Fed Up Documentary

Options
tsawrie
tsawrie Posts: 34 Member
Has anyone seen the documentary "Fed Up" that discusses the impact of sugar on American's obesity issues?

If so, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I watched it, and thought it was ok. I think issues are going to arise with their claim that weight loss isn't a simple function of calories in vs calories out.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    On this website, if there is no acceptable proof, the person who posts get a lot of criticism ..however i'm pulling up my big girl pants to say "sugar should be consumed very sparingly ". Limit fruit to 2 or 3 servings per day--Diabetics and prediabetics probably have different requirements.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Thanks! Loved the article!

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There are about 100 threads on this.

I don't care that you started a new one, but if you want opinions they are easily available.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've read enough on MFP about it that I don't need to watch it. I actually had it saved for later, but I can probably delete that now.

All I know is I eat plenty of "evil" foods and am losing weight just fine and don't get insane sugar cravings that cause me to lose self-control.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There's not an obesity problem because there's sugar in tomato sauce.

Any attempt to explain a complex, multi-faceted problem with a single, simplistic answer is inherently flawed.

Based on that reasoning alone, I don't even need to watch it to know that it's not worth my time to watch.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I had a real problem with the "science" of it....they said in the 80s they took the fat out of food to lower the calories (low fat diet craze) and as a result they pumped in the sugar....I remember seeing labels "half the fat lower calories!!!!"

How is this possible? Ok according to Fed Up they skimmed the fat and pumped in the sugar.....wouldnt that caused the calorie content to sky rocket????

I dont understand the science??

I buy low fat yogurts and salad dressing specifically to SAVE calories not to avaoid fats???? And I find they are lower in sugar??

Alot of the science in the documentary is off and I find it is Anti-sugar propagandist looking to blame big industry for obesity.

Probably sponsored by insurance companies or something who knows?!

1g fat = 9 calories
    1g carb = 4 calories

Remove 10g of fat, replace it with 20g of carb, you're still 10 calories lower than where you started. All they have to do is remove 2 or 3 calories, and they can advertise it as "lower calories with less fat"

The documentary is a joke, but then, Couric should be a clue from the start. It takes a little bit of real science, leaves out 90% of what matters, and expands 10% of it into being the entire problem. Added bonus, it gives parents a free pass for being too lazy to use the word "no." The world already had enough ignorant people who don't know that sugar and carbs are essentially the same thing. It didn't need a Michael Moore-esque documentary to create more of them.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Whenever I watch a documentary like that....I look for what their bias is and where it is evident. I also usually have google open while watching so I can google the "stats" they are giving and check what it really says and where it came from.

While I don't like that a lot of food is so much more processed than it used to be and sugar is added to things that I think it has no business being in...I don't think it's the cause of obesity. Just like parents sending cupcakes in to school on their birthday doesn't cause childhood obesity.

If I got anything from that documentary...it is a reminder to always look at the list of ingredients before even considering putting it in your cart. However, I knew that before I plunked down to watch this.

Nice post. Although (just because it's a pet peeve) I find the tomato sauce example particularly odd since, although I don't add it myself and never have, it's a pretty traditional ingredient to add to cut the acidity. What bothers me most about that one is just how misleading the numbers are, though--my own homemade sugarless sauce has, well, 7 grams of sugar per serving, because of the tomatoes and veggies.

I'm actually going to force myself to watch it just because it comes up so incessantly. But first I started Forks Over Knives which so far is exactly what I expected (and I can't help but argue along while watching it which annoys everyone so my choice to watch it alone was the right one!), ;-)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Whenever I watch a documentary like that....I look for what their bias is and where it is evident. I also usually have google open while watching so I can google the "stats" they are giving and check what it really says and where it came from.

While I don't like that a lot of food is so much more processed than it used to be and sugar is added to things that I think it has no business being in...I don't think it's the cause of obesity. Just like parents sending cupcakes in to school on their birthday doesn't cause childhood obesity.

If I got anything from that documentary...it is a reminder to always look at the list of ingredients before even considering putting it in your cart. However, I knew that before I plunked down to watch this.

Nice post. Although (just because it's a pet peeve) I find the tomato sauce example particularly odd since, although I don't add it myself and never have, it's a pretty traditional ingredient to add to cut the acidity. What bothers me most about that one is just how misleading the numbers are, though--my own homemade sugarless sauce has, well, 7 grams of sugar per serving, because of the tomatoes and veggies.

I'm actually going to force myself to watch it just because it comes up so incessantly. But first I started Forks Over Knives which so far is exactly what I expected (and I can't help but argue along while watching it which annoys everyone so my choice to watch it alone was the right one!), ;-)

Bread would've been a better one, really. Commercial bakeries in the US use sugar to speed up the proofing process, which is why anyone who visits the US from Europe gags when they try regular sandwich bread here.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Bread would've been a better one, really. Commercial bakeries in the US use sugar to speed up the proofing process, which is why anyone who visits the US from Europe gags when they try regular sandwich bread here.

Yeah. It's funny because I like sweet things, but I hate extra sweetness in things not supposed to be sweet (including, in my mind, coffee and tea) and one of the things that drove my mom crazy when I was a kid is that I wouldn't eat what I called "sliced bread" (basically bread from the grocery store vs. like what my grandmother would bake) and I hated cold cereal (which was typically sugary, of course).

I wonder if it's because in my mind those things weren't supposed to taste sweet and did. (I also dislike ketchup and sweetish salad dressings and anything honey mustard.)

Anyway, despite my personal preferences, I don't believe that obesity in the US has a thing to do with ketchup or the bit of sugar in our bread, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Some good points, but overall it's biased towards an agenda.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png