Fed Up With No Results!

Options
Today I got on the scale again and I am right back to my heaviest weight that I have been in 3 years! Im so tired of losing 2 or 3 pounds and then gaining it back. I am to blame, half the time I log and exercise then I just get lazy. The evenings are the hardest part for me. My fiance wants to snack on chips and junk food and I cannot resist. I eat a healthy breakfast and a salad for lunch almost every day. Im losing the battle in the evenings and on the weekends. My clothes are getting tighter and its summer! I am frustrated and discouraged...I need some motivation and some discipline. The older I get the pounds just continue to creep up on me. Im frustrated with myself- I just dont know how to keep my motivation and consistency.

Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You have recognized the issue. It is going to take some focus and life style change to make it happen.

the key is planning your exercise and activities. Plan the life you want. Taking a yoga class of going to an outdoor event in the evening is a good start. have some light snacks around for the night that you plan to relax.

Remind yourself when you see someone healthy and slim that chances are they are working very hard to be that way. The mindset that this doesn't take effort will not work for you.

• ToriJ84
    ToriJ84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough you will do what it takes. There are no quick fixes and it doesn't come free. I post inspiration photos and encouraging quotes everywhere I can. I am also in the habit of asking myself "is it worth it/will this get me to my goal? " before I put anything in my mouth to decide to just lay around all day.

I get the hardship of being around someone who can eat whatever they want...my hubby is that way! I keep gum around and have left the room to get away from the temptation. I am the one who has to live in my body.

One day at a time!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for over 10 years. In 2004 I weighed about 224 lbs. Lost 18 lbs...joined WW, lost another 30 or 40 lbs...then gave up. Tried a few half hearted attempts in the intervening years. Finally had my Come To Jesus moment this January 2015....started at 245...lost 38 lbs so far.

The main part is telling myself "NO" when I am tempted to go over my calories. I remind myself that I don't NEED it, and I remind myself how much I want to be under 200 lbs by the end of June when I go to the beach. And I want to be around 190 or 185 when I go on vacation with family at the end of July...and I want to be at goal weight (145) by the end of the year.

I'm at 206.8 now...I can almost taste it. It tastes so much better than the crap I may eat that will ruin my goals....an old thing they said at WW was "Nothing tastes as good as being [my healthy weight] feels..."

It's mind over matter. You have to get to the point where you are fed up with sabotaging yourself. My husband eats chip and dip and Twizzlers almost every night. 99% of the time I either drink some water, or I eat a few if they fit in my calorie goals. Most of the time though, I don't eat them. They just don't have the pull on me that they had before. Because my goal is way more important than a few minutes of eating over my calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Instead of doing whatever you guys are doing in the evenings, can you get your fiancé to go workout with you? Maybe just go for a walk? It isn't very easy to snack while you're moving. And even if you do, you'll burn part of those calories off.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    You have to realize that logging works and you'll have to probably do it forever. You can also still snack on your fiances junk food just in moderation. Only have a little to support that craving.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    could u talk to your husband about it? maybe he can not snack in the evenings around u for a couple weeks. the first little bit is the hardest but once u get through that u will be set! my husband has just started trying to eat better but he learned a few years ago when i started that it would be best if he didn't snack during our evening time together. sometimes he still does then i usually go do my own thing. or i measure out some of my healthier snacks and will have that
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Or you could just learn self control and let your partner do his thing.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Today I got on the scale again and I am right back to my heaviest weight that I have been in 3 years! Im so tired of losing 2 or 3 pounds and then gaining it back. I am to blame, half the time I log and exercise then I just get lazy. The evenings are the hardest part for me. My fiance wants to snack on chips and junk food and I cannot resist. I eat a healthy breakfast and a salad for lunch almost every day. Im losing the battle in the evenings and on the weekends. My clothes are getting tighter and its summer! I am frustrated and discouraged...I need some motivation and some discipline. The older I get the pounds just continue to creep up on me. Im frustrated with myself- I just dont know how to keep my motivation and consistency.

You are trying to lose two or three pounds? Your weight fluctuates that much in a day.

Or are you saying you whipsaw around a certain weight by two or three pounds?
  • sevenactual
    sevenactual Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Logging works. I'll need to log for the rest of my life. It's worth it. I am happy to do it. Not everyone logs....but I have learned for at least for me to have the things other people want I'll have to do the things other people won't.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. You KNOW what's affecting you. There's nobody to blame but yourself. Nobody is perfect, you don't have to snack if you don't want to. You choose to do it because your goal isn't as much as a priority as you think it is.

Solutions? Simple, save extra calories at night. Eat more veggies. Why veggies? Because they're very low calorically and you can get high volume.

Get substitutions. Ice Cream? Instead of buying a calorically dense ice cream. Buy something like skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. They're macro friendly and are individually packaged. It's harder to over eat that than scooping out a serving from a tub.

If your chips cravings are that bad, throw a stick of gum in your mouth so you have a reason to not eat chips.

I don't get upset when I set myself back a bit over the weekends. Why? I'm the only one to be blamed for. I knew what I was doing and nobody forced me to eat anything.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Prelog your days to include a snack at night.
  • healthy_juls
    healthy_juls Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

You are trying to lose two or three pounds? Your weight fluctuates that much in a day.

Or are you saying you whipsaw around a certain weight by two or three pounds?

I am trying to lose at least 10-15 pounds. I keep losing 2 or 3 and then right back up to the same weight again. This has been going on for months now.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You have to realize that logging works and you'll have to probably do it forever. You can also still snack on your fiances junk food just in moderation. Only have a little to support that craving.
    Logging works. I'll need to log for the rest of my life. It's worth it. I am happy to do it. Not everyone logs....but I have learned for at least for me to have the things other people want I'll have to do the things other people won't.

Logging works, but not all of us agree that it is a "rest of my life" type activity. I've only been doing this seven months and I've already noticed that I'm starting to grow lax toward logging. So far, I've caught myself before consuming something without logging, but I can see that it won't be long before the log disappears from my routine.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Pre logging works and holds you accountable. Learn to tell yourself no and mean it. If you really want it bad enough you'll find the will power to get it done.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Best quote to live by...Nothing changes if nothing changes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

I am trying to lose at least 10-15 pounds. I keep losing 2 or 3 and then right back up to the same weight again. This has been going on for months now.

How dull, you really need to commit and do it properly as well as etting it into your head that you are talking months not a few weeks. If you cnat commit (write down all the ways you get thrown off track) then I wouldnt bother starting till you are. Think about some of the people that manage to keep going for 24+ months and you are only asking yourself to do 2-5.

Ask your fiance niot to distract you with chips etc.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this, I was exactly the same. Unfortunately there is no easy solution, it is about will power. The best things I can suggest are saving calories for the evening, and finding an activity you enjoy which will burn more calories, thus allowing you to eat more calories.

Take it one day at a time; you may find it actually becomes quite an enjoyable journey :)
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Or you could just learn self control and let your partner do his thing.

That ^ isn't helpful.

OP, it is really hard to practice self control. I read a study about how overweight people actually utilize their willpower more than skinny people, but the difference is skinny people do not go into situations where they need to use willpower.
    For example, at a restaurant, a skinny and overweight person both want to eat half an order. The skinny person orders a half order, while the overweight person orders a full order with the intention of taking half home for dinner tomorrow. However, after both eat their half orders, the overweight person is left with a half plate of food in front of them, and it takes a lot of willpower to not eat it and bag it up. The skinny person has no such opportunity in this example to have to use their willpower.

Try to talk to him, telling him that you need his support to not make it more tempting to snack or overeat. He can have calorie dense snacks at work, or while you're not around. I find that willpower is a muscle that grows, so after a while you will not even want those snacks. When I first started I could not have ice cream in the house. After logging for a while, i have learned what a portion size is, and after eating healthy, nutrient dense, low calorie food to fill me up, I can have ice cream quite often now.

Just try to be mindful of creating less of a burden to practice intense willpower. Small steps will lead to a bigger change, and more willpower.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yes it sucks to watch others snack and eat chips , but if you want results then you have to deal with it. You must work for it. Save room in your calories for a serving of chips at night and stop after you have eaten your allotted portion.
    Last night my family got sticky cinnamon buns, I could only eat half of one to be within my calorie goal, so I only had half. Sure, I wanted more but I kept my goals in mind and decided that my goals where more important then sticky cinnamon buns.
    After you get the hang of portion control and moderation, you'll be fine. It takes time but they are very important in this process.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sorry you either want it or you don't.

Yah it's hard when someone is eating chips beside you...it's also hard being overweight...choose your hard.

I have two men in my house who eat everything...chips, beer, ice cream you name it they have it in the house...I prelog my day with my treat at night (typically chocolate)

maybe you just aren't ready to lose the weight...but if you are just don't eat the chips or if you want the chips eat a reasonable portion.

ETA: your subject is fed up with no results...you are getting the exact results to be expected based on what you are doing...so maybe you are just fed up with yourself.