Stronglift 5x5: No Squat Rack? How to Proceed?

Options
MysticRealm
MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I made a post a couple weeks back about only having a smith machine. I don't want to use a smith machine but I am getting close to the max I can do weight wise on squats without a rack. Not on the squats themselves, but on getting the bar up and onto my shoulders.
Once I reach that max what should I do? More reps or more sets? Right now I really don't feel much as far as stiffness/soreness afterwards from my workouts. I'm still able to steadily increase my weights by 5 pounds every workout.

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Buy a squat rack, build a squat rack, join a gym to use their squat rack.

Otherwise, just use the Smith Machine you have access to and get on with it...
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer or bad news, but you must have a squat rack or power rack to do Stronglifts safely. There is no substitute. If you don't have a rack, you'll need to do a different program.
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    I don't have a squat rack and won't have one till I move in sept/Oct.
    Just looking for answers to my question.
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    I am only going to the weight limit that I can do comfortably. THat is why I need suggestions on how to make this program fit until I get a squat rack. I like the program and do not want to fully switch to something else, just modify it till I get a rack.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Until you move I would stay at your current weight or just a bit lighter and just be comfortable with that for now. It is not worth the set back of an injury to try and push further. A squat rack is an absolute necessity! Good ones can be bought for $300 and up. For now just concentrate on your form so once you do have a rack available for use you can just continue your progression from there as if nothing had interrupted it.
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Should I add reps or sets to try to increase difficulty?
    When I move I do plan to get a squat rack or to get a gym membership, but right now my under 600 sq ft apartment will not hold a squat rack, and I need to save money for my downpayment and they have a pretty decent gym in my current building (sans a squat rack) so I can't justify gym membership fees right now.
    I really like the program I just want to modify it till I can get a squat rack.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I understand that you feel the need to do something in order to feel like you are making some kind of gain or improvement. Since you have said that you are getting close to what you feel is your safe max without a rack. I would seriously concentrate of perfecting your form. Once you get access to a rack and start reaching your max you will find that form is much harder to maintain. If you want to use the smith machine to increase the weight until you move, realize that once you are free squatting again you will have to deload or risk injury due to loss of proper form and weakness of the stabilizing muscles. But without the rack keep yourself safe and keep it light as you squat.

Until then have patience that you'll be able to improve on your weight.
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    It's not the squats that are causing me any worry weight wise, I can still easily do all my reps in all my sets without any worrying that I might not be able to do them.
    It's only getting the weight from the ground (not actually from the ground as I put in about thigh high on the bicep curl bench thing) then up and over my head to sit on my shoulders so I CAN squat. So it's only the 'set up' before the squat that is at all at question. Once it's there it's no issue.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It's not ideal, but I would keep doing the light barbell squats at your max weight, and add a 5x5 round of Smith Squats, and keep progressing on the Smith machine. I would also add some free-weight accessory work, like lunges, step-ups, or weighted carries. If you have the equipment, back raises or glute-ham raises would be good, too.

Be extra careful when you get access to your squat rack. Your stabilizers will be weak, so you'll have to start light and progress carefully while your stabilizers catch up.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Front squats?
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Thanks guys. I like the idea of doing regular squats, then adding in some smith rack squats. That way I still get the stabilizing muscles with the regular squats, but can also increase weights with the smith machine. I do realize that once I get a squat rack that I will have to go lighter than I was with the smith machine and work my way back up.
    I'm also getting to the point of needing to use the smith machine for bench press as our benches don't have the arms that hold the bar so I again have to pick the weight up from the ground then lie back with it before doing the bench press and that's starting to get a bit tough. So I may use the same concept of doing some with the bench then doing some in the machine.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I like the idea of doing regular squats, then adding in some smith rack squats. That way I still get the stabilizing muscles with the regular squats, but can also increase weights with the smith machine. I do realize that once I get a squat rack that I will have to go lighter than I was with the smith machine and work my way back up.
    I'm also getting to the point of needing to use the smith machine for bench press as our benches don't have the arms that hold the bar so I again have to pick the weight up from the ground then lie back with it before doing the bench press and that's starting to get a bit tough. So I may use the same concept of doing some with the bench then doing some in the machine.

I would use Dumbbells over the smith machine. If you have to use the smith machine, then so be it, but I would ditch it as soon as you get the chance. It is just inferior to free weights.
  • nickls
    nickls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you want to look like a bodybuilder just increase your reps to something like 10x10. If you are more interested in performance start adding front squats and overhead squats as they demand greater skill. Volume for strength should be something that looks like (3-5)x(3-5). I hope that helps.
  • Nemss
    Nemss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with slatie1 why don't you squat clean it then do front squats. The front squats will give you that added challenge I think your looking for. As with all lifts form is key. Lift smart.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I used DBs when all I had access to was a smith machine. Good alternative. Zercher or Front squats are good too.

Adding reps and sets at the same weight is great, but eventually you'll be doing so many reps that your strength will start to plateau. It's fine for the short term though.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry that much.
    1. Use Smith machine. But add BB/DB Bulgarian Split Squat for stabilizers.
    2. Steinborn lift
    3. Forget the full squat until sept/oct and go for squat alternatives: bulgarian split squat, lunges, leg press
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    1) Learn to power clean (if you can't already).

2) Front squat the weight.

3) Badassery ensures...
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    1) Learn to power clean (if you can't already).

2) Front squat the weight.

3) Badassery ensures...

Front squats a definite! Zercher squats as mentioned. Also try Split Squats!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a break from my main gym LifeTime and decided to pick up the dumbell stopgap program since I won't have access to a squat rack. Only need free weights (which my apartment building and work gym have plenty of) and it's a good way to hold you over until you find the gym that has the resources you need.

Big fan of the Bulgarian split squat. It's definitely giving me a work out.

Workout A
    Bulgarian split squat or Lunge
    Floor press
    Straight-legged deadlift
    Plank
    Workout B
    Bulgarian split squat or Lunge
    Seated shoulder press If you don't have access to a seat, sit on the floor with your legs outstretched (also called a Savickas Press). The latter is actually preferable, but I can't find a good video guide to doing it.
    Standing two-dumbbell bent over row
    Plank
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I will look into/try some of the ideas you have suggested.
    I will also be dropping to 2 days a week of weights and one day of yoga (the strength kind not the relax kind). I went to yoga today after not being there since I started weights and it reminded me that it was good for me. I know I will be more sore tomorrow from yoga than I have been yet from 5x5.