Crock pots...

Options
NenaM812
NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
Is anyone else TERRIFIED to leave a crock pot on when they're not home? I have found so many easy crock pot recipes that sound sooo good, but I'm afraid to leave it on for 5-10 hours because I don't want to start a fire (my biggest fear). I have two dogs and a cat who I absolutely adore and I'd have to be committed if anything happened to them! I'm a little dramatic lol.

I'd like to add all the ingredients during lunch time so when I leave after lunch and come home from work at 5, dinner could be ready, and then I'd have more time to work out. I remember a few occasions when my mom would leave the crock pot or the roaster on for a few hours during the day when no one was home, and it made me nervous then. Now that I have my own home and pets, it's only amplified a billion times! Can someone talk some sense into me lol

Replies

• MrsB0701
    MrsB0701 Posts: 11
    Options
    I use my crockpot quite a bit and always leave it on during the day when I'm at work.
  • JanaGentry
    JanaGentry Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I leave mine on all the time......never had a problem :) Go for it! :smile:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    They have been around for YEARS and they are still SO very popular, there is no Horrific stories about houses burning down. Unless someone was a moron and did something stupid with it.

I have used mine multiple times, and we used them growing up ALL THE TIME!

You have nothing to be worried about.

Leave it on low and don't stress.
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    Just make sure your Crock pot is in good working order, then turn it on and forget it. This what they were made for and they work great.
  • trish858
    trish858 Posts: 9
    Options
    Turn it on in the morning when you leave so it is on low all day and not on high for just a few hours. I use mine all the time with a full time job and 3 kids I don't have time to cook everyday, so the crockpot is a life saver;)
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I put a whole chicken in my crockpot this morning before I headed out to work. I do this often. I don't see it being a problem. I cook mine on low. When I get home around 5:30 I will make some sides and dinner will be served.
  • mrsfeuer
    mrsfeuer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I leave mine on too.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've left it on all day while gone and also have done it overnight. My parents have also used them for years without problems. Nothing like coming home to a nice, hot dinner already prepared.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, NenaM812. I'm so scared to leave mine on! I know that nothing will happen, that my crockpot is in good working order and all that, but the thought of coming home to a burned down house somehow just terrifies me. I think our fear is slightly irrational and we would be okay to leave the crockpot on low...I'll try it if you will! :wink:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    crockpots are fine to leave on. It's tumbledryers that will burn your house down......
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I leave mine ALL the time! and LOVE it the worst that has ever happened it that it dried up (didn't put enough sauce in/heat too high) but it still tasted great.

I would shut your door to your kitchen so no animals can get in there and tug on any wires and you should be fine!! :-) ENJOY

@girlinahat i leave my dryer on all the time and it's fine! (it is in my garage though) the maximum time it can be on in one time is 2 hours so i suppose that's the safty feature?