P90X What equipment

Nix__89
Nix__89 Posts: 11 Member
Hello,

I'm having to cancel my gym membership this week - so I thought I'd invest my money in P90X.

I'm having mixed reviews on what equipment to get though - and I was hoping people who have done it can help me out! I am aware I need a pull up bar which is fine, but its the weight side I'm curious about. I don't want to buy something and wish I had bought something else, ya know?

So basically I have 3 options (I think):
Resistance bands - the cheaper option
Multiple Dumbbells - the expensive option
Adjustable Dumbell - the middle cost

Obviously resistance band would be great for if I went away or anything as they are light and easy to transport - however, I'm not sure how easy it is to use them while doing p90x.

Dumbbells seems like the best option to me at the moment - but they are expensive and I am unsure what weights would be best for these types of workouts.

Adjustable dumbbell - will I need to be changing these weights during the dvd and if so, will I have time to change it before they move in to a different move?

Any feedback/ info on this would be great. :):):)

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Go to a sports store and try some stuff out. It really has to do with your strength. Bands could be perfect for you, or they could be way too easy. Keep in mind a lot of the stuff in P90X is high reps.
  • Nix__89
    I had a look at bodylastics, and you can add their bands all together so they go up to 275lbs with the larger kit! I just don't know if all the moves are more awkward with resistance bands? lol
  • alekth
    alekth Posts: 33 Member
    I prefer dumbbells personally. I used bands for a substitution for the pull-up bar because I couldn't find one for my door frame. As far as doing other exercises with the bands goes, some are a bit more awkward, and some are actually better grip/feeling-wise, but it's just so hard to track the weight with them - sure there is a number for the max stretch, but it's difficult to judge.

Personally I went with two sets of weights - one fairly cheap set with two discs at each side, and one more expensive that is more easily(quickly) adjustable. Started the cheap one with one disc per side, later switched to two, and those are my max weights - mostly for biceps, shoulders, back exercises. The other set I adjusted a couple of times per workout for the smaller muscles.

It's always worth it to check some sites for a second-hand set, that's how I got mine, at about half the price of buying them new.
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    I have added to my collection over the years since I first got P90X but I use a combination of all of this.

-Bowflex Selectech adjustable dumbbells (I only have the 52.5# weights), buy the bigger size up to 100 pounds if you are really strong to start or think you will want to use bigger weights to bulk up. Regardless of which one you use it will be cheaper than buying different size weights for each move. yes, you do have time to change weights between exercises. it will seem awkward at first and feel like you are scrambling but once you do a workout once or twice you get a feel for what moves are coming up next and what the best weight is FOR YOU for each exercise.
    - Power Stands ( not necessary but I like them on days I am feeling great or want a deeper pushup). I bought a fairly cheap pair from Wal-Mart, gold's gym brand several years ago and they hold up just fine.
    - Pull-up bar- Perfect pull-up from Walmart approx. $40. I struggle doing pull-ups but I do like having it as I can definitely feel the increased workload in my back after doing back exercises on it.
    - pull-up assist bands- Again, I struggle at doing pull-ups and it helps to knock out a few more reps and get a great workout.
    - Resistance bands-- I have two sets. One is anchored to the ceiling in my basement with a U-bolt and I use it for pull-up modifiers. The other set is rarely used because I have the adjustable dumbbells but could be used in place of weights on a lot of exercises. comes in handy when my wife and I work out together.
    - Yoga blocks-- helps me to get a deeper stretch on some exercise and keeps me from falling flat on my face on other exercises (twisted half moon).
    - Yoga Mat -- I bought a cheap one to start and I went back and bought a nice thick one. your back and knees will thank you.

I hope this helps, P90x is a great program if you can stick with it. I have only made it all the way through the program once but over the years have modified that I will do the first 4 weeks and then take a break where I maybe do cardio or just play soccer or basketball for the week and then get back to phase 2. last year when I made it through the program I lost 30 pounds and gained a lot of muscle. It is not a cheap program to get into but worth it in my opinion as I have the equipment now, dumped my gym membership and can use those tools for doing my own workouts or really any other workout dvd's I might want to do.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I found bands too awkward. 5s were too light so I had to do more reps til I got tens then 15s. If I could id suggest a weights of 3, 5,10,15,20,25s. Because you will need two of each and som are light and some heavy. It could work having the plated changing ones or maybe you can ave to buy an extra set of something. As well you may need a good mat that is thick. A yoga block. The pull up bar that has assistance bands. A sturdy chair. Optional is push up bars.
  • Nix__89
    I ended up buying adjustable dumbbells and my boyfriend has adjustable ones too, so now I have a wide range! Thanks for everyone who's got back to me! Been so helpful!!!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    After starting with resistance bands, I moved on to adjustable dumbbells.
    I found a reasonably priced set on Amazon (Universal Power-Pak 445). It comes with the stand, and it's far more reasonably priced than the Bowflex set (Bowflex's set cost more without the stand.....trust me, the stand is helpful).......the funny thing is that it's manufactured by Nautilus, the parent company of Bowflex.

I've been using my set since January, and they work great.