Stronglifts 5x5 with C25K

Options
I was wondering if doing both of these programs at the same time is a smart idea. I was thinking of doing C25K in the mornings before work because I prefer morning running and doing SL5x5 in the afternoons on MWF. Not sure if it is smart to do them on the same day or should I alternate days and give myself a day off?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I tried it, but it didn't work for me. I would alternate days. I lifted MWF and then C25K T,TH,Sat. I felt like I ran myself into the ground esp when I was getting into weeks 6-7 of C25K. (no pun intended) I'm sure it's doable, but I would really listen to your body and get proper rest.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You can, but as you progress with both you will need longer recovery time from both.

I did this last year. I burned out in a month.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but it can take some time to adjust. When I started SL 5x5, I was already well into running (capable of running 5+ miles at a time). Now that I'm well into both, I still run 15+ miles a week and still manage to get in 3 SL workouts each week.

It takes some figuring out on your own to find what works best timing wise. You may find that you can only lift 2 days a week instead of 3 or only run 2 days a week instead or 3-4.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it if you are new to lifting. Lifting is very taxing on the body.

Even after 2 years of lifting I start C25k this summer and as luck would have it I needed to alter my running schedule where I had to run yesterday...and DL...I was so spent I almost felt ill.

Typically I run on Monday/Thurs/Sat...OHP day, BP day, no lifting day...

If you choose to do both at the same time do your lifts first...you will get more out of it that way.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I run and do Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. I only run 2-3 days a week and only on days I don't lift.
  • MRivera422
    MRivera422 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think I am going to vary my days since lifting in the morning is not an option for me. I dont want a morning run to get in the way of my lifting progress.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I run about 3x a week and do Stronglifts 3x a week, sometimes on the same day. Typically I run on my lunch break, and lift later after dinner. As long as I'm eating enough carbs, I am fine doing both.