Calories Burned are outrageous!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    If anything, a larger body would also increase the energy used due to more fluid resistance.

Water is a thousand times more dense than air. So a larger body moving through it is going to have to overcome a LOT more resistance.

• pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Get a water resistant Heart Rate Monitor... then you can put your info in and get a better calculation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly that's why I went with the TDEE system instead.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is why most only eat back a portion of exercise calories.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Me too. Also, I like knowing I have a reasonable amount of calories every day and don't have to work out in order to "earn" more food. I work out for fun and maintaining lean mass instead.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HR monitor anymore. But when I calculate my workouts using the machines I put my weight at 15 pounds lighter than I am. Then I take the final calorie burn, lets say 500 calories for 45 minutes on the stair climber and log 450 calories.
    I really don't think 100 - 200 calories of inaccuracy from a excersise machine, is going to matter so much. Also, I live in the city of Chicago and I walk EVERYWHERE. Just by default I walk 2.8 miles per day , to and from my sons school.
    Then I walk to stores, parks, post office...you name it. I don't log any of those calories. They are pretty much gravy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Me too. Also, I like knowing I have a reasonable amount of calories every day and don't have to work out in order to "earn" more food. I work out for fun and maintaining lean mass instead.

Agree with this.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    For me they seem fairly accurate. Like my fit bit, gym machine and mfp seem to be in the same ball park a lot of the time.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am 342 lbs right now- when I log my swimming it gives me burned calorie amounts of 800-1200 depending what Im doing- if this is true I should be dropping lbs like crazy! Im in that Olympic size pool everyday doing laps and Im under my calorie counts every day- where is this APP getting the calories burned info???

Might be repeating what others have said (apologies- I'm sleepy!), but I'll say that, at your size, it's not unusual to have huge burns initially. They decrease along with your weight, and as your fitness level raises. Things I used to do to burn a thousand calories might only net 600 now.

But, like others have said, the best way to have a good idea is to get an HRM with chest strap. Don't go by what MFP says because the log can be really inaccurate.