Try again... So here goes again

Options
seza1987
seza1987 Posts: 7 Member
Hi all, so I have used MFP for a few years now on and off, my whole life I have found it VERY easy to gain weight - doesn't help that I started life larger than others - and very difficult to lose weight - any weight water or otherwise. In my teens - and the occasional slip in adulthood - I would try to "help" myself along by not eating - which led to binging and purging - that I sometimes think may be apart of why I find it SOOO hard now - maybe I have messed with my bodies digestive/metabolic system so bad it can't tell up or down - having said that I am yet to find any concrete research to back up or any doctors that touch on the subject, and because I'm overweight, it's all they see: "well stop eating and exercise" - yeah coz I haven't tried that before.
Anyway, I have 3 kids and care for my dad, can get pretty stressful and lead to inactivity and unhealthy choices, so I want to start tracking my eating to remind myself of what I eat and what bad choices I am making.
So over the years my weight has fluctuated somewhat starting at 75kg/165lbs as a teen, got pregnant and put on very little weight and with breastfeeding I lost more weight than I had gained - YAY right - then baby 2 came along and I gained a bit more weight and she was born with a condition requiring many surgeries and I really didn't lose much weight at all - and probably gained living at the hospital with a maccas downstairs. So having 2 kids under 2 I really wasn't all that concerned with myself, then whoops baby number 3 - oh did I gain weight - more than with both other children combined and he was the largest baby - anyway after Bub was 6-8 weeks I started working - for some peace of mind from 3 under 3 - the job was in a warehouse - heaving lifting on feet all day - I thought it would be like getting paid to go to the gym - but my body adapted and I really didn't lose much weight at all, so joined the gym - went down 2-3 dress sizes :-) but life, kids stress and a partner that can eat whatever and whenever without gaining weight and thought I should do the same - obviously not so - so I have yo-yo'd quite a bit over the years, never being able to get within a healthy BMI, so will continue to keep trying until something gives.
nb. Over the years I have joined gyms, tried shakes, tried personal trainers, tried almost any "diet" you can name - including the "not really a diet, just eat healthy" any I have tried prescription weightloss pills -duromine/metermine.
So anyone with ideas I am always happy to hear - although I've probably done it, otherwise just chat with me, keep me motivated and I will try and return the favour.
Also my current plan is to watch what I eat, try to lower my portions and avoid junk and to exercise by using my new max trainer and walking/bike riding with the kids and dog.
Thanks for listening to my very long and drawn out into - look forward to chatting ;-)

Replies

• spielo5491
    spielo5491 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Read a book called "The Metabolic Storm" I was lucky enough to meet the Dr that wrote it and it made me change the way i view things, she's done a lot of research and has a very realistic approach to weight loss and Diabetes treatment. Good luck
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend. You can always shoot things my way and I will do my best to help you get things figured out.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Every time you fail, you are one step closer to success.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options

This. :-)

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Not if you dont learn from it, its meaningless otherwise you could also be one step closer to being run over or quitting.

OP you are where you are just learn how to do the basics properly by reading the stickies and then be consistent.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I did get the impression of either fatalism or making excuses beforehand, You are where you are, its straightforward to lose, but id suggest you make sure you know what you are doing beforehand to avoid repeating past failures. Trying again is not enough, you need to learn from mistakes.
  • seza1987
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Not if you dont learn from it, its meaningless otherwise you could also be one step closer to being run over or quitting.

OP you are where you are just learn how to do the basics properly by reading the stickies and then be consistent.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I did get the impression of either fatalism or making excuses beforehand, You are where you are, its straightforward to lose, but id suggest you make sure you know what you are doing beforehand to avoid repeating past failures. Trying again is not enough, you need to learn from mistakes.

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry you have taken my post that way, I simply laid it out as it is - I have and do struggle losing weight, I have followed a lot of advice from scratch - things that obviously work for others does not work for me.
    It's really upsetting to hear another person taking my issues as "excuses", I really hope there are others on here that share a similar story to me, that can also voice their issues and we can feel some relief in not being put into an "excuse" pile.
    On the other hand I have seen and do see those who do find every excuse under the sun - if that's what you think then you have misinterpreted my words (I am the first to admit I have slipped up and lost sight of my goals and health) - I am not looking for sympathy or whatever else I would gain from "excuses", I am simply looking for support and advice regarding my goals.
  • seza1987
    Options

This. :-)
    Thanks ;-)
  • seza1987
    Options
    Thank you, that's a great point and very positive - just what I am after ;-)

• seza1987
    Options
    spielo5491 wrote: »
    Read a book called "The Metabolic Storm" I was lucky enough to meet the Dr that wrote it and it made me change the way i view things, she's done a lot of research and has a very realistic approach to weight loss and Diabetes treatment. Good luck

Thanks - I am doing a Google search now ;-)
    I should also elaborate or clarify, I have seen mention of conditions relating to metabolism, just have not found and professionals that believe in it - whenever I have mentioned it I have pills or fads thrown at me
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    seza1987 wrote: »
    spielo5491 wrote: »

Thanks - I am doing a Google search now ;-)
    I should also elaborate or clarify, I have seen mention of conditions relating to metabolism, just have not found and professionals that believe in it - whenever I have mentioned it I have pills or fads thrown at me

No pills or fads needed. It's really down to eating specific foods available that create a positive environment for your metabolism - that's really the trick. I have to watch my diet carefully myself. So really it's all about what kind of calorie to eat - not all calories are created equal - each food has a specific macro/micro component to it. It's a matter of making sure you hit the ones that will make your metabolism soar. I am living proof as many others on here and elsewhere are - there's truly a good combination of foods to eat in your situation.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    seza1987 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry you have taken my post that way, I simply laid it out as it is - I have and do struggle losing weight, I have followed a lot of advice from scratch - things that obviously work for others does not work for me.
    It's really upsetting to hear another person taking my issues as "excuses", I really hope there are others on here that share a similar story to me, that can also voice their issues and we can feel some relief in not being put into an "excuse" pile.
    On the other hand I have seen and do see those who do find every excuse under the sun - if that's what you think then you have misinterpreted my words (I am the first to admit I have slipped up and lost sight of my goals and health) - I am not looking for sympathy or whatever else I would gain from "excuses", I am simply looking for support and advice regarding my goals.

This implies you have some strange, should be studied in a lab kind of body situation happening.

Losing weight is hard . . . it's taken me two years to lose (and not gain back any of it) 80lbs. Losing weight means restricting what you eat . . . you can't just eat at maintenance like others who don't want to/need to/have to/whatever lose weight. It takes dedication and commitment, every single day. I struggle all the time . . . struggle when I've been working so hard and the scale only moves a bit or not even at all. Struggle when my family doesn't have the same lifestyle as I do and they always want to go out. Struggle when I would rather sleep in than hit the gym at 5 am. Struggle when all I want to do is have an apple fritter and I just can't fit it into my goals. I struggle all the time . . . it's a part of this journey. And you won't see anything over night. I don't know what other types of "things" would work for others but not for you . . . eat less than you burn, move more than you did previously, chose different foods, eat less of those oh so awesome can't live without foods others deem "bad" . . . whatever it takes to just make your quality of life better while still making progress.

I was 340lbs. I lost quickly at first because my margin of error was huge but as I've lost I have to become a lot more conscious of what I eat.

Maybe your metabolism is a little skewed because of yo-yo and the binge/purge situation but you'll still lose weight by eating less than you burn . . . that's just the science behind it. How much you need to eat, well that's different. Everyone's body is different . . . however I really don't know of any one who can't lose by genuinely eating less than you burn. Having a metabolic condition may slow down your metabolism but that means you have to that much more conscious about what you eat and up your exercise to maybe get a few more calories in.

This might sound harsh but there isn't a magic pill or a doctor who will diagnose you with "whatever disease" and it will be the answer to why you're over the weight you want to be at, and why you just can't lose whatever amount of pounds.

It takes a long time, dedication and commitment . . . and most importantly, a lifestyle change. It's not a 6 month thing and then it's over. It's every single day.