My goal is to get into the military, but I've been trying to get off my blood pressure meds.

Options
I currently weigh myself today being at 169lbs. and I've been trying to get into the military this year. Particularly, the Navy, or the Army. The problem that is holding me back is the fact that I've been taking this blood pressure medication called, "Hydrochlorothiazide". Commonly known as "Microzide" or a "water pill." My cholesterol is good, but it's just that I need to get off of my blood pressure medications before I enlist into the military this year.

The purpose of me getting into the military is so that I can go back into college and get my Bachelor's degree and get the Hell out of my parents' house. And my stepfather has been asking me if I have an induction date for when I leave for Basic Military Training, but, everytime I try to talk to a military recruiter, it's always that damn high blood pressure issue that's holding me back.

What should I do? Because I really don't need to be taking blood pressure medications, I'm already exercising everyday, and I'm too damn young to be taking them.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor

If doctor says you can come off it as your BP issues are resolved due to weightloss then that's ok

If not then unfortunately you'll not be medically fit for service and will have to find an alternative plan

High BP is nothing to trifle with
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight, your blood pressure will probably go down.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Doctor.

(Sorry to ask, because I'm sure you've turned it over a million times and are obviously going to lengths to reach your goal, which is an amazing goal, but is there no other way to get funding for college - student loans, anything? I'm not from the US, sorry.)
  • xgray213
    xgray213 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go see your doctor

If doctor says you can come off it as your BP issues are resolved due to weightloss then that's ok

If not then unfortunately you'll not be medically fit for service and will have to find an alternative plan

But that's the thing....I don't even have an alternative plan. Because my parents are saying that if I don't get into the military, they're gonna kick me out of the house and I won't have anywhere else to go.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I'm sure we don't have the whole story, but your parents sound like d!cks.
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You need to see a dr who will determine if you can and should come off your medications. This forum will not help you in this determination. You say you don't need to be on them, but you also should not make that determination. Only a dr should.
  • xgray213
    Options
    Rabbit914 wrote: »
    You need to see a dr who will determine if you can and should come off your medications. This forum will not help you in this determination. You say you don't need to be on them, but you also should not make that determination. Only a dr should.

Thanks.
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    xgray213 wrote: »
    Rabbit914 wrote: »

Thanks.

Good luck to you and the goals you have. Stay focused and do this the safe way. A free college education and getting out of your parents' house is not worth what could happen to your health by coming off meds that you may in fact need need.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go see your doctor

But that's the thing....I don't even have an alternative plan. Because my parents are saying that if I don't get into the military, they're gonna kick me out of the house and I won't have anywhere else to go.

With this and previous medical issues that you have said may prevent you from getting into the military, I would highly suggest that you start working on an alternative plan.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There are always alternative plans: get a job, save some money, take some college classes on line to get the basics out of the way, community college, student loans, Pell grants, the Peace Corps. I'm pretty sure we don't know the whole story. At 28, the OP should be out on his own.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor but in the mean time look into student loans you don't day what country your from but most countries have them
  • xgray213
    Options
    There are always alternative plans: get a job, save some money, take some college classes on line to get the basics out of the way, community college, student loans, Pell grants, the Peace Corps. I'm pretty sure we don't know the whole story. At 28, the OP should be out on his own.

Thank you.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Honey, as a parent I want to give you a hug & a shove. A hug because your parents seem to be insensitive, and a shove because you need a push to get a plan together and get out of your parents' house and kick off your own life.

Please do not go off your BP meds without the approval of your doctor.

FYI: The best value in education is taking two years in community college, earning an associate degree, and then transferring into a bachelor's program in a state school. You can do the first two years with little to no loans if you work part-time. Then, apply for a student loan for the two years of credits you need to complete your bachelor's degree.

Source: A mom who also works in higher education.
  • xgray213
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Honey, as a parent I want to give you a hug & a shove. A hug because your parents seem to be insensitive, and a shove because you need a push to get a plan together and get out of your parents' house and kick off your own life.

Please do not go off your BP meds without the approval of your doctor.

FYI: The best value in education is taking two years in community college, earning as associate degree, and then transferring into a bachelor's program in a state school. You can do the first two years with little to no loans if you work part-time. Then, apply for a student loan for the two years of credits you need to complete your bachelor's degree.

Source: A mom who also works in higher education.
    Well, I did get my Associate's degree, but I just blew my chance of graduating with a Bachelor's degree by getting academically dismissed from a four-year university. That is why I need to talk to my doctor and tell him about my situation.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ....I don't even have an alternative plan. Because my parents are saying that if I don't get into the military, they're gonna kick me out of the house and I won't have anywhere else to go.
    Well, I did get my Associate's degree, but I just blew my chance of graduating with a Bachelor's degree by getting academically dismissed from a four-year university. That is why I need to talk to my doctor and tell him about my situation.

You need to see a doctor about the medical issue.

As to the parental issue, you are 28 years old, it is time to get off your duff and support yourself. By the time I hit 28 I had a wife, two children and had been supporting the whole bunch for 8 years already.

The military will be much less understanding and tolerant than your parents. You may want to reconsider whether you and the military would be a good fit.

I'm liable to get flagged but I'm not being mean. I'm calling it as I see it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ....I don't even have an alternative plan. Because my parents are saying that if I don't get into the military, they're gonna kick me out of the house and I won't have anywhere else to go.

As to the parental issue, you are 28 years old, it is time to get off your duff and support yourself. By the time I hit 28 I had a wife, two children and had been supporting the whole bunch for 8 years already.

The military will be much less understanding and tolerant than your parents. You may want to reconsider whether you and the military would be a good fit.

I agree

Find a different route
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

This veteran agrees.
  • KF500T
    KF500T Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    At 168 pounds, it doesn't seem like you're really all that heavy enough to be taking medications like that. If you're eating well, working out, and staying healthy, then I don't see why a doc wouldn't take you off this medication. BUT, I'm not a doctor and I don't know your medical history.

As someone in the service, I do know that if you ever need to be put on these medications again, it will hurt your chances of staying in longterm. They will not mobilize you if you have these medical issues. The military can be an amazing way to motivate you to stay fit. One of my friends lost 150 pounds because his dream was to join the service. I think you should try to do it--I half agree with what was said above, that the military might not be a good fit for someone in your situation. It might be the very thing you need to get your feet on the ground.