Please read need help and advice. Should I lose weight to get ripped or should I continue to build

Options
to build muscle before I get ripped. Because I have lagging body parts. So I'm thinking instead of cutting putting on more muscle and then in a year or two cut so all the muscle can show.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bulk
  • Fitlifestyle4life
    Fitlifestyle4life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You think? I want the abs tho. I want me to pop
  • d1664256
    d1664256 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try cutting first, to prove that you can actually do it. Many can build, but few can cut. Lots of dudes walking around with amazing arms and a beer gut.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If you cut the abs you do have should show through. Then you can see what you really have to work with and then decide if you want/need to bulk.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Why not cut through the summer (I'm guessing when you'd be out and about with your shirt off more?) and then start bulking after that?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Why not cut through the summer (I'm guessing when you'd be out and about with your shirt off more?) and then start bulking after that?

This. Also, there is evidence that having lower body fat during a bulk increases protein synthesis due to increased insulin sensitivity. Also lower free testosterone when you're over weight. So being in the 10-12% BF range at the start of your bulk will give you better results. Cut first, bulk after.
  • Fitlifestyle4life
    Fitlifestyle4life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nice. Thanks guys. I'm trying to cut and then ima bulk in winter
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    d1664256 wrote: »
    Try cutting first, to prove that you can actually do it. Many can build, but few can cut. Lots of dudes walking around with amazing arms and a beer gut.

I've been going to the same gym for three years, and there are quite a few men there who have bulk, but have a lot of fat covering their bulk. They've been there at least as long as I have, and have shown no visual progress. Maybe they're happy just being strong and bulky, but I also wonder if they realize they need to cut a lot to show off their muscles.
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    How do you bulk then rip or reverse