Type 1 Diabetic needs help

Options
Hi, my story is I was diagnosed with type one diabetes 12 yrs ago at the age of 27 and also got married around the same time. Within this 12 yr period I have gained 70lbs have been in a depressing marriage which I left 5 months ago. I started going to the gym, I have a personal trainer (3 days a week for 30min ea day usually cardio). I also go on my own 2 days a week. I usually row, eliptical, bike and do some back, arms and legs. I drink a Vega one shake every morning and eat lots of veggies, eggs, bacon, chicken, paleo bread, organic food through out the day. Well, my first month I only lost 2.5 lbs. She said 5% body fat lost. I am feeling very discouraged but not giving up. My problem is that I can't seem to get my Blood sugar numbers down. I know I need to take more insulin but the more you take the more you gain. I'm very frustrated. I can't seem to find anyone that is Type one diabetic and works out, diets and know how to handle this. Any advise, help would be appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First of all, insulin is your lifeblood! You must have it to feed your body. No insulin means your body is cannibalizing itself for food. My son is a Type 1 and his "skinniness" is because his body is literally eating his muscle because it can't get the food it needs from the insulin. No insulin is literally killing you. I encourage you to test frequently and manage the insulin intake FIRST. You already have some good habits started. Keep going with those, but PLEASE give your insulin! You can't see what you are doing to your organs my not leveling blood sugar, thus the reason diabetes is a silent killer.
  • TexOkie12
    TexOkie12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently learned I have Type 2 diabetes. My daughter bought a book for me at CVS & I have learned so much from it. Although it is primarily about Type 2 diabetes, it would also be good reading for Type 1 diabetics. "60 Ways to Lower Your Blood Sugar" by Dennis Pollack
    I'm sure you have read extensively on the topic but I'm always looking to learn more from various sources so this may be beneficial to you.
    God Bless.
  • vjshoopman
    vjshoopman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments!
  • ashleyhetzel92
    ashleyhetzel92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I found out I have type 1 diabetes when I was 17 and have recently started trying to get fit and healthy too. I have found it difficult as it seems my insulin ratios change as I lose weight.
  • codyjoco
    codyjoco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been Type 1 for 28 years. Additionally, I had my thyroid removed 8 years ago due to cancer. Weight loss is super tough, but testing a TON and balancing your blood sugars will help the weight come off. Once you notice patterns in your blood sugar it will help you balance better. Also, the more weight you lose, the less insulin you typically need to remain balanced. You are on the right track with healthy eating and exercise. It will come off, just super slow. Keep at it!