2800 calories not enough for a division 1 basketball player?

Options
hey guys just looking for some extra opinions. I'm a 6"5 male and weigh about 215. I workout everyday usually and take a off day maybe once every couple weeks. I have had previously are about 1800 calories a day for a couple weeks because that the advice I received from some fitness idols on YouTube that were cutting. But I wasn't loosing anything, probably because my body was literally holding onto those calories because I wasn't giving it the amount it needed. So now I've tried calculating my calories with numbers us formulas and it usually comes out in the upper 3,000's but it seemed like 3500ish calories to cut is a lot. So I decided on going a little lower with 2800.pn3vl82vz05d.jpg

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't "hold on to calories". How were you monitoring your consumption?
  • coltonweisbrod
    coltonweisbrod Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I track my calories daily. And track my macros and have no problem with any of that. The only problem I have is where I actually need to set my calorie limit at. Excuse me, sorry didn't mean "hold onto"
    My body is almost going into starvation mode because I wasn't giving it enough. So I was burning more muscle than fat probably.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You're my size to the inch and about the pound. I know why I'm trying to lose weight. I'm a 40 year old engineer without a lot of muscle mass, but explain to me why you are trying to lose weight.
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options
    You're my size to the inch and about the pound. I know why I'm trying to lose weight. I'm a 40 year old engineer without a lot of muscle mass, but explain to me why you are trying to lose weight.

It's more sport related, than me wanting to just "look" good. Though that would be nice to. Trying to lean out. Get quicker, more explosive, faster. I'm extremely strong already and that part of my game is great. Just trying to lean out some and add more to my game.
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what you're trying to lose at your height and weight.

You really should be basing your goals off your sport. For D1 with your stats 1800 would just make absolutely no sense. To be honest with you, you might get a bunch of different suggestions here but your circumstances are in a different area than the majority of the generic information you will be handed here. Just like you found with your You experiment. You need to make your choices in conjunction with your performance and overall training on the court.

Your body was not holding on to anything. That's not how things work.

I agree that I should base a lot of what I'm doing based off court workouts and practices and what not. Was just trying to get an estimate of which direction I should go in. Because I've gotten a ton of different information about it, and leaning toward staying around 3,000ish calories. Just wanted a little clarification to give me some peace of mind and know I'm heading in the right direction calorie wise
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options
    Currently coming off a shin fracture too, so my cardio has been non existent because I'm not cleared to run yet. So I know with that cardio it'll up fat loss. But I guess techniqually I'm not doing much cardio at this very moment due to my injury, and probably won't for about two or three weeks
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel, you need enough food. There must be support people with the team that can help you with this. I could see someone like you being able to lose on 3500. Get your logging accurate (weigh solids, see the sticky threads here). You would have been dying on 1800 kcals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Currently coming off a shin fracture too, so my cardio has been non existent because I'm not cleared to run yet. So I know with that cardio it'll up fat loss. But I guess techniqually I'm not doing much cardio at this very moment due to my injury, and probably won't for about two or three weeks

Actually, exercise helps the deficit, but is unnecessary to weight loss.
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options
    Food is fuel, you need enough food. There must be support people with the team that can help you with this. I could see someone like you being able to lose on 3500. Get your logging accurate (weigh solids, see the sticky threads here). You would have been dying on 1800 kcals.
    Yes, it wasn't really fun lol. Just got some bad advice.
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options

It's more sport related, than me wanting to just "look" good. Though that would be nice to. Trying to lean out. Get quicker, more explosive, faster. I'm extremely strong already and that part of my game is great. Just trying to lean out some and add more to my game.
    You think maybe 4 or 5 lbs is going to make more of a difference than if you took the time to step up your training based on your goal?

I think maybe that picture gives me more justice than I deserve. But I think I could loose 10 and it would help tremendously as far as my vertical and explosiveness. I workout extremely extremely hard. Many times I will go to the gym and lift and lift some in my home gym that I have set up. So I think if I did anymore, that would over work myself. Especially once I get back into summer school and we begin practicing again.
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options

This post right there should tell you that the last place you need to be coming for advice is the Internet. If you really are in division 1 you're playing games with a potential opportunity that many people dream of.

d6mtcnvigrky.jpg
    v5dj6em33wmo.jpg

I am a division 1 athlete, I just had a little boy and had to transfer from the University of New Orleans to come back home and take care of my family, and I'm in the process of transferring to Lamar University, a division 1 school in my hometown that didn't recruit me coming out of high school. So I'm in between right now and don't have a strength coach to talk to, was just looking for extra advice that's all. Appreciate it.op4ft0e3coh4.jpg
    su2517yzvqcl.jpg
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    maybe i missed it. But doesn't your team have a nutritionist?
  • coltonweisbrod
    Options
    maybe i missed it. But doesn't your team have a nutritionist?

Look at the comment right above, I'm between schools right now. So I can't go to a coach at this point. I don't techniqually have a strength coach cause I haven't fully transferred yet. And enrolled in my new school.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ah pardon me.

Like i said "did i miss it"

• coltonweisbrod
    Options
    ah pardon me.

Like i said "did i miss it"

Oh, I didn't mean to come off in a mean way. Not at all! Sorry about that