Here's an eating out tip that worked for me on Friday!

Options
To celebrate my new job, I went to dinner with a friend on Friday night. Food has always been a way to celebrate in my family...and it is a hard habit to break! We were going to a Japanese steakhouse and I did not want to blow my calorie count completely. I logged on to MFP before I went to dinner, looked up all of the foods that I planned to enjoy, and made sure I knew exactly what I could eat without exceeding my calorie allowance. In fact, I entered them in my food diary before having the meal. It worked perfectly! I ordered the vegetables, skipped the soup, had less than a quarter of a cup of steamed rice, and was able to enjoy my dinner with a glass of wine without feeling a shred of guilt.

Thanks for reading, and good luck to you on your journey!

Traci

Replies

• dgulik
    dgulik Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea. Thanks for the tip!
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do that exact same thing lol. My family always makes fun of me because I look up all the calories and it takes me forever to order because I want to know what would be my best choice and how many calories i was going to eat.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I do that every time :) So helpful!
  • sallycheese
    sallycheese Posts: 33
    Options
    that's a good plan, it will work doubly aswell if you do it nice and early so that if it looks like you are going to go over the calories you will have time to fit in some extra exercise to make upo for it ;)
  • mrsfeuer
    mrsfeuer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    this is a great tip! I do the same thing when I'm trying to plan my meals for the day. I was actually JUST doing this a few minutes ago for my dinner. It makes it easy to see what my meal is going to come to before I make it.
  • TraciLynHobson
    TraciLynHobson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. :) Good idea, mrsfeuer! I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me to do this before, lol. It did make me stick to my plan, though -- and the fact that I HAD a plan was an improvement! I love that a lot of restaurants have their nutrition information readily available, and MFP has a pretty impressive database. @sallycheese -- I made sure I was at the gym and doing cardio a couple of hours before dinner so I could splurge a bit. :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    That's such a good idea! I went to Red Lobster last night, and thank goodness they have a list of their best nutritional choices so I was able to choose from there.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and it works like a charm every time!!!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new job! I do the same thing when I know I am eating out. If I know what I am ordering before sitting down at the table, it really really helps. It also makes me less inclined to even look at the menu, so I won't change my mind.

Michelle
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Smart move.

I always try to use my food diary as a budget to keep myself on track. Planning ahead really helps!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    To celebrate my new job, I went to dinner with a friend on Friday night. Food has always been a way to celebrate in my family...and it is a hard habit to break! We were going to a Japanese steakhouse and I did not want to blow my calorie count completely. I logged on to MFP before I went to dinner, looked up all of the foods that I planned to enjoy, and made sure I knew exactly what I could eat without exceeding my calorie allowance. In fact, I entered them in my food diary before having the meal. It worked perfectly! I ordered the vegetables, skipped the soup, had less than a quarter of a cup of steamed rice, and was able to enjoy my dinner with a glass of wine without feeling a shred of guilt.

Thanks for reading, and good luck to you on your journey!

Traci

Having spent 4 years in my life in Japan i can say that authentic is very healthy, They rarely eat beef and eat alot of fish, white rice and vegetables. They also walk alot more then we Americans do, ride bikes and take trains which requires walking as part of there day in fact almost all Japanese employers make there employee's get in formation and do exercises as part of starting there business day ;).I remember seeing construction workers doing jumping jacks and sit ups before there 12 hour shift. I'd have to go all out if it was a good Japanese restaurant i love that countries food lol. Good Luck