Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Suggestions for binging???

2»

Replies

• Bleahigh
    Bleahigh Posts: 15 Member
    I
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I stopped eating sweets completely because when I tried to have a little, it caused massive cravings and I binged. I just don't buy them at all now, don't keep any in the house. The cravings were tough for a week or two, but then they went away completely.

I know a lot of people on this board say when you "deprive" yourself, you end up binging. But it is not like that for everybody. It is the exact opposite for me. "Treating" myself is what causes the binging. "Moderation" leads to binging. I stopped added sugar completely...and no binging.

Try moderation. If it works for you, great. If not, give it up completely.

This is my same problem as well. When I've lost weight successfully in the past its been from cutting it out almost completely with the exception of a cheat day (which I know a lot of people hate). The problem now is that I'm trying to do the same thing and I'm finding the cheat day just makes things worse and then its 10x harder to get back on track. So I'm thinking it's time to cut it completely.

I do want to give the "moderation" thing I good shot before I do that. If I can learn enough self control to do this without cutting out all of the foods I love I think that will make me much more successful.

I totally agree! I would love to learn the self control and not have to completely eliminate it but I think right now until I get back on track- that may be the best option!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Bleahigh wrote: »
    That is exactly how I am! I eat a little and I eat the whole thing! Even after a week or two of clean eating- I still have the addiction once it is in my mouth. I guess I just need to learn what works for me.. And what i can substitute for to help the cravings-like a protein bar. I want to try that to see if it helps that sweet tooth I get-and also gives me the protein I lack. It will be hard but I need to not have it in my house- no matter what, even if I get the craving..

Not having it at home really works for me...I lost 101 pounds and am now a healthy weight (though want to lose a few more). On rare occasions (like every couple of months!) if I am OUT...at a restaurant or at someone else's home...I will have dessert. That way, I only have one serving, and by the time I get back home hours later the effect of the sugar on my blood sugar has worn off and I don't have the craving issues.

For me, the things that caused the cravings are sugar and, to a lesser extent, bread and wheat in general.

Btw, the one "sweet" thing I do have at home is dark chocolate...I am talking minimum 70% or 80% cacao dark chocolate. This actually has very little sugar, so I can manage to eat a couple of little squares of that without eating the entire supply. You can give that a try. If you like it, it may help satisfy that desire for a little something sweet.

Whichever way you decide to go...moderation or just not eating it at all...good luck. You just need to experiment and find what works best for you.

• Bleahigh
    That is exactly how I am! I eat a little and I eat the whole thing! Even after a week or two of clean eating- I still have the addiction once it is in my mouth. I guess I just need to learn what works for me.. And what i can substitute for to help the cravings-like a protein bar. I want to try that to see if it helps that sweet tooth I get-and also gives me the protein I lack. It will be hard but I need to not have it in my house- no matter what, even if I get the craving..

Not having it at home really works for me...I lost 101 pounds and am now a healthy weight (though want to lose a few more). On rare occasions (like every couple of months!) if I am OUT...at a restaurant or at someone else's home...I will have dessert. That way, I only have one serving, and by the time I get back home hours later the effect of the sugar on my blood sugar has worn off and I don't have the craving issues.

For me, the things that caused the cravings are sugar and, to a lesser extent, bread and wheat in general.

Btw, the one "sweet" thing I do have at home is dark chocolate...I am talking minimum 70% or 80% cacao dark chocolate. This actually has very little sugar, so I can manage to eat a couple of little squares of that without eating the entire supply. You can give that a try. If you like it, it may help satisfy that desire for a little something sweet.

Whichever way you decide to go...moderation or just not eating it at all...good luck. You just need to experiment and find what works best for you.

I will have to try the dark chocolate thing! I love dark chocolate and it is bitter enough that you don't need so much of it. I need to kick these cravings to the side and get my butt into gear!!! Thank you for the advice- it is so helpful. And definitely not having it at home helps me so much!!! I kill myself when I buy stuff at the store and wish I wouldn't have. Self control though. I really need to learn it..
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Personally, to keep myself satisfied and to resist binging, I start my mornings with coffee and coconut oil, and that usually holds me over until 12-1 o'clock. This means I have extra room at the end of my day to have bigger meals, and feel more full then. Also, as a first meal when I get home is very high in protein and fibre (like chicken breast with some veg). Usually this will keep me full until dinner
    But again, everyone is different and has to find what works for them. So keep going with trail and error, and we'll all be here to support you!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Hi there! So I have been logging my food for about a week now.. I am pretty new to learning about what food and how much food my body needs. I will do great for a few days and then I tend to binge on a day when I am feeling weakness in some way. I am really struggling with sugar cravings and this dang binging!! Any suggestions on not binging?? I want to make eating healthy a lifestyle but everytime I start feeling good, I mess it up and feel so crappy for days after binging (which you would think would make me not want to binge)... Anyone been through this and have any help suggestions??? Please!

What does "doing great" mean for you?
  • Bleahigh
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Hi there! So I have been logging my food for about a week now.. I am pretty new to learning about what food and how much food my body needs. I will do great for a few days and then I tend to binge on a day when I am feeling weakness in some way. I am really struggling with sugar cravings and this dang binging!! Any suggestions on not binging?? I want to make eating healthy a lifestyle but everytime I start feeling good, I mess it up and feel so crappy for days after binging (which you would think would make me not want to binge)... Anyone been through this and have any help suggestions??? Please!

To me doing great is by eating chicken, veggies, fish, rice, limiting processed foods and trying to cook at home - not much carbs-trying to up my protein. Also doing great to me means not eating fast food (haven't in about 2 weeks) and limiting sugar intake.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    DirrtyH wrote: »

To me doing great is by eating chicken, veggies, fish, rice, limiting processed foods and trying to cook at home - not much carbs-trying to up my protein. Also doing great to me means not eating fast food (haven't in about 2 weeks) and limiting sugar intake.

Sounds good to me. I try to do the exact same.

• Bleahigh
    Personally, to keep myself satisfied and to resist binging, I start my mornings with coffee and coconut oil, and that usually holds me over until 12-1 o'clock. This means I have extra room at the end of my day to have bigger meals, and feel more full then. Also, as a first meal when I get home is very high in protein and fibre (like chicken breast with some veg). Usually this will keep me full until dinner
    But again, everyone is different and has to find what works for them. So keep going with trail and error, and we'll all be here to support you!

Yeah see I am not much of a big breakfast person-we usually have larger dinners! Yeah trial is error is what I am learning now and will continue to learn. I am new to this . My first goal was to cut out fast food which I have for about 2 weeks and it feels great. But now I am trying to focus more on the actual foods I am eating and learning about macros, etc. I need a routine and a regular eating schedule that fits me!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Maybe you could try to have a little something for breakfast and a slightly smaller dinner and see if that helps. If it does, you can alter the portions at each meal until you feel more satisfied throughout the day.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    I stopped eating sweets completely because when I tried to have a little, it caused massive cravings and I binged. I just don't buy them at all now, don't keep any in the house. The cravings were tough for a week or two, but then they went away completely.

I know a lot of people on this board say when you "deprive" yourself, you end up binging. But it is not like that for everybody. It is the exact opposite for me. "Treating" myself is what causes the binging. "Moderation" leads to binging. I stopped added sugar completely...and no binging.

Try moderation. If it works for you, great. If not, give it up completely.

This is my same problem as well. When I've lost weight successfully in the past its been from cutting it out almost completely with the exception of a cheat day (which I know a lot of people hate). The problem now is that I'm trying to do the same thing and I'm finding the cheat day just makes things worse and then its 10x harder to get back on track. So I'm thinking it's time to cut it completely.

I do want to give the "moderation" thing I good shot before I do that. If I can learn enough self control to do this without cutting out all of the foods I love I think that will make me much more successful.

I hope it works for you. You could try cutting it out completely for a short time and then reintroducing small amounts...I have seen a few people here say that worked for them. It didn't for me in the past and I am now unwilling to go there again, but we are all different.

In general, I would think a very small amount every day or a few times a week might work better than an entire day of anything goes...but others love their cheat day.
  • Bleahigh
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    Maybe you could try to have a little something for breakfast and a slightly smaller dinner and see if that helps. If it does, you can alter the portions at each meal until you feel more satisfied throughout the day.

That is exactly what I am going to try and do! I have been trying to have more than an apple for breakfast so that my dinner can be smaller to help my portions. That is a great suggestion though! I am trying to make it a goal to eat more in the morning and less before bed.