Anyone out there do Callanetics? Not Calisthenics

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
Callanetics was designed by Callan Pinckney who had bad back problems when she was younger, she designed this workout for anyone with back problems, It strengthens deep deep muscles and she only uses 1/2 inch movements. It will really kick your butt. I used to have it on tape the original is from the early 90's I believe but it is the best one to have, it's on dvd now. Callan is older but her body is amazing and she shows the results of her students during the workout video. Anyone else here try it? If so what did you think of it?

Replies

• Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    I havent heard of it or tried it - but can you please give me some more info please, i have back problems.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I havent heard of it or tried it - but can you please give me some more info please, i have back problems.

Google Callan Pinckney Callanetics and it will take you to her page and tell you all about it, I would get her original DVD, the music and outfits are outdated but it does work very well. You can also get her dvd's on amazon.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    I will have to check this out! At 25, I am already enduring cortisone shots in my back for inflammatory issues...THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I will have to check this out! At 25, I am already enduring cortisone shots in my back for inflammatory issues...THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!

Glad to help, I work for a spine institute so I am usually in on those injections.......not fun.
  • jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a dvd on amazon for 18.00. I have a herniated disc and early arthritis in my knee. The reviews are really positive. Thanks for posting this!
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check this out. I was in a car accident with my husband back in '93 when we were dating and my back really hasn't been the same since. I also have an auto immune disorder that attacks the muscles so anything that will strengthen without being too strenuous would be great. Thanks for posting!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Glad you guys could use this it really doesn't seem like you are doing much but I swear it's because it is working deep and you will be sore later. Also she will show alternate ways to do things if you can't do it exactly like the students do. Also give yourselves time it will be more difficult at first but after 2 or 3 sessions you will start to notice you can do more and hold it for longer!! Plus just look at her she looks amazing. My butt lifted up 2 inches after doing this dvd consistently.
  • AmyQwith2
    AmyQwith2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for posting this - it got my interest up and checked it out..just ordered it for my mother who suffers from arthritis - it came up on a lot of websites as being great for arthritis sufferers!!!! she has been wanting to do something and everything we see is too high impact for her joints - this is great!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I forgot about her! I did that years ago when I was a teenager - had a book (no video at that time...lol). It produced AMAZING results! I'm going to have to check into getting the DVD. Very small moves, but powerful! Take your measurements...you will be ecstatic about the loss of inches and the toning that her moves produce.
  • trouserchili
    Options
    This is my first post and I couldn't help myself when i saw this topic. First of all, excuse the username. It's an inside joke with my friends and family.

Anyhoo, I too did Callanetics many moons ago. I'd just like to say that you will feel muscles you didn't even know you had. Sweet mother McCree, was I sore for the first few session! But I stuck with it and gained some strength but mostly incredible flexibility. I didn't notice any weight loss simply because I was in shape at the time (17 yr old high school athlete...now a 40 yr old flabby mess).

I highly recommend it.

*goes off to dig out the vcr tapes again*
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    My mum and I did this together when I was a teen. I have a bad back and was trying to find good exercises for it and remembered Callanetics. I bought the DVD and tried it again today for the first time in at least 15 years - WOW! I could barely hold some of the moves and my body was trembling with the strain. Gonna keep at it though and see what the results are after 10 sessions. As Callan herself said, "If you feel like giving up, just picture that fat jiggling while you walk" haha!
  • KayeRichards
    KayeRichards Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Callanetics really does work! It tightens the body really quickly and you can see it working. I still use the book, love the pics and descriptions. I do it twice a week, the only exercise I do, ( I just know if I have to exercise every day, I would give up, I am sadly lazy :blushing: ) took it up again when I started MFP a month ago and I've already lost cms! Highly recommend people to try it, specially if you have any back or knee problems, it's great. :heart:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I did it as a teenager and loved it (although I was a skinny teen so the effects weren't dramatic - I just felt 'taller', a bit like the feeling from yoga). I recently bought the book and a couple of the DVDs and - oh my God - I could barely do half the moves (I could do them all at 18). V depressing, so I only did them a couple of times and gave up. These posts have been timely - I really should give Callanetics another go.

Also, for those with back problems I can't recommend Pilates enough. I've been plagued with neck and upper back problems and Pilates really helps. Just be sure the class you use explains pulling up your pelvic floor muscles properly. You're supposed to do this with every move but I've been to countless classes where this isn't explained. That's also why many people say Pilates is too easy or has no real effect - if it's easy you're not doing it right!

Speaking of Pilates... can anyone recommend a good DVD? (I'll post this as a topic too, and see what responses I get)
  • I use a combination of Wii fit and Callanetics. I have found that the weight loss I have achieved before joining MFP was 29 pounds. A friend of mine has given me a dvd - Beginning Callanetics for my birthday last year, and I would use it before starting wii fit or after seeing how much more my body was relaxed before or after. I went on to purchase l0 years in 10 hours, Cardio-Callenetics, and Callenetics Evoulotion. I am borrowing couple books based upon Callanetics theory from the library. Since the dvds are not cc I am able to understand the exercises from the dvds and find out the harder ones as well.
  • meee398
    meee398 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've done Callanetics a couple of times and was very impressed by the results I got in very few sessions. The only problem is it takes a lot of time for me per session and I tend to get bored easily with doing the same things over and over again. Now I only do it about once a week if I have time and do bodyrock and yoga the rest of the week.
  • If you can find a book by Callan Pinckney The Callenetics Countdown, you can find a section where she talks about the 15 minute routine. I have found it helps me sometimes when I don't want to a long time of exercising. Maybe watching the short flicks on youtube could be of a help to you?
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is(was) a studio near my house and I practiced there for about 2 years in the mid-2000s. It was a good workout and I did see some results. But I got distracted my training for triathlons couldn't find the time to integrate the callenetics workouts in to my other training.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have any idea how to post callanetics on mfp exercise? It been the exercise that consistently works best for me, when I was in my 20s and now ia couple of decades later :). I just have no idea how many calories I'm using when I do them. Thanks x. I'll also consult my friend google for clues!
  • Showcats
    Options
    Callanetics sounds very interesting. I did a Google search and there were lots of good reviews. Has anyone tried the newer one - Callanetics Evolution?
  • I tried the CardioCallanetics and the Callanetics Evolution. It was ok. I like the old styles better. I managed to get callanetics added for exercises, use what you would get for pilates and put in that amount.