Tough winter

Options
Imagine that you woke up one morning and you were 30lbs heavier. What would you do? In reality, I gained 30lbs this winter the same way everyone else does...but it feels like it happened overnight. 3 years ago I was out of shape, had very little strength or muscle and had about 40lbs extra weight on. I decided that I was going to make a change, and I hired a trainer at Goodlife in Antigonish, where I live. It was expensive, and hard, but a year and a half later I was in great shape. For the first time since highschool, I could say I was athletic. I also used myfitnesspal to track what I was eating.

The difference was incredible. People treated me differently....better. I got a lot of attention from women, something I just wasn't used to. I stopped snoring, my acid reflux wasn't an issue, and I generally felt great. After I finished with my training, I vowed to continue 3 days a week at the gym. Guess what....it didn't happen! First I would miss a workout every so often...then miss a week here and there...until eventually I was getting there once a month or so. I honestly didn't notice the weight gain. Then...suddenly, I stepped on the scales at my dr's office and I was shocked. Then I noticed that my clothes were tight. Now, it bugs me to look in the mirror. I force myself, because I refuse to let myself become complacent ever again. I started tracking my meals and have been working out everyday. I'm not lifting everyday, but I make sure I sweat and limit my caloric intake everyday. I am completely determined to lose thirty pounds by Sept. I'm using myfitnesspal to keep me accountable, and this post is part of it. Best of luck to anyone else in my situation. I'll take any advice anyone has to help me reach my goal. Cheers!

B

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try not to be hard on yourself (that is my advice). This happens.
    You have a good plan. Have fun executing the plan. :)
  • brianengland
    brianengland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Just as a thought...it wasn't your lack of workouts that caused this...it didn't help but it was your intake...you don't have to exercise to lose/maintain weight you just need to be in a calorie deficit.

Did you stop logging? watching your intake?

Good luck.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It happens Brian! Similar thing happened to me when I left the UK to go travelling. Set goals, set your plan out and stick to it and be disciplined. Results will come! GL!
  • brianengland
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Just as a thought...it wasn't your lack of workouts that caused this...it didn't help but it was your intake...you don't have to exercise to lose/maintain weight you just need to be in a calorie deficit.

Did you stop logging? watching your intake?

Good luck.

• brianengland
    Options
    Yes. I stopped logging and watching my diet. I got to the point where I didn't think I had to anymore. Dumb!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You can do this!
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes. I stopped logging and watching my diet. I got to the point where I didn't think I had to anymore. Dumb!

Yah I've done that too...I've gotten to the point where I realize I will probably log for a very long time if I want to maintain...and I am okay with that...

ETA: *waves at fellow maritimer*
  • brianengland
    Options
    Thanks snickerscharlie. I agree, SezxyStef. My fried (my old trainer) is in incredible shape and he still logs everyday. It really doesn't take a lot of time, and besides restaurant meals...it's pretty easy
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yeah, once you get your 'regular' meals and foods logged in once, it's pretty easy to just slot them in each time.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it should matter whether we say it was a lack of workouts or from overeating. The two are not independent. Maintenance requires a balance of calories in and calories out. For me, weight gain has always been the result of a change in activity level. I did less stuff, but my eating habits remained the same. Yes, we could say that I gained weight by eating too much, but if you aren't really thinking about how much your activity level has decreased, you aren't likely to change your eating habits.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Brian, I could have sworn you were telling my story. 4 years ago, I lost 50 pounds over a 6 month span. I kept that off without logging or needful exercise for 3 years. I slowly started eating the same foods that I ate before and I gained 15 pounds back. I stayed that way for about a year and when I weighed myself in November 2014 I was up another 6 pounds, making it 21 pounds gained back. That was the last straw.

Now, I've lost those 21 pounds and another 12. (some of those were before I started on MFP). I'm within about 8 pounds of my goal weight and still going. You can do it. It takes dedication, patience and will power but it can be done.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I don't see why it should matter whether we say it was a lack of workouts or from overeating. The two are not independent. Maintenance requires a balance of calories in and calories out. For me, weight gain has always been the result of a change in activity level. I did less stuff, but my eating habits remained the same. Yes, we could say that I gained weight by eating too much, but if you aren't really thinking about how much your activity level has decreased, you aren't likely to change your eating habits.

because and you know why...over eating causes weight gain...regardless of why you are over eating..lots lose weight without exercise and maintain without it...exercise gives us more calories to consume yes...which makes maintenance levels higher but again...you can workout all you want but if you are over eating you still will gain...this is the same convo I had with my 21 yo son last night...he doesn't get it...
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Because you're now overeating since you lowered your activity level. You were, basically, using exercise to mask your eating habits.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

because and you know why...over eating causes weight gain...regardless of why you are over eating..lots lose weight without exercise and maintain without it...exercise gives us more calories to consume yes...which makes maintenance levels higher but again...you can workout all you want but if you are over eating you still will gain...this is the same convo I had with my 21 yo son last night...he doesn't get it...

Because you're now overeating since you lowered your activity level. You were, basically, using exercise to mask your eating habits.

There's more than one way to look at this. Yes, because calorie intake is higher than calorie output, it can be said that the person is overeating. But it is just as valid to say that their activity level isn't high enough for what they are eating. While it is simple enough to say, "well, they should just reduce what they eat," saying that doesn't take into account that many people are not aware of what they are eating. They get up in the morning and eat the same breakfast they have for years. They eat at the same place for lunch every day, so they have roughly the same number of calories. They have a few go to meals that they eat for supper. And between meals, they snack on something, but it is similar to what they always snack on. What people eat is a long formed habit. So, when they change their activity level, they will keep eating the same stuff they always have. You don't change habits like that very easily. And since what they eat was working for them before, the change in weight can be said to be due to the change in in activity level, rather than being due to them not changing a habit.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

There's more than one way to look at this. Yes, because calorie intake is higher than calorie output, it can be said that the person is overeating. But it is just as valid to say that their activity level isn't high enough for what they are eating. While it is simple enough to say, "well, they should just reduce what they eat," saying that doesn't take into account that many people are not aware of what they are eating. They get up in the morning and eat the same breakfast they have for years. They eat at the same place for lunch every day, so they have roughly the same number of calories. They have a few go to meals that they eat for supper. And between meals, they snack on something, but it is similar to what they always snack on. What people eat is a long formed habit. So, when they change their activity level, they will keep eating the same stuff they always have. You don't change habits like that very easily. And since what they eat was working for them before, the change in weight can be said to be due to the change in in activity level, rather than being due to them not changing a habit.

why do you assume they will eat the same amount? when i exercise more I am hungrier and therefore eat more food.

exactly...yesterday was a hard exercise day for me...Deadlifts and a run...I was spent and not hungry at about 1800 gross i think...today...I am starvedddddddddddddd I could chew my arm off...and will eat probably 2200.
  • brianengland
    Options
    Good point!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Timothy - thinking back to times I gained weight, a drop in activity level was definitely a factor. And every time I lost weight, I increased my activity level.

Good luck Brian!