to clarify what both if you consider high protein. A ratio doesn't explain that. I'm asking gram per lb.

Yawn....and I am not asking to get into mindless arguments with "clever" strangers on the internet, or produce research just because a random stranger demanded it......
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »

I think your closing thought is right. But, it might depend on how low is low. How many total grams do you consider a low day?

I'm not talking real low. My goal is to get 40% of my calories from protein, but I'm typically closer to 30%, and very rarely fall below 20%. So I guess I'm talking about a day in which I have probably had around 60g of protein. Not real low, but not necessarily HIGH, either.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yuck.

I like you. :) Well said.

Protein is not a magic fat-burning remedy.