Advice? Culinary School

Options
TropicalKitty
TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
Hey MFP peeps! I'm hoping you can help me out...

I decided that I want to go to culinary school and have started the admissions process at one school in my area. I recently found another school that has a program as well. My "dilemma" is figuring out which school is the better choice. One program is 1/3 the cost of the other. The pricier school is from a national chain of for-profit schools so the internet is littered with ads for them, which makes it difficult to discern the true reviews and the paid for ones. I've looked at some forums and people have said a community college should be good enough. But is it? I don't know any chefs personally, so I feel a bit awkward calling up some fine dining restaurants and saying "Hey, what should I do?" (or what I should even ask for that matter...) As for activity in the community, I've seen articles about both schools. Pricey one does some work with a large concert series, the other has an association with a high quality/well-known hotel. Both I think have some sort of internship type thing - at least the cc has 2 required internships in their list of req'd courses. How do I tell which program will really get me set for the real world? I don't mind the debt if it's going to be worth it, maybe. :ohwell:

Oh and just a little side note, this is a career change for me. Hence the frantic fears. This is a whole new world that I'm learning about. My goal is to one day have my own restuarant. I've called the comm coll and am waiting to hear back from the program coordinator.

Any advice would be wonderful and as always, thanks MFP! :)

Replies

• Wolffeathers
    Options
    Advice? talk to some chefs. You don't start out as a head chef, so talk to some that would be hireing. Personally, I've been burned for For Profit schools, so I'd go with the CC. But...if the school is accredited, shouldn't matter as much, methinks.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would think the community college would be great. I went to culinary school at the local CC here, and it had a wonderful 2 year associates program. I didn't complete it though because my dream was in pastry arts and, well, the program I was in didnt even glimpse at that aspect.

I would call some restaurants and talk to the chefs. Maybe go in to restaurants during off times (2 or so in the afternoon...after lunch and before dinner) and speak to them in person. I am sure that many would be more than happy to give you some advice and maybe even let you shadow them for a day. :)
  • Shaye85
    Shaye85 Posts: 107
    Options
    i dont know how things work in the USA but in Canada we have both private and government schools, i went to a government college, try getting an apprentship with a good restaurant in your area and your school should be subsidized. at least it is in Canada, i paid almost nothing to go to school and wrote it off on my taxes, plus got trained at a nice restaurant and got my red seal.
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the currciculum/syllabus for each school? Are they similar?

My husband is a chef, and was trained in a vocational culinary program. He has been working in the food industry for 30+ years. Most chefs/kitchen managers/food & beverage directors will hire both types of graduates, but your real knowledge comes from working in the business. It's like a hairdresser - would you hire a top stylist right out of school? No, they need more experience and knowledge - something that is only gained over time.

If if were me deciding this - I would go to the community college AND try to get a part-time job in a kitchen while in school.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Go with the cheaper one.
    I am a chef, and I hate to say it, but when I look at resumes to hire new kitchen staff, culinary school on a resume is a turn-off for me. I look for real-world experience. Culinary schools seem to give students a false sense of what real-life restaurants and working in them is like, and - the big turn-off for me - inflated egos. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but definitely look at interniships and some hands-on job experience for your resume also. Good luck!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Thanks! I'm sure what I need to do is just get out and talk to people. I think I'm just scared of looking like a fool since I'm so new to this. And I know experience is what will ultimately matter, so regardless of school if I suck in the kitchen I won't get anywhere. I know for sure the CC has 2 x 300hr internships that are required according to the course guide. And I plan on trying to find a low totempole position to have some experience/cash while in school. Plus, I think the CC has a more flexible schedule to allow for more outside school work time.

Oh yeah, and both are accredited. I know that the CC definitely has the ACFEF (or whatever that acronym is) accreditation. The original of the for-profit (the one here is a branch campus) has the certification as well.

Guess I'll be calling places to see when would be best to stop by. :)
  • KayleighDawn13
    Options
    I'm majoring in Culinary Arts. The way I made decision was through research. My life long dream has been to go to the Art Institute in Chicago. They wouldn't help with financial aid. As a student there was no way I could afford that. Not at this point anyway. I'm going to a community college. One of the top 10 cc in the US might I add! Anyway, I have found that I am learning A LOT and the professors take the time to make sure you learn everything correctly. I will graduate in December next year-I'm so excited!! I would talk to some of the chefs at different places to get their opinions. Just remember to do what would make you feel happy!! :D
  • DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have many friends that are chefs a few went to community college to start then went to Europe to study further.
    I would say start at the community college level, it will never hurt you. You can always go further with studying if you needed to.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Kayleigh, that's my same fear with the finances. It's one of the AI schools here (don't want anyone think I'm knocking them). The price is crazy for an associate's. My master's was cheaper! I'm glad you found a great place to learn. :)

The CC may be the wise choice.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I went to a CC as well.

Since you asked, I would never pay a "for profit" school UNLESS it was CIA because that name actually carries weight. You will finish culinary school in the same spot no matter where you go-- as a cook. Personally, I don't even think you need school, you just need a chef who is willing to teach you everything you need to know. Or move from kitchen to kitchen as you learn. That's what good cooks do. The amount of debt, (assuming you are not paying for everything up front) you are going to have compared to what you are going to make when you finish that "for-profit" is completely lopsided. That is something you need to think about. My husband worked at a "for profit" school in a different department and I had the chance to learn what the admissions dept. were feeding prospective students, it was nauseating. I'm talking about LIES. Hopefully that has changed. It used to infuriate me.

No matter where you go, your education is up to you and you will only get out of it what you put in. There are many GREAT chefs who are self taught or at least never went to a traditional school.

This is just my opinion based on my experiences.
  • CakeFit21
    Options
    Go with the cheaper one.
    I am a chef, and I hate to say it, but when I look at resumes to hire new kitchen staff, culinary school on a resume is a turn-off for me. I look for real-world experience. Culinary schools seem to give students a false sense of what real-life restaurants and working in them is like, and - the big turn-off for me - inflated egos. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but definitely look at interniships and some hands-on job experience for your resume also. Good luck!

I agree with this 100%. I know many other chefs who also agree with this.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    I went to a CC as well.

Since you asked, I would never pay a "for profit" school UNLESS it was CIA because that name actually carries weight. You will finish culinary school in the same spot no matter where you go-- as a cook. Personally, I don't even think you need school, you just need a chef who is willing to teach you everything you need to know. Or move from kitchen to kitchen as you learn. That's what good cooks do. The amount of debt, (assuming you are not paying for everything up front) you are going to have compared to what you are going to make when you finish that "for-profit" is completely lopsided. That is something you need to think about. My husband worked at a "for profit" school in a different department and I had the chance to learn what the admissions dept. were feeding prospective students, it was nauseating. I'm talking about LIES. Hopefully that has changed. It used to infuriate me.

No matter where you go, your education is up to you and you will only get out of it what you put in. There are many GREAT chefs who are self taught or at least never went to a traditional school.

This is just my opinion based on my experiences.

That makes a lot of sense. The more I've been thinking about it, the funnier the stuff was the admissions guy had told me. Like he couldn't tell me much about graduates from this particular school, but told me the accolades of a few students from other campuses. As more of what he said has sunk in, I've gotten a bit more leary.

I'm coming from science, so I'm not sure where to start with the culinary thing. Do you just find places that are hiring line cooks or what are the requirements to get started in the kitchen without previous experience (other than at home)? I'd like to have a job before starting school or some prospects at least.
  • aportillo8
    aportillo8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As an HR Generalist for a Corporate Dining company I look for schools when I am hiring someone in a Food Service Director, or Executive Chef position... of course we know the difference between CIA and Art institute but that doesn't mean someone from the Art Institute will not make the cut... it’s about the passion for food, the skills to work in a kitchen and the personality fit with the rest of our team members.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    As an HR Generalist for a Corporate Dining company I look for schools when I am hiring someone in a Food Service Director, or Executive Chef position... of course we know the difference between CIA and Art institute but that doesn't mean someone from the Art Institute will not make the cut... it’s about the passion for food, the skills to work in a kitchen and the personality fit with the rest of our team members.

Ooh! Yea a person in HR. I've been wondering where I would fit in after all this. Assuming best case senario of 2 years experience and the associates, what would your company generally say a person would be classified as? I'm curious what is really required for different levels.
  • CakeFit21
    Options
    Yep, I found a job listing and I went down there and basically begged. I had no experience, but I said I would wash dishes, peel potatoes, whatever. They'll be taking a chance on you and you'll thank them by working your *kitten* off. You'll work your way up and you'll be awesome. If you're coming from a science background, they might want to put you in Pastry. It could be a good fit, but if you don't want to stay in pastry work your way out. Just do what you can to get in the door. I didn't want to be a pastry chef when I started, but there was an opening for a pastry cook so I took it. I did everything else and came back to pastry because I was good at it.

My best advice is just to jump in. The kitchen can be a very intimidating environment and if you over think it, it may not be good. It's best to try these things before you commit to that enormous "for-profit" tuition too. What if you hate it??? If you enroll in that school, you won't even have time to work until you have finished your degree and owe all that money. Then what?
    The CC isn't going to start until august, right? So, you have the summer to work and try stuff out. If you can't find a restaurant, (which I find unlikely) find a catering company. It's wedding season and they are always looking for extra hands. Or a bakery or hotel, again, it's wedding season! Find anything for experience, once you get the ball rolling you'll be good.
    Good luck!
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about this subject but I can tell you about my good friends who are both chefs. One is a sous chef and he went to Bellingham Technical College (I don't know anything about this college since it's not local). He's in his late 20's now and never has a problem finding a job. He has an amazing resume. He's worked for a ton of really fancy 5 star quality restaurants (one of the restaurants that he worked at in Colorado used to have celebrity clientele including Giada de Laurentiis from the Everday Italian show on the food network. He says she's lovely). My other friend just graduated from the culinary program at our local community college as a pastry chef. She's already found work but she doesn't feel it pays enough for the amount of work she does and it's only part time. Anyways, like I said, I don't have any experience in this subject but that's their stories.
  • aportillo8
    aportillo8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mon 05/23/11 12:17 PM
    Our Company is different than your normal restaurants...We do a lot of training and see the food side of everyone so its very easy to promote in our company. Once you have your foot in the door its up to you where you want to move within this company.

Examp. of our min exp requirements for "Outside Candidates"
    If I were to see 2 years pantry/prep cook experience with an AA we would def. consider the candidate for a Line Cook position.
    3 Years Overall cook with international cuisine experience and an AA possible Sous Chef.
    3-5 years Sous Chef with leadership exp. and an AA possible Exec. Chef
    5+ years Exec. Chef with leadership and knowledge of our industry plus AA Possible Food Service Director

Examp for Internal Candidates I've promoted recently was a little like this..
    Dishwasher min. Exp not a culi grad but willing to do anything (7 months promo to a Pantry Prep Cook)
    Pantry Prep Cook with knife skills 1yr promotion to Line Cook
    3 years Culi grad Line Cook - Grill Cook Promo (1yr with our company).
    3 years Grill/Line/Pantry (overall) Cook plus Culi grad - 2yrs with our company Sous Chef.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    just wanted to throw my two cents in and say i def. agree with a few of the women on here saying that it's more about the experience and desire. Take the summer and try to get into a kitchen, even if it's jus prep and get an idea of the pace, CC will still be there, and i'm sure you cud even get more assistance with financial aid with community colleges. I've worked in this industry for over 5 years now and still haven't gotten my degree and i've worked and am confident in every station in the kitchen, so get in there! i hope you love it as much as i discovered i did! :-D good luck!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Aportillo, that definitely helps me see what kind of things to expect.

I talked to a chef yesterday and I am going to go speak with another one today. The chef yesterday had good things to say about the cc and was a little dismayed looking when I mentioned AI. Hopefully I can start figuring out places that I might be able to get an entry level - salad prep or something - position at.

Thanks again to you gals and guys for the input. It's been very helpful. I think I've pretty much decided that the cc will be the better option for me.