New to elliptical machine

Options
I started using an elliptical machine today. This is the first time I've ever used one so I'm not used to it yet. Is it better for me to push through and do a long workout at once or is it ok if I do 3 or 4 five min. sessions? After 5 mins I'm sweating and my heart rate is up, I'm just curious if just doing 5 min sessions is going to help me any.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You're just starting with a new machine, and it's going to use different muscle groups. If you overdo it to start, you'll strain or injure yourself, and then won't be able to exercise while you're healing. Start with 5 minute sessions for the first week. The next week 10 minutes. By the end of the 2nd week, if you're up to it, try pushing for 15 minutes. Go from there. It's okay to push yourself a LITTLE, but no injuries! Baby steps will build up your strength and endurance.

Also, I'm not sure how long you do cardio during your workouts. If you're doing 30 minute cardio sessions, fill in the remaining 25 mins on the treadmill or bike (or whatever method you're using).
  • tanyizzle
    tanyizzle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. what I normally do is break it up and do it twice a day. I used to do 40 minutes once a day, but then I started doing 15-20 minutes twice a day and actually started losing more weight.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I find that anything is better than nothing. Do not hurt yourself is the key!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea!!!! - I meant to reply to the breaking up of excercising sessions - sorry. If you try to get on the eliptical at different times - 5 min here, 5 min there, you'll build up your strength pretty fast.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you want your heart rate up and staying up to burn the most calories. But, you have to pay attention to your body too. So, if 5min is all you feel you can handle oday, do that. Then 7 the next and so on. Youll build up quick!
  • burnguru25
    burnguru25 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am an elliptical junky! I absolutely love what this piece of equipment can do in the beginning...

Simply put, start slow and easy like the other posts have stated. You need to build up your endurance gradually and learn how to use your machine to its upmost potential. Perhaps do multiple "workouts" per day to lessen the exhaustion you may feel at the beginning...

Good luck and I wish you the very best!
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A calorie burnt is a calorie burnt, no matter how short your exercise sessions are.

You should push yourself without injuring yourself. That said, you should push for 10-15 minute sessions at first. Don't even worry about doing multiple sessions. Just get through the 10-15 minutes straight of working out. The next day, do the same thing. This time, if you feel good enough, try to go for another session. This is how I worked to increment my exercise time on the elliptical.

I started 10 minutes a day for 2 days, 20 minutes a day for 2 days, then 30 minutes a day (I'm staying on 30 minutes a day for another week, then going for 45, and then 60).

Of course, this is the speed that I felt comfortable at. You know your body's limit, but don't underestimate it.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I got killed by that machine when I first started. I built up in 5 min incraments weekly....
    So 5 min this week next 10 :)
  • SpencerKMom
    Options
    When I started on the elliptical, I could barely make it 5 minutes before my legs felt like jello. I made it my goal to increase by one minute each time until I was finally able to do a full 40 minutes. Hang in there, you can do it!
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    Congratulations on the trying new things. I know that I have benefitted from the elliptical myself as I get an upper and lower body workout and I might be kidding myself but think that it cuts my workout time down...more bang for my buck shall we say.
    Havign said that, I think as the others have said as well, do shorter periods at lower resistance. You don't want to over work your heart as that is sometimes worse than not working out at all. It can cause damage to you because you are forcing your heart to pump so much it strains it.
    My outlook is...I am DOING something...I am SHOWING up in my life and I am CHOOSING better things.
    I am not meaning to go all cheerleader on you but celebrate all those better choices you are making...so you go on the elliptical for 5 minutes 5 times...you did it! Be proud of yourself, because I am!
  • gfarhamand
    gfarhamand Posts: 5
    Options
    Good for you. Keep it up. Don't get discouraged. I have just started to work out little by little and it's so worth it.
  • lizbeth436
    lizbeth436 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I've already done 2 five min sessions this morning. I have a weak ankle that I am trying to build back up. After being on for about 2 mins I was ready to stop but I kept going until I got to 5. I think, since today is only Monday, I'll do 3-4 five min sessions this week and next week I'll try to bump it to 10 min sessions.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    personally, i do my weight training first and then use the elliptical for around a half hour all at once with varying intensity.
    i've heard some people doing 5-10 minute intervals of cardio and strength training, so maybe if you want to get some strength training in you can do it during your breaks?
  • lizbeth436
    Options
    I never thought about doing that. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the advice.
  • lizbeth436
    Options
    After completing my first day on the elliptical machine, I am wore out. I hope it gets easier soon
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It will get easier!!! Good for you for staying for 5 when you wanted to get off at 2!
  • ElizabethSami
    Options
    omg i had the same problem and thought it was only me....when i first started i could barley make it to 5 minutes but now iam on it for about 20-30minutes no problem. i also do it for 10m and then go on the treadmill for another 10 and then the bike for 10 and do it all over again, i've seen that i burn more calories doing it that way then being on one machine for 20-30 minutes staright.\

Good luck and you are doing great...just take it one day at a time.