2»

Replies

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    jddnw wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    They all seem to say "do not use for weight loss". I think that's a good general rule, because they do tend to have lots of calories. And if you're not careful, lots of those calories are actually carbs in some of them. I've found some protein shakes and powders that are sugar free and low carb, so they are almost pure protein, and I do use them a little. Like the others said - if you need more protein, use them. Just make sure you record the calories.

Here's where I end up scratching my head . . . if I get to the end of the day and am satiated and feeling well, so I don't need to eat, but my day's protein intake is low (and I may be allowed to eat a few more calories), is it better to drink a protein shake, just to up my protein percentage, or is it better to not eat anything? I think it's better to not eat anything and avoid the calories, but I keep wondering . . .

I think your closing thought is right. But, it might depend on how low is low. How many total grams do you consider a low day?

I'm not talking real low. My goal is to get 40% of my calories from protein, but I'm typically closer to 30%, and very rarely fall below 20%. So I guess I'm talking about a day in which I have probably had around 60g of protein. Not real low, but not necessarily HIGH, either.

I agree that is not that low, especially in the context you describe. I think it is fine to have a flexible and varied diet where your macros vary from day to day.