Eating to feel better

Options
An article I read recently said that to feel better one should eat 3-4 hours after a meal and 1-2 hours after a snack. For me, that works out to be at 5am, 9am, 11am, 3pm, 5pm, and 8pm. Thoughts?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I once read an article that blood-letting was healthy and beneficial.

I consider both articles equally relevant.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat that often. I eat at 7:30a, 12:30p, 5:45p, and 8p.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    stupid
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Today, we call that blood donation, and it is still considered healthy and beneficial.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Today, we call that blood donation, and it is still considered healthy and beneficial.

Um..no. That's something entirely different.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Feel better from what? I feel great eating twice a day, but there are times in my life (usually at heavier weights) where I feel better eating many times a day. In general, I think that information is too vague to be useful.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't eat that many times a day because I'd basically be nibbling and wouldn't be satisfied with any one meal. It might work if you have a higher caloric need, but I'm doing 1200 and there's no way I could stay within that eating that many times a day.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    This needs more context. Feel better compared to what? Where was the article from?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For me, I haven't been having a morning or afternoon snack because it doesn't fit well within my calorie goals. I could see adding those back in once I switch to maintenance, since my breakfast is unlikely to change and my dinner is usually a few calories over 500 and I have little control over that, since someone else fixes it.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends on individual needs. My wife is very thin and likes to eat smaller "meals" every couple of hours, or else she feels a little dizzy. I'm totally fine not eating a traditional breakfast after waking, and can usually make it to lunch before breaking the fast (but sometimes I do have a small snack around 10:00 am). Then I usually don't eat again until dinner between 6 and 7, and will have another snack about 9-10. I'd rather get most of my calories packed in during lunch and dinner. I don't think I could purposely change my eating habits to eat more meals with smaller calories, because I don't feel hunger between meals and wouldn't want to force it, and if I did, the smaller calorie intake me make me feel unsatisfied.

I've read some people on here who eat their entire day's worth of calories in one meal. I have done that in the past when I was a poor college student, and it was definitely doable without making me feel bad.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it would work for some, and not for others. Applying it to everyone (as it sounds like the article did) seems kinda silly since meal timing is a preference thing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    This needs more context. Feel better compared to what? Where was the article from?

There is no article or the OP would of put it on here. He is just trying to push his ways to not weigh foods.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    In order to eat six times a day I'd have to be focused on food for the entire day. I'd also have to eat such small meals I'd never feel full and satisfied. That sort of always-eating diet is an absolute disaster for calorie control for me (food obsessed and six opportunities to overeat).

I know there are people who enjoy this sort of eating pattern but I'm much happier -- and healthier -- waiting until I'm actually hungry and then eating until I'm full. Which works out to be two or three times a day. Food tastes better when you're hungry too which is a nice bonus. :smile:
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My two cents. That's pretty much how I eat. My times are 7, 10, 11:30, 2, 5:30 and 8. I feel better eating lighter and more often. I was on vacation at my BF's parents house this weekend and was pretty much forced to eat 3 heavy meals (when they were made and everyone else was eating) and now I feel like crap. Bloated, heavy..etc. I'm not sure how much science is behind it, but it works for me.

I'm getting back on normal schedule tomorrow and I'm assuming by Sunday I should be feeling like me again. Reduced calories or not this way of eating makes me feel the best.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I too feel better eating frequent small meals and smaller snacks, but I realize this is not for everyone.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm an intermittent faster with a small eating window (6 hours). I eat at noon, 2:00, 4:00 and 6:00. Right now, for me, this works very well.

In the future, it might change.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I tried that and I was fine with it for a while. Then I started having issues where I never felt full after my meals because I was tying 700-800 calories up in snacks. I moved my breakfast back until 10am (~250 calories), lunch at 11:30 (~750 calories) and that leaves 1000 calories for dinner and after dinner snack if I need one to fill in macro gaps.

Moving breakfast back was the best change out of everything. I was eating around 5am and I would need a snack around 9 to feel like I could make it until 11:30. I still drink about 21-32 ounces of black coffee in the morning and that ties me over until 10am.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options

QFT

You can find articles that say pretty much anything you want (found one that said the light from stars at night gives you cancer... apparently you really should wear your sunglasses at night!)
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like three large satisfying meals a day.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i eat six times a day. 3 meals of about 400 cals and 3 snacks of 100-200 calories. this works for me as i never get hungry. to each they're own and whatever floats ur boat. there is no right or wrong way if it's working for u