fitting into new clothes?

Options
How much weight did you lose before you had to buy smaller clothes :)

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I seem to need new clothes every 2 week. But that's probably because I keep buying clothes that are too big because I don't believe I'm a 2xl for example.

I bought two new shirts. I planned on buying them a size too small so in a few weeks I have shirts ready to go. I'm wearing one of those shirts right now and it's a little loose.

I would think it would be different for everyone, where the fat falls off and I assume many other factors. Probably best to just lose it and find out for your self.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought any new clothes. I am working my way down to my fat, fat, fat, fat clothes, then my fat, fat, fat clothes. Next will be my fat, fat clothes, then my fat clothes, and THEN, when my fat clothes are getting too big, that can only mean one thing: I've reached my goal weight! And THEN I will go shopping for clothes!!!!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought any new clothes. I am working my way down to my fat, fat, fat, fat clothes, then my fat, fat, fat clothes. Next will be my fat, fat clothes, then my fat clothes, and THEN, when my fat clothes are getting too big, that can only mean one thing: I've reached my goal weight! And THEN I will go shopping for clothes!!!!

LOL....cute
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Where is your sense of fashion. Unless you put on the weight over night aren't your fat fat fat clothes shamefully out of fashion :smiley: You can use this as an excuse to buy new clothes :smile:

A lot of my older clothes are stained, torn, doing that pealing lint thing or just look silly, onwards and upwards!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Where is your sense of fashion. Unless you put on the weight over night aren't your fat fat fat clothes shamefully out of fashion :smiley: You can use this as an excuse to buy new clothes :smile:

A lot of my older clothes are stained, torn, doing that pealing lint thing or just look silly, onwards and upwards!

My sense of fashion went out the door when I hit 160. I wore pants and shirts too big to hide my rolls. Yes, I looked like a homeless man, and yes, everything came from Goodwill, but I was NOT going to be a fashionable fat person. In my feeble mind, that would be substantiating that I planned to always be fat.

I am now down to my fat, fat clothes. And still out of style. Haven't had to buy anything new because I don't care about being stylish while I'm fat. My old out-of-style clothes are just find. Besides, what is style this day and age anyway? Flip flops and a flimsy sundress? I won't wear that anyway! I have three pairs of pants and about five shirts which are just slightly large on me, with a couple of skirts, and this works just fine for me.

But watch out when I get to my goal weight! But I will never wear flip flops (with ANYTHING except my towel in the gym after a shower) or a flimsy sundress :wink:
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    With clothes, it's more about inches lost than weight. When you drop a few inches on your waist, you need new pants. When the shoulders get too big, you need new shirts. For some people that may be 10-15 pounds and for others it may be 30 or more.

It also depends on whether your current clothes are too tight or a loose fit. If they're tight, then part of the loss is just getting back into the ones you're already wearing.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    For me, I was really trying NOT to buy stuff. But, when the weight crept up at 180 pounds I had to buy bigger stuff. And, at 163, I am smack in between the fat stuff and the old stuff. Fat pants literally fall off when belted, old stuff not zipping or buttoning. FRICK. So, I bit the bullet and bought some new pants to get me through the next 20 pounds.

I recommend visiting your local thrift store for your in between clothes. I have a hard time finding a good fit with my larger size anyways, so for me it was the perfect answer. Today I got 3 pairs of size 12 pants (ann taylor, chicos, and gloria vanderbuilt) all cute summer cargo crop style for $17. They might be mom pants....but seriously nobody wants to see me in low rise pants at the moment. Souffle top is where I am at :p

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've spent a fortune this last 2 months buying new clothes! First I shopped my wardrobe but quickly I didn't have enough in the smaller sizes so I've had to buy some new. It's lovely walking in and picking a 12 off the rack. Jeans shopping yesterday was a pleasure for the first time in my life. I'm a bit sad though that some of the stuff I bought just 8 weeks ago is already too loose - but I'm a seamstress in my spare time so when I get round to it I'll take them all in. Good thing to learn how to do!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ebay :smiley:
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I bought 29" levis yesterday :blush: woohoooo...but I have the feeling that this is the end for me, if I don't plan on cutting away parts of my hipbone :(
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I fit back into my regular size after about 15lb and then they were comfortable at 30lb. Then after another year and no more weight loss, I went down two more sizes and had to buy all new clothes.
  • miss_holly01
    miss_holly01 Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I said 'I won't buy new clothes until I meet my goal weight' but that was years ago! If you find your clothes are not complimenting your assets anymore or are feeling too big get some more and treat yourself. What is the point of loosing weight if you still don't feel good about how you look? Reward yourself now and again. Getting fit isn't easy, try stuff on if your other clothes feel big and if it looks good and you can afford it buy it!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think I first had to get new clothes after about 20 pounds. At this point I've replaced my entire wardrobe a few times over. That's been the one downside of weight loss, for me. Lots of money spent on clothes.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Can always try to save money by shopping at your local second hand store :smile:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23 lbs. I have bought new underwear, a night gown and one pair of leggings.
    I could wear a size smaller shirt now but don't have funds for clothes so probably will wait another 10 lbs or so. My pants and shorts all fit okay because I wear stretchy waist clothes mostly.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Haven't bought any new clothes yet. Except some workout clothes - but not in a smaller size. I've lost 50. I did find ONE pair of smaller pants in my closet I can fit. But they're super stretchy material.
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've bought quite a bit at goodwill and other local thrift stores- found tons of cute things. My pants stopped staying ao at 20lbs lost. Now I'm down almost 35 and can't imagine still wearing everything I was wearing 35lbs ago- I would look horrible.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    About ten pounds for me, although I only had about 20 to lose total. I am now about 2 away from my goal :) I went from a tight 6 to very comfortable 4 and I think thats as low as my hips and bust will allow me to go.

I'll second the eBay recommendation. You can find nicer brands in excellent condition for a fraction of the price-it can be a bit addicting. Buying new clothes and feeling awesome in them has been serious motivation for me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I could get my hips into the next size down after about 10 pounds. I have no idea at this point though. I've lost 30 lbs and have gone from a designer 32" jean to about a 27"
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have found buying new clothes to be an incredible ego boost. New clothes were needed as I dropped from a 22/24 to an 18/20 and now to a 14/16. I also find that with my new size, I like to wear everything much tighter to my body. I bagged and donated more than 10 BAGS of old clothes!

Also, I had a cool experience when buying denim shorts. I picked them up off the rack and automatically grabbed a size 18 and then remembered to grab a 16. When I got to the dressing room I was SO glad that I tried on the size 16's first -because they FIT! i'm trying to limit what I buy at each size because I'm not sure how low I want to go for a total weight loss.