Feeling rubbish and no progress after over a year

Options

Recently, I keep on seeing those motivational pictures that say "in a years time, you'll wish you started today", and it makes me so sad, because I did start a year ago, I've been trying so hard, but I might as well not have been. I've been on MFP for over a year now, and although I've been trying really hard, I've had little to no results. Obviously I don't want to give up, and I still want to live a healthy lifestyle, but everyday I am miserable and discouraged because nothing seems to be making my body better, and I am unable to accept myself as I am.

I have regulated my eating almost every day in that entire period of time. I've tried eating different amounts of calories, (currently I eat between 1200-1500 per day), cut out processed foods and lots of unhealthy things, tried to make a lifestyle change. I do eat very healthily, and I make all my meals at home from scratch. I weigh all my food with a digital scale and liquids with a measuring jug. I possibly have days where I don't monitor what I eat perhaps once or twice a month, if I'm going out to a restaurant/visiting family/special occasion, but still I then make healthy choices, and I can definitely see the change in my eating habits after this year. After reading the forums daily, I know that any post I make will just be followed with the usual "you're eating more than you think you are" and "you're not logging/weighing your food accurately" comments. But I'm not, and I am.

I also have tried so hard to up my exercise. I am not a natural exercise lover, and exercising causes me extreme pain and exhaustion, no matter what type it is. I've tried running, using gym equipment, lifting, yoga, pilates, various classes... I currently do a kettlebell exercise class once a week, go for a ~2 hour walk once a week, and cycle for about an hour once a week. As I have described in previous forum posts these activities knock me out of action for the whole rest of the day afterwards. But I have persevered because I want to be healthier, and see some results.

I have been to see the doctor several times in the past to talk about these things. In the past I've been brushed off with the exercise more/eat less advice, when I got up the courage to go this week, the doctor told me I was wasting her time.

btc4bx9jypyc.png

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You haven't logged anything in the past week.

• jascakes
    jascakes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As I said, I've been feeling discouraged with MFP. I haven't logged food for about a month, but I have still been measuring without using the app. Which is why I posted in the "motivation and support" area, and not the "weight loss help" area
  • CupcakeQueen86
    CupcakeQueen86 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound normal at all, eating less calories and moving more you should be losing something. What are your stats?
  • jascakes
    Options
    I'm 25, 5'6" and currently 79.5 kg
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work done? Tried reducing your calories just a little bit further?
  • Kerry211168
    Kerry211168 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So sorry you're feeling so low, I can completely understand why you feel like this. and being told you're wasting the doctors time IMO is out of order. I wonder if you could see a dietician? Maybe you need to increase your exercise, maybe more often in smaller amounts so you don't end up in pain? I don't know what else to suggest, it sounds like you're doing everything right, but something isn't working. Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Just an idea.
    Try to keep going with the healthy eating, it'll be doing your body good even if you're not losing weight and it'll give you the energy you need for exercising.
    Best wishes x
  • Moobs2Go
    Moobs2Go Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First off, get a new doctor. Sounds like the one you see is a complete jerk. Second, have you tried a nutrionist or personal trainer. They can tailor a program to your specific needs and can even tailor it to address your fatigue. Judging from your pic you dont have a lot to lose and I have found the less you have to lose the harder it is to lose it. Either way, dont give up. Even if you are not seeing the results you want in the time you want, you are living a healthier lifestyle and that can only benefit you.
  • kendi0
    kendi0 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think that you have to start being honest with yourself.. it is'not true at all that you has been log in your calories constantly.. you didn't log at all for several months from the beginning..
  • katieross1508
    katieross1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    have you tried a naturopath? Sometimes there are levels in your body that may be off that can affect weight loss.
    And getting your thyroid tested is totally a good idea. find a new Dr. No Dr should ever tell a patient they are wasting their time so don't let them beat you. Don't give up. There is someone out there that will want to help you find out what is going on. At least you have mastered the healthy eating part. So when you find out what is going on you will already have the hardest part down. Good luck! and try to stay positive!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    First of all, get a new doctor.
    Second, your diary is empty half of the time so your not being consistent. For this to work, you must with everythingwith a food scale and log it accurately. Being honest with yourself is very important. Change doesn't come because we want it, we have to work for it.
    If you truly believe that you've weighed all your foods and logged them accurately for one year while consuming 1200/1500 calories , then find a new doctor asap and have some blood work done and let them know exactly what you've done to try lose weight.
  • jascakes
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts and kind wishes everyone!

I don't know if i can change my doctor, as there is only the one nhs surgery in the villiage, but i'll try or perhaps try again and ask specifically for some tests with the same doctor. Maybe I'll save up for a nutritionist or dietian or some personal training sessions.

From what a lot of you are saying, I guess I will just have to try even harder, seems my best isn't good enough. I'll try.
  • marcosdt10
    marcosdt10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's really weird , let me add you .. I want to help ... @jascakes I have my diary on public so you can check it out and see what I eat so that you can get some ideas as well...