Weight lifting for women

Options
I am 61 years old, 5'7 and weigh 220 pounds. I also have bad knees. Will I be able to do this? I have hand weights at home and wonder if those would do until I get the hang of it. I don't want to go and buy something and waste my money if it isn't going to work for me. So I am just asking.

Replies

• MissShannonFit
    MissShannonFit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You absolutely will be able to do this! Mind you, you wouldn't be lifting heavy.. but it's definitely an effective form of exercise. I train my father (in his late 60's) who has had shoulder surgery, and he is still able to lift.. just not anything too heavy and I usually need to customize his routines so he can preform them without any discomfort. I think it's worth looking into if it's something you'd be interested in doing.
  • jessonsangels
    jessonsangels Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You should definitely train with weights, what you need to do is get yourself some really good guidance. I have suffered from arthritis in multiple joints and always thought weights would never make a difference to my shape. I invested in a personal trainer, and she has changed my life, I am lifting heavy weights and feel stronger than 20 yrs ago.
    Don't let age hold you back and invest in a really good trainer
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    tobybears8 wrote: »
    I am 61 years old, 5'7 and weigh 220 pounds. I also have bad knees. Will I be able to do this? I have hand weights at home and wonder if those would do until I get the hang of it. I don't want to go and buy something and waste my money if it isn't going to work for me. So I am just asking.

Use the dumbells here is a dumbells only workout that can be done at home, from the Eat, Train, Progress group moderator Sara

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569 using dumbells only no bar.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The great thing about weights is you can work at your own pace. Remember to lift heavy enough to still challenge your muscles and you absolutely CAN do this!